Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2001 S Turbo Auto
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
answers please, as the sheer depth of information on here is bewildering :icon_eek:

many spanks

Mike

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
SF, SLS rear struts are painted bright lime green (standard is black, you canna' miss it cap'n)

SG, SLS rear struts have an additional 'red bull' sized canister on the side.

Simples

·
Registered
2002 SG XT Auto
3,490 Posts
SG's will fit on an SF's too. Done it to mine. Easy swap.

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
Coopsters pic is SG.

Simon

·
Registered
2001 S Turbo Auto
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes! Thought so. Great work fellers! Can't figure out if mine are sagging yet. It's on 109000 and no evidence of a towall ever being used. What should I measure??

Cheers mike

·
Registered
2002 SG XT Auto
3,490 Posts
Center of rear wheel to wheel arch straight above.

·
Registered
1997 T/tb
511 Posts
whan mine was saggy!!!! i couldnt fit 3 fingers between the top of the tyre and the wheel arch. Now i have repaired it i can fit my whole fist in!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2002 SG XT Auto
3,490 Posts
er..what are we talking about here? I know men have pet names for ladies bits, but they're just weird.

Ground to wheel arch i've got 29 3/4 inches or 755 mm on the rear.

·
Registered
05 XT2.5
1,995 Posts
Yes! Thought so. Great work fellers! Can't figure out if mine are sagging yet. It's on 109000 and no evidence of a towall ever being used. What should I measure??

Cheers mike
Put a lot of weight in the back and drive real fast. Then you'll know. If they still work you'll have nice firm suspension for a few days before they sink back down again.

·
Registered
2003 Forester 2.0X
2 Posts
So how does the SLS work if there is no compressor or air pipe attached? I replaced my SLS with non SLS KYB's and the back end dropped by seven inches. I thought I might have to get different springs as well!

·
Registered
1997 T/tb
511 Posts
I replaced my SLS with non SLS KYB's and the back end dropped by seven inches.!
mine was that low too.... headlights were pointing at the moon! and every bump i went over the rear end bottomed out!

i got pulled by the police because i was blinding him!

apparently you need the non sls springs to go with the non sls shocks....!!!

·
Registered
2001 S Turbo Auto
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No idea how the SLS struts work - I'm sure a Simon will be along in a minute to fill us all in on it. Or Mike P.

What I'm hankering after is a lower ride height with all of the ride quality that the standard set up offers. But KYBs are pretty stiff form memory on the MR2 I had a few years back.

Maybe if I go Impreza stock suspension I'll get lower ride but compliant ride quality.

Anyone care to comment?

·
Yorkshireman, not a DUDE!
2011 Mitsi RA Sportback SST
2,966 Posts
I have whiteline springs and kyb shocks now on the T/tb , done about 3/4k miles on them. Yes definitely firmer, no issue on motorway , A roads etc, bit harsher on B roads and teeth rattling on speed tables...B..U..T... the car is much better to drive, a better planted feeling on the road. Only a touch lower but that was what I wanted.

Good luck

Brian

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
The Rear SLS struts have an internal hydraulic spring thats is pumped up by the suspension movement as you drive along (hence it won't compensate as you load a car!) the valving is controled by the rideheight and so eventually they self level.

With the older style (commonly referred to as nivomat) its not unusual on even a fairly healthy set for it to sag a little stationary, so if your cars but looks a little low at the rear, drive it round the block and remeasure as you park up, bet its gone up by 10-15mm!

Simon

·
Registered
2001 S Turbo Auto
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
simon, I've just done this and you're completely correct. Always seems saggier at the back after it's been standing for a while; your comments above match this.

I'm presuming there's nowt wrong with the rear shox now, so I'll keep them 'as is' until I can save a few more £60s up!!! cheers, Mike

·
Registered
2014 XE CVT
1,360 Posts
Just had to replace mine at 60k: one leaking badly,one seeping, according to MoT tester. Not very impressed, as I have rarely carried heavy loads. Even at £900, still cheaper than a new car though! In all other respects the car appears to be in perfect condition.

·
Registered
2003 Forester 2.0X
2 Posts
I replaced both front and rear shocks on my '03 SG 2.0X because the ride had over the previous months become very hard (crashy). New shocks helped a bit but it is still rough.

Unfortunately I fitted non SLS rears instead of SLS so the springs are too short. Went to the local factors today to order either non SLS springs or SLS shocks, but the KYB catalog doesn't list anything for later than '02.

Rear shocks fitted are KYB334344 r/h and 334345 l/h.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT 5MT
33 Posts
On a SG XT MY08 I have black rear struts without any canister on the side. The code for the right rear strut is 20360SA220. Is it definetely that this is a non-sls strut?

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,870 Posts
On a SG XT MY08 I have black rear struts without any canister on the side. The code for the right rear strut is 20360SA220. Is it definetely that this is a non-sls strut?
Can't give a definitive answer............

For the final year of SG manufacture the part numbers for European (LHD & RHD) are listed as RR-20360SA220 (SA221) and LR-20360SA230 (SA231).

There are no comments attached re: SLEV as with previous MY's.
There is also only one spring part no listed.

However at nearly $400 a pop each, I suspect they are. :biggrin:

It could be they have reverted back to the internal SL setup as per the SF's

1 - 20 of 47 Posts