Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2004 X AWP
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, what do people recommend as decent mainly road going tyres for the my04 foz with original 15inch wheels?
I might need some off road/crap road conditions capabilites, but 90% will be normal road use.

Thanks in advance

·
Mad Englishman.
MY06 Forester STi 6MT
4,157 Posts
Hi all, what do people recommend as decent mainly road going tyres for the my04 foz with original 15inch wheels?
I might need some off road/crap road conditions capabilites, but 90% will be normal road use.

Thanks in advance
There's been some recent tyre threads in this forum too so I suggest having a quick "search" too...

Rich

·
Registered
1997 T/tb
511 Posts
Quick fit and National are breaking each others back at the moment trying to get your custom!.

unless you are wanting a specific brand, by the time you have bought tyres online, paid for shipping, fitting, ballancing and disposal of old tyres it becomes quite expensive! I know Quick fit dont have the best reputation for other vehicle repairs, but they do have good tyre ballancing equipment, i certainly wouldnt trust them to do anything else other than tyres! but its worth seeing what deals they have.

the one around the corner from me has an offer buy 3 tyres get 4th free.

·
Premium Member
1,540 Posts
In my opinion, Camskill is generally the cheapest and most efficient of the tyre e-tailers. Search around (esp. if you offer cash for a 'lunchtime job') and you should be able to find fitting prices of £25 - £40 (inc. valves, balancing, disposal etc).

·
Registered
233 Posts
We've got Falken 452's on the XT and Bridgestone RE050's on the STI. Current weather pattern means they've been driving in dry to absolutley sodden conditions; and I think the 452's are the better of the two. Neither are as good as the GS-D3's at the ragged edge but the 452's hang in there better than the 050's.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Apart from brakes your tyres are key for safety and roadholding, avoid any tyres older than 4 years + any Eastern European makes , stick to premium brands and be happy.
Try balckcircles.com or if you know anyone with a Costco card thier deals on Michelin are better than trade.

·
Registered
2005 2.5 XTE
59 Posts
Well I've got Falken 452's on my 944 Turbo and believe them to be as good as the Michelin Pilot Sports I had on before them. I don't think they will have the longevity of the Michelins however the cost outweighs that. Would not hesitate to put them on the Foz.

·
Premium Member
2006 Impreza WRX with PPP Manual of course! ;-)
1,522 Posts
In my opinion, Camskill is generally the cheapest and most efficient of the tyre e-tailers.
+1 for Camskill, I've had good results from my Kumho KH11's (albeit in the 16" version). The price is very competitive.

·
Premium Member
1,540 Posts
I too have had good experience of Falken 452s, this time on the FSTi. A huge improvement compared to the OE Bridgestones.

But have recently swapped them for Hankook Ventus V12 Evos. Fairly new tyre that reviews very well e.g. tyretest.com. A thousand miles on and they're superb. Outstanding levels of dry grip, progressive breakaway, sharpens up handling and remarkably quiet. Oh, and available very cheaply via the good folk at Camskill

·
Registered
2014 XE CVT
1,361 Posts
About 3.5 years ago I bought a set of ex-turbo wheels and tyres, Eagle F1s, for my n/a Forester. The tyres were actually one size up on standard at 225/55/16. They gripped very well but the ride was very harsh and thumpy, and I could feel the extra drag.

Yesterday I had a set of 215/60/16 Dunlop Sport tyres fitted by Event Tyres, who come to you to fit them in a fully fitted out van, £306 for 4.

Obviously haven't fully tested them as I'm running them in for a couple of hundred miles, but first impressions are favourable.

Strangely, they are made in Australia!

·
Registered
2000 S-Turbo Manual
118 Posts
Strangely, they are made in Australia
Be careful as they may be poor in cold weather.

Some tyres for the Far East markets are made from firmer compounds that tolerate the high temps (30+C) but are not intended to ever see frost.

Some tyre dealers allegedly get these tyres cheap and sell them as UK market tyres.

Not sure how you can tell the difference between UK/Euro market tyres and SE Asia ones tho....

·
Premium Member
3,143 Posts
should be [E] marked

·
Registered
2004 X AWP
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the replies, after doing a bit of reseach i think i'll go for 5 x Vredesteins from Camskil, the quatrac 2's sound like they might be just what i need at the moment.

·
Registered
1999 S Turbo
64 Posts
I have verdestiens on my s-turbo for the last 32,000 miles no problems at all, they are just about coming to the end - should get another 2-3,000 miles outta them:biggrin:

Great value for that mileage :woohoo:

·
Registered
2014 XE CVT
1,361 Posts
Be careful as they may be poor in cold weather.

Some tyres for the Far East markets are made from firmer compounds that tolerate the high temps (30+C) but are not intended to ever see frost.

Some tyre dealers allegedly get these tyres cheap and sell them as UK market tyres.

Not sure how you can tell the difference between UK/Euro market tyres and SE Asia ones tho....
They have an E mark and some US/Canada specs on the sidewall, so I assume they are OK.

·
Registered
2004 XT2.0 MT
112 Posts
Just swapped to Toyo open country H/T on my 04, too new to know how they are at present but no more squeal :icon_biggrin: had toyos on all my previous cars and always liked them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts