Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
06 XTen
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

only had the car a couple of weeks, and loving it. However, got in the car yesterday morning and noticed some dash lights that didn't go out after start-up.

Gearbox/transmission icon = steady on
Cruise = Flashing
traction control off = steady on

The best I can get from the manual is "something to do with emissions". The garage can't get it in 'till Thursday, so I was after some anecdotal evidence of the most likely scenario. e.g. "they all do that, it's probably an O2 sensor", or "sucks teeth......cats gone mate!"

Cheers,
Paul

·
Registered
06 XTen
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How very dare you give me the "noob speech" on search terms. I said I didn't have the code, just a series of dashboard icons, and I also asked for user experiences, not a smart mouth reply.

Thanks anyway.

·
Yorkshireman, not a DUDE!
2011 Mitsi RA Sportback SST
2,966 Posts
Give Glen or Becky a call at Carnetix (Melton Mowbray) and tell them I passed the contact onto you ( just trust me on this ) tell them the problem and see what they say. They really are very helpful.

Good luck.

Brian

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,254 Posts
Does the gearbox icon look like this:

It would also help to know some details about your car.

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
First steps first, what year is your car? TC implies a 2004 on SG, but knowledge is power.

If you have a MIL as posted by BACS it may be emissions related, otherwise probably not.

To be fair to Stealth who you slagged off, you asked for help decyphering error codes (your title) and then slagged him off when he pointed out a search would have found that thread, the fact you got the title wrong (you don't want help decyphering ocdes as you don't have them) is not Stealths fault I think!

If its 01on as I suspect then any generic code reader will give you the codes you want (depending on what the failure is), any local garages that know you that will read it for free/minimal cost?

Simon

·
Yorkshireman, not a DUDE!
2011 Mitsi RA Sportback SST
2,966 Posts
Just had a look in my SF handbook but basically refers all warning light issues back to dealer.
Sorry can't help more.

Good luck
Brian

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
I believe a number of 09+ SH owners have had those same lights come on and they had to bring it back to the dealer for warranty work (I believe it was some sensor for the VDC system? maybe steering sensor?)

·
Registered
05 XT2.5
1,995 Posts
Hi folks,

only had the car a couple of weeks, and loving it. However, got in the car yesterday morning and noticed some dash lights that didn't go out after start-up.

Gearbox/transmission icon = steady on
Cruise = Flashing
traction control off = steady on

The best I can get from the manual is "something to do with emissions". The garage can't get it in 'till Thursday, so I was after some anecdotal evidence of the most likely scenario. e.g. "they all do that, it's probably an O2 sensor", or "sucks teeth......cats gone mate!"

Cheers,
Paul
Pretty much whatever code you get will give you those lights. Doesn't tell you nowt till you plug it in to the diagnostic.

I get overboost fuel cut in fact I get it so often I've disabled it in the fault library. I know when it's done it - don't need a damn light flashing at me.

·
Registered
06 XTen
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Found a friendly garage who read the code for me. P1410 with the description "manufacturer specified code"...not a great help.

I googled the code lists bust most went from P1400 to P1420, and skipped P1410.

I phone Carnitex who were brilliantly helpful and came up with "Secondary air combination valve open". Which means the air pump is full of water and stuck open. (It's part of the emission system and helps to dilute the exhaust....yanks call it a smog pump I think.) It's not a cheap fix but I have some dealer warranty and goodwill that will cover it.

Google then revealed a huge thread on this very forum, and it seems to aftect a lot of '06 2.5L cars.

Thanks all.

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f87/check-engine-cruise-lights-57248/

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
(It's part of the emission system and helps to dilute the exhaust....yanks call it a smog pump I think.)
For info its not like the old Yank smog pumps (although they may still call them that), it runs just after cold start and in combination with the engine running rich it initiates out of engine ignition of unburnt furl to heat the catalyst, can be very effective, I've seen a catalyst go from stone cold to glowing cherry red in 20 seconds using one.

Simon

·
Registered
MY08 2.5XT Turbo
56 Posts
Found a friendly garage who read the code for me. P1410 with the description "manufacturer specified code"...not a great help.

I googled the code lists bust most went from P1400 to P1420, and skipped P1410.

I phone Carnitex who were brilliantly helpful and came up with "Secondary air combination valve open". Which means the air pump is full of water and stuck open. (It's part of the emission system and helps to dilute the exhaust....yanks call it a smog pump I think.) It's not a cheap fix but I have some dealer warranty and goodwill that will cover it.

Google then revealed a huge thread on this very forum, and it seems to aftect a lot of '06 2.5L cars.

Thanks all.

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f87/check-engine-cruise-lights-57248/
Hi there...
I had the same issue with my 2008 2.5XT just couple of months ago - same code description - secondary air valve stuck open/close. Guys at the dealer took the valve out and cleaned it (with sandpaper as I saw) - took them some hour and half for that action...
4 weeks later I got the same CEL combination up again! I was damn angry and went back at the dealer but this time they only did a computer engine re-set (or whatever they call it ... ecu reset?) and it worked (still free of any CELs!). I insisted on getting a new air valve since my car is still under 3 years warranty and they responded positively! That piece is quite expensive one though... some 700 euros as I heard!
Regards from Belgrade, Serbia!

·
Registered
06 XTen
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi there...
I had the same issue with my 2008 2.5XT just couple of months ago - same code description - secondary air valve stuck open/close. Guys at the dealer took the valve out and cleaned it (with sandpaper as I saw) - took them some hour and half for that action...
4 weeks later I got the same CEL combination up again! I was damn angry and went back at the dealer but this time they only did a computer engine re-set (or whatever they call it ... ecu reset?) and it worked (still free of any CELs!). I insisted on getting a new air valve since my car is still under 3 years warranty and they responded positively! That piece is quite expensive one though... some 700 euros as I heard!
Regards from Belgrade, Serbia!
That's exactly what they've just done on Mine. Cleaned the pump, reset the codes, and it's been OK now for three days.:woohoo: I only have 2 months of warranty left, so I hope that IF it does it again, it's before it runs out.:shake:

Nice to have some positive confirmation of the same problem all the same.

·
Registered
MY08 2.5XT Turbo
56 Posts
Hey Camaro -

did they charge anything for that? Any guess how much the new valve might cost?

·
Registered
06 XTen
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey Camaro -

did they charge anything for that? Any guess how much the new valve might cost?
Just labour I believe, to clean it up. £44 for half an hour!!!!

As the post above suggests, not much change out of £500 to replace it...so if it breaks, it needs to do it in the next 8 weeks please.:tissue:

·
Registered
MY08 2.5XT Turbo
56 Posts
That's uncool...
I paid nothing, not even the labour as my Forester is still under warranty! Is that the service where you bought your car at?
Vuk

·
Registered
06 XTen
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That's uncool...
I paid nothing, not even the labour as my Forester is still under warranty! Is that the service where you bought your car at?
Vuk
I didn't have to pay, as it was covered by my warranty. It was done at a Subaru garage though, as the dealer I bought it from was a Saab main dealer.

However, it has since been back to another Subaru dealer as the code returned twice in the following week. They have replaced the faulty valve under warranty, and all is good again. (Although the mechanic did say my air pump was unusually noisy..:icon_confused:)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts