Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5X Prem
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been trying to decide on a new forester or CRV or something else before fall and have some problems with the local dealers. It is the dealer i got my 08 civic from and i have had all my servicing done by them and i have had great service. The problem is the salesman i bought my car from comes and talks to me just about every time i go there and is very friendly so i mention i am looking at the crv so he takes me to look at them. Well he shows me every square inch of the car and all and we go back to his office and he rights down some prices for me and i told him i would be back soon. While walking back to my car i look at the prices and they were only $200 off sticker. So do i go back and deal with him or go somewhere else? My problem is i cannot decide between the forester and the crv and the best price might win.

·
Registered
02 Forester L (sold) Manual
1,220 Posts
The new car buying process is ridiculous and a huge time waster. I would only buy one via the internet. Most people I've spoken to who do this get pretty good deals.

What other business puts a new product out for sale but the price tag is essentially meaningless? Reason #321 I only buy used cars.

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,155 Posts
Help us help you by putting your full location in your profile. That way this will show up whenever you post, and we can fine tune any advice we might offer on this and any other questions you might have in the future. Specifically, some of our members might have good knowledge of the dealer situation in your area and would be happy to point you in the right direction if they knew where you lived. Without that information, it's all just generalities.

You can get to the profile by pulling down Quick Links from the tan bar at the top of every page.

·
Registered
2010 Forester X Premium
931 Posts
Know before you walk in how much you willing to pay, what you want, and dont budge. Don't get upset if the delear is trying to make money, I am surre if you be in the same business you would do the same. The most important thing is to not be afraid to walk in there are many other places that will welcome your business. Honda is known for tight inventory and strick prices (depending on the area you live in) their cars get sold on their own based on their extended reputation.

I always found is harder to find the honda I like, than get the price I am willing to pay. lol

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5X Prem
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So i have been requesting some internet quotes from some of the local dealers and they give me the msrp for the vehicle. I emailed the ford dealer sking why he gave me the msrp and he replied this
I can understand that you can get the MSRP's off the internet you can even get invoice prices on certain vehicles. Ford does not do any special pricing plans from dealership to dealership. I will not lose your business over price or lose your interest because of price.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
376 Posts
That guy should run for political office, are you sure you don't have a target on your back or something?

I have never been treated like that by any dealer in my life. Decide on exactly what you want, phone them, ask for the sales manager and tell them you want their best "out the door" price on your chosen vehicle.

You may not get to speak to the sales manager but tell them you are serious cash buyer and that you are ready to buy today but don't have time to waste running from dealer to dealer and are strictly shopping price and if they want to "move a unit," they will give you a good "out the door" price.

Tell them there is no trade in even if there is and tell them it is a cash deal and you already have financing even if you don't, that way you will get a price devoid of anything that may hide the price they are actually charging you and it doesn't allow them to conceal the real price with interest rates or vehicle trade in prices if you have a trade in.

Once you have your best "out the door" price, then you can throw a trade-in into the deal if you like, or talk about financing or even shop a payment, but always look back at the original "out the door" price and make them account for every penny above that price or every penny below the value of your trade in if you have one because the final price with tax tag and title will always be on the sales contract and another interest point or a dealer fee is a common tactic for them to make more money on the inexperienced buyer.

Don't be afraid to shop it out of State either because if they want to charge you MSRP, you can always fly somewhere to pick it up if you don't have a trade in and then drive back home and still have money left over.

Their job is to sell you a car for as much as they can and your job is to pay as little as possible, do your job and don't be offended or put off if they try to do their's and lie when you need to, they will lie to you. Never back down, don't be timid and never be afraid to leave the dealership if you are being jerked around or they will eat you alive, that's what many of them were born to do and apparently you look or sound like dinner to them, lol.

By the way, ask them for the MSRP on the vehicle prior to any dealer add ons lie cargo covers and so on so that you know you are comparing identical vehicles and you can figure in dealer add ons later if need be but the dealers all have the same price on the stickers prior to dealer options and that is the only way that you will know what you are looking at, if the original sticker price is exactly the same, you have to shop exactly what you want and know what that is to make the best deal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts