Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
01 forester sport
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i decided to debadge my MY01sf sport a week ago. i took pictures with my phone and my phone is shut off for the moment. ill post pictures when its back on later this week. i used the hairdryer method with dental floss and wd40. i got all the lettering off and all of the glue too. but the outline of the letters for the SUBARU and still there. the glue gunk is gone , but not the outline. :confused: if you look closely you can see it. but not from a distance. i was missing the u from subaru and decided it would look better without them now im thinking i shouldnt have done it. i even used goo gone to try to rid of the outline. is their anything else that i should try or something that i should of done differently?? any help is greatly appreciated.

tony

·
Registered
2009 Forester
1,155 Posts
go to walmart...

get meguiar ultimate compound ...

·
Registered
01 forester sport
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
not only did i just get her in february but it was my first subaru. :woohoo: so i couldnt have done it 9 years ago..

·
Registered
04 forester xt
969 Posts
i just did the debadge as well. i have the same problem plus i accidently chipped the paint with a razor trying to get the glue off. ive tried rubbing compound and polish by hand. the outline is still there, so the next thing to try is use a high speed buffer. that should work.

·
Registered
2014 2.0XT CVT
3,069 Posts
unfortunately I can't see the pictures at work but is it an outline of the letters or can you see the whole word? Paint will fade quite a lot over 10 years and where the letters won't didn't see any sun so it won't fade there. Also dirt and debris will tend to build up next to the letters and start to wear at the paint a little so that might be the issue as well. If the paint is faded then there's probably no amount of buffing to fix that.

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT Limited 4EAT
2,000 Posts
Should have done it about 9 years ago...
So SO funny!

A good detail with clay bar will help to blend/remove anything that is not paint fade or razor blade chip.
As an aside...

DON'T USE RAZOR BLADES ON PAINT!

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,015 Posts
Hit up the detailing section in your local Wal-Mart or Autozone.
Meguiar's makes a great clay bar combo that should work well... but it'll only really do so much. If you get yourself a mildy abbrasive car wax (scratch removal variety) you should be able to blend things in after a couple applications.
Rubbing compound and or a clay bar should yield the best results though.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,857 Posts
rubbing compound? never heard of it.... :confused:
Simply, it's an abrasive, take a look here. There's even a video on how the process is done. I doubt if you need to use anything too abrasive & it's always better to start off with as light as possible, finishing off with a good wax, since any wax will be removed during the process. :wink:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
376 Posts
This is the only abrasive "compound" that will ever touch my paint and I also like their final polish for a super fantastic shine toped off with paint sealer and or wax, good luck and as far as high speed buffing goes, I wouldn't practice on your car if I were you although a properly outfitted random orbital is safe and effective for most weekend detailers.

Menzerna<br>Intensive Polish<br>PO91E - 32 oz.

·
Registered
04 forester xt
969 Posts
:shake:i know i know, razor bad idea. i dont know what i was thinking, i just wanted the glue off this one spot and thought it would come off easier with some spray .should have taken my time and do it right.i debaded my old spec v when it was new and it was pretty easy but the xt is 6years old
that adhesive was on there good.

the outline is fade . high speed buffer should make it look alot better with the right product. some polish and elbow grease will help.

·
Registered
2010 FORESTER XT PREMIUM
6 Posts
unfortunately I can't see the pictures at work but is it an outline of the letters or can you see the whole word? Paint will fade quite a lot over 10 years and where the letters won't didn't see any sun so it won't fade there. Also dirt and debris will tend to build up next to the letters and start to wear at the paint a little so that might be the issue as well. If the paint is faded then there's probably no amount of buffing to fix that.
x2 that would have to be the best answer.

P.S is there any specific reason for debadging? if there is i might as well do it this year

·
2010 Forester XT 4EAT
1,118 Posts
I debadged in about 3 seconds with a heat gun and my fingers. The glue all lifted right off like rubber cement in one piece. Still have the Subaru and Forester, but took off the Symetrical AWD and the XT.

I have a 2010 so it was way to easy!:Banane17:

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,732 Posts
I de-badged mine and I could EASILY see the "SUBARU" on my rear molding under the rear window. My paint was perfect, but faded just enough. (and it's an 04). Bugged me enough to think I could spray it satin black (FAIL). So I had to order a new valance from Jackie. it was $35 bucks shipped and already de-badged. :biggrin:

·
Registered
03 FoFo X
22 Posts
I de-badged mine and I could EASILY see the "SUBARU" on my rear molding under the rear window. My paint was perfect, but faded just enough. (and it's an 04). Bugged me enough to think I could spray it satin black (FAIL). So I had to order a new valance from Jackie. it was $35 bucks shipped and already de-badged. :biggrin:
The rear valance you speak of is the one just under the rear wiper? Where the Subaru badges are..

My wiper has corroded and stained the piece below, so I haven't debadged it yet being that I want to replace the entire piece, I think.

EDIT: I also was going to say that I used Goof Off instead of Goo Gone in the past and didn't have the outline problem, if there is a difference between the 2 products.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts