·
Registered
2011 Toyota Tacoma DCSB Auto
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Deer/Animal mishaps Start here

Lets post up what animals or deer mishaps we have in this thread

Here is my story
Well tonite i was leavin the airport from a rotor and wing meeting headed to dorm. Niped a small deer took out the pass headlight messed up the fender and bumper hood looks good but will see tomarrow in better light and some pics to follow

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,459 Posts
Venison stew on the menu?

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wish may b some friends from back home will send me some deer jerkey. From what i could see that got damaged it was a small young deer a yearling maybe?

·
Registered
2010 dodge caravan auto
1,748 Posts
Last year I nailed a deer on the 401 (ontario canada) with my tractor trailer. the deer did about $15000 damage on the truck

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Added Pics

·
Premium Member
2015 OutBack Ltd
2,921 Posts
I installed an XP3 Hornet electronic device on both of our cars, after my wife's CRV "met" two deer. The first cost $2500-, the second did $3500- in damages...

My insurance agent suggested that we check on the Hornet altho she could not substantiate its effectiveness....

I checked the website, decided to risk $59- and take a chance. The inventor has over 100 patents on various inventions and conceived the Hornet when two of his friends were killed in deer/car mishaps.....

We live in central western New jersey and are over run with deer. I can only say, withour hesitancy, that the device(s) work as advertised. They don't "scare" the animals as much as warn them that you are approaching. We've seen deer stop in their tracks, turn and look at us as we approach them......

No device is 100% foolproof but this works far better than anything else I've seen or tried....

I had posted images of my install on my 2003 Forester which happened to be the first time I asked members of the Forums for some help on finding a specific metric nut to attach the XP3 to my car.....

I can repost if you need some help!

Steve

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tkx for the info toys ive looked into that before but didnt know y i didnt get one but will b lookin into one again

well went to get an est today $2321.80 this est was sent to insurance but well see what they say

im gona get back to studyin later yall

·
Registered
2006 Forester X
15 Posts
Not wanted to start anything here, but I have a friend that used to do traffic accident data analysis and has reviewed a number of studies looking at the effectiveness of deer whistles and found no actual data shows that they are effective at preventing deer vs vehicle accidents.

Mike

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
toysbyus could you repost those pics? what do you think of it since you installed it ???

·
Premium Member
2015 OutBack Ltd
2,921 Posts
Sure, I'll re-post tomorrow (Sat.)......

I really like the XP3......my wife and I have seen definite deer movements that indicate that they hear the noise approx. 400 feet or so down the roads around here.

I would point out that there is no noise that "scares" deer away. The best you can hope for is that the deer hear you coming. A deer, already in flight running from something else, will very possible dart into the roadway, regardless of anything else.

The inventor is very upfront about this........one still has to drive very defensively, especially at night.

That being said, I still strongly suggest the XP3.....I figure anything that works even 50% efficiently is worth the price.........the inventor claims approx. 70% effectiveness and I would agree with his estimate.

Look for the picture postings tomorrow.....

Steve

·
Premium Member
2015 OutBack Ltd
2,921 Posts
Here're my install pictures.....

Hope they resize and post well. I wrote the Forums to ask if anyone knew what size nut the two vertically oriented pointed bolts used....these are under the front bumper in the recessed area.

Some kind soul (whose name I cannot recall....if you're still out there, thanks again!!).

I basically bent the supplied bracket as shown and secured it to one of the bolts with the proper metric fastener. The device has to mount at a 45° angle to the roadway so the sound can riccochet down the road.

As an aside, XP3 also sells a trucker version that is even more powerful but the basic model is just fine, in our experience.

In any case, I picked up a nice black paddle switch at Walmart and Dremeled out a hole for it on one of the switch blanks to the left side of the steering wheel...it illuminates with a red LED and cost less than $5.00

If you have any questions, just let me know by PM-ing me.

Steve

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
M10x1.25

·
Premium Member
2015 OutBack Ltd
2,921 Posts
Yeah, that was the size! Went to Home Depot and found the proper metric nut and lock washer for pennies......

If someone can explain why my 72 DPI image at 800X600 pixel size posts so small, I'd like to re-post the two images....

I'm on a MAC so the picture sizing application that some others have used is not available to me. I resized the images in Photoshop CS....

Steve

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,441 Posts
If someone can explain why my 72 DPI image at 800X600 pixel size posts so small, I'd like to re-post the two images....
It might be because the image size was over the max. allowed, so it automaticly resized them

Doubt it

Max file size for a jpeg = 1.9 MB

Attachments

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,441 Posts
You could sent it to WebmasterPaul at Gmail dot com and I could try and see

·
Premium Member
2015 OutBack Ltd
2,921 Posts
Hi again:

I'd gladly do that but I want to learn how to resize without bugging other people.

Doesn't anyone else out there use a Mac? Surely someone uses Photoshop to resize.....

Any suggestions would be gladly received.

Presently, I open the 300 DPI image from my canera in Photoshop CS. I check the image size and it's default at 300 DPI. That's where the fun starts.

I can set the horiz./vert. dpi size to 800 X 600 but still have no idea why the images come thru so small. Perhaps I should save the images in a different format??

I also tried uploading two images and they were kicked back saying that they were still too large!

I use Photoshop/Illustrator every day professionally but have not had to post images to the web so I'm sure this is happens at my end....

Steve

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,459 Posts
This is how I do it (in Photoshop, but on a PC):

- set pixel dimensions to 800 x 600
- set resolution to 100 pixels/inch
- go to the File menu and select "Save for Web"
- set quality to anywhere between 40 and 60 and click OK to save.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts