Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’ve shopped around for a 2019 Forester premium. Looked at the 13 package which is all weather and the 14 which is push button start and blindspot monitor. Went to three dealers. One I purchased from before and like. One near my house don’t like but gave best price although when asked to give me a printout of breakdo he says system can’t do it. Yet the other dealer gave me a printout with cost of car, the discount given , fees and total price. Is this other dealer just jerking me ariund. I wanted the printout so I can see if first dealer will match price as would prefer to but from him. Honest and upfront.

·
Registered
2015 Forester I-Premium 6MT
2,363 Posts
The dealer that cant do it is probably going to add fees or some other padding.
I had that once where one dealer was 500$ to buyout my ford lease, other dealer was $250

Well the 250dealer had a bunch of $$$ to add to THEIR 250 fee.. ended up being $489
should have just went to the other dealer who was upfront with the cost.

I usually email dealers and ask for the out the door cost(quote).. then use that at my preferred dealer to knock off another couple hundred.

·
Registered
2019 Touring CVT
291 Posts
Your job is to get the lowest price for the car you want. The dealers job is to get the highest price possible for every car. Cars are one of the very few products that don’t have a price. We create own best price. Yes, dealers will trick you if you take your eye off the details.

·
Registered
2019 Forester
36 Posts
They tried to add a 300 fee on top of the standard dealer fee for nitrogen filled tires and some other bs. They will do anything to pocket a little extra.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Premium CVT
11 Posts
I had a dealer do the same to me. Told me he couldn't do it and that "his system won't allow them to print an invoice if a deal isn't made". If you can wait, just wait and see if they want to make the sale. They know you are shopping and don't want you going anywhere else with that printout.

·
Registered
2016 Forester CVT
180 Posts
Nitrogen filled tires are BS unless you're in a race and a fraction of a second matters. This really happened:
ME: I don't want to pay for the nitrogen in the tires.
SALES MANAGER: Sorry, it's already in there.
ME: Did it come from the factory with nitrogen, or did you put it in there?
SALES MANAGER: We put it in there.
ME: Then you can take your air out and put the free factory air back in.
SALES MANAGER: That does not make any sense!
ME: Neither does charging a customer for something they don't want or need, especially considering the air is already 78% nitrogen. Besides, how do I know your nitrogen is any better?
SALES MANAGER: So you're spending $X for a new car and going to walk away over $N?
ME: So you're going to refuse a $X deal over $N while the nitrogen costs you next to nothing?
SALES MANAGER: [Leaves the table very angry -he walked into that one]

Long-story short: Don't ever pay for nitrogen. (And yes, the dealership relented, but the sales manager would not talk to me ever again. Even when I was there for service. This made me happier than the paltry $N I saved.)

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
316 Posts
Nitrogen filled tires are BS unless you're in a race and a fraction of a second matters. This really happened:
ME: I don't want to pay for the nitrogen in the tires.
SALES MANAGER: Sorry, it's already in there.
ME: Did it come from the factory with nitrogen, or did you put it in there?
SALES MANAGER: We put it in there.
ME: Then you can take your air out and put the free factory air back in.
SALES MANAGER: That does not make any sense!
ME: Neither does charging a customer for something they don't want or need, especially considering the air is already 78% nitrogen. Besides, how do I know your nitrogen is any better?
SALES MANAGER: So you're spending $X for a new car and going to walk away over $N?
ME: So you're going to refuse a $X deal over $N while the nitrogen costs you next to nothing?
SALES MANAGER: [Leaves the table very angry -he walked into that one]

Long-story short: Don't ever pay for nitrogen. (And yes, the dealership relented, but the sales manager would not talk to me ever again. Even when I was there for service. This made me happier than the paltry $N I saved.)
That’s hilarious!!!

·
Registered
2019 Forester
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Long story short I gave the numbers I got to to the dealer I really wanted to buy from. He went lower on both premium levels. The only issue is has to order my color and may take some time. So they will lock in trade in value they gave but can’t lock in the 3.49 % finance. They told me Subaru rarely changes the interest anyway so should be the same or lower. Hope that’s true. Overall good deal. For the 7 dollar a month payment difference will get the premium with push button start and glide spot detection. He will even throw in all,weather mats if doesn’t have them

·
Registered
2018 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
2,937 Posts
So I’ve shopped around for a 2019 Forester premium. Looked at the 13 package which is all weather and the 14 which is push button start and blindspot monitor. Went to three dealers. One I purchased from before and like. One near my house don’t like but gave best price although when asked to give me a printout of breakdo he says system can’t do it. Yet the other dealer gave me a printout with cost of car, the discount given , fees and total price. Is this other dealer just jerking me ariund. I wanted the printout so I can see if first dealer will match price as would prefer to but from him. Honest and upfront.
The short of it? Yes. The long of it? Hell yes. The bottom line? Stay away. They will never give you promised deal.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
2,453 Posts
Most dealers will NOT give you a printout of the invoice to take home but they WILL show it to you at the dealership. I have just used my Smart Phone to take a pic of the invoice and used that for my reference. No one has ever stopped me from taking a picture of it but don't ask to do so...just whip out your phone and take a quick pic:wink2:

·
Registered
1999 Forester S
457 Posts
Dealers are out there to collect as much of your money as they possibly can. You job is to keep as much money as you possibly can. You have the money, you have the power. Don't ever feel like you HAVE to buy a car, there is always another dealer happy to undercut the guy you just left.

·
Registered
2018 Forester 2.5 Touring CVT
105 Posts
I used costco auto program and received quotes from different dealers, then i tried to use the lowest quote as the ceiling price and sent it to other dealers to ask them to beat the price. However, most of the dealers say they will only match the price but not beat it.

so what should be my next step and how should i negotiate further? Thanks

·
Registered
2019 Forester
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Maybe they changed things but I’ve always gotten a break down of the cost of vehicle , the discount offered, the tax and fees. Even if by e mail
I’ve couldnt even get an e mail of the info like I did from internet prices. No matter. Going Friday to put a deposit on a 2019 Forester premium and am happy with price I got.

·
Registered
2017 Forester
131 Posts
Wife and I were playing 2 dealers off of each other and the one swore they had the Premium in stock and the color so we went there to find out they did NOT have a single Premium on the lot. They also had the gall to say that since the 'other' dealer usually added x-dollars for prep they were going to add that into the price as well ( some $849.00 ). After haggling we were walking out and they pulled us in and said they just 'found' the car on the lot, drove it up to us, and had a contract in hand for us to sign... I discovered that it was the base-model ( not the Premium ) so I walk into the place and right in front of the managers desk and I call the other location, and in a loud voice told the other dealer how I was being snookered... and walked out. The manager just hung his head in shame.

The other dealer honored the price agreed upon ( without the so-called $849 fee ) and it was about $1,800 LOWER than the other jerks.

We arrived, signed the papers, and left no muss no fuss.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i
46 Posts
How does the Costco price compare to the price for being a member of some outdoors organizations? For instance some bicycling, xc-ski and paddling groups (American Canoe Association). I know that a 6 month membership is required...

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport Rubber band
524 Posts
Costco and Organization discounts should be considered starting points not final prices.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts