Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2011 forester 2.5x 5mt
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my Foz in for 48,000 km service yesterday. When finished, after I left the dealership, it seems the air vents blow very weak when in defog with air vent mode. The left side and right side vents blow fine, but the two middle vents are very weak and it seemed to blow stronger before the service. When in air vent only mode, they are all strong.
Is this normal?

·
Registered
2012 XT Touring 4EAT
3,751 Posts
Took my Foz in for 48,000 km service yesterday. When finished, after I left the dealership, it seems the air vents blow very weak when in defog with air vent mode. The left side and right side vents blow fine, but the two middle vents are very weak and it seemed to blow stronger before the service. When in air vent only mode, they are all strong. Is this normal?
Normal? This is the Subaru forum.

Seriously, what may have happened is this: Dealerships like to drum up sales. For example, while your vehicle in in the shop, they check out your cabin air filter and then suggest you need a new one. Maybe yours was so good they were ashamed to proceed . . . but then they managed to put it back in bass-ackwards or something.

I had this ^^^^^ happen at a Toyota dealership some years ago. Prior to 2009, changing or even accessing a Subaru Forester cabin air filter required serious disassembly. Starting in 2009, it is almost as easy as a Toyota :)

Regardless, it's worth a check. Who knows, the filter might even need replacing. Run you hand/arm down the ducts to see if there are any flow obstructions (like a rodent-built shopping plaza).

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
1,921 Posts
Yep - very likely to be a filter change foul up.
You could bring it into the dealer, but why not take the opportunity to fix it yourself.
It is super simple to change a Foz filter, and once you've done it for yourself paying $10 for the filter, you won't pay a dealer $125 ever again...
Plenty of youtubes out there, and it takes all of 2 minutes once you know what you are doing.
In case the video you end up watching doesn't say it - Be sure to pull the glove box straight out after you release it, so you don't damage the plastic hinge tabs.

·
Registered
2011 forester 2.5x 5mt
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your replies. I was trying to remember if the defog/air vent setting was that weak.
The thought of a the shop sabotaging my vehicle for a return visit did cross my mind.
I popped the hood for a quick look and nothing stood out.
Saw videos for cabin air filter replacement and agree, looks pretty straight forward and i'm probably due for a new one anyway.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
1,921 Posts
@wizy - This is one of those cases where the OEM part only adds additional dealer profit.
Why pay a premium price for the same thing? The Subaru box isn't even as nice, and Subaru doesn't make their own filters anyway.
There are several brands at less cost which work as well as the OEM filter, and they are all built and fit the same.

Buy what is on sale, and since you can do it yourself, you can buy a dozen for the same price as a single dealer change, and replace it anytime you get reduced airflow.
Living on a dirt road I change my filters - a lot. Like every couple of months. I've tried all of them and never noticed a difference between them.

·
Registered
2011 forester 2.5x 5mt
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks DS7. I confirmed the middle air vents are not supposed to blow air when in defog mode (was in my owner's manual - my bad). will replace the cabin air filter for good measure. I have a few suppliers other than the stealership, so will go with one of them. good to hear that they all work pretty much the same. Have you tried the FRAM filter with baking soda, activated charcoal?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts