Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2017 Forester XT Premium CVT
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every summer since new, my '17 XT has some kind of AC problem. The first summer there was no "Freon" (whatever it is these days) in the system, so they topped it off and it worked all Summer. The second Summer there was no freon so they replaced the compressor and lines and topped it off (under warranty) and it worked all Summer.

This is my 3rd Summer and this year, when I turn the AC on the dash lights up with dummy lights and every imaginable warning on the screen and it goes into limp mode. My scanner app shows codes U0101 (Lost Communication with TCM) and U0073 (Control Module Communucation Bus A Off). If I don't use the AC I never have this issue, but when I'm stuck in traffic and it's hot and I hit the AC button it only takes a few minutes to happen.

So I made an appointment at my dealer and dropped the car off last night. I had to clear the codes to drive the car there. Duh. So they called me this morning and said there were no light lit up on the dash and it seemed fine. I told them I couldn't drive there without clearing the codes, so, duh. They said they would call me back.

They called back and said there were no codes stored in the computer and they could not replicate the problem. I grumpily picked the car up, turned the AC on, and sat in the lot for about 10 minutes, but it didn't do it. Until I was almost home! What the heck man! I pulled into someones driveway and cleared it, and drove home.

I guess I won't have AC this Summer. Does the computer really not store codes on 2017 cars, when the problem is so severe that it basically shuts my car down to protect itself? I was very happy with my saleswoman back in Summer of 2016, but every service visit has been disappointing. They can never find any of my problems, and I end up going to my non-Subaru mechanic who quickly diagnoses and fixes it.

Sorry for the rant, I'm mad.

·
Registered
2005 Forester X and XT Manual and Auto
942 Posts
Dang that sucks on a 2017, i'd be mad too, but i can understand wanting to replicate an issue to troubleshoot it. Maybe set aside some time, drive to the dealer, let them know you are there, then turn on the AC and do laps around the dealer until it happens, limp into service bay..."I reproduced it for ya"

·
Premium Member
2014 Touring with Eyesigh CVT
610 Posts
I hope the rant help you a little, since nothing can be done. The code are stored until they are cleared, just like any computer component. The dealership will not able to fix any issue, warranty or not, without having the codes to use for diagnosis. I guess next time just have it flatbed to their location. Good Luck!

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the Soul

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guy, but that's a bummer. I work 40 miles from home, so if it goes into limp mode I really don't want to pay a couple hundred to tow it to dealer. All I have to do is turn the ac off, clear the code, shut the motor down and restart it without the AC on. But then they can't diagnose it, and it's still under warranty.

I think I'll do as NinoS suggested and find some time to drive around near the Dealership on a hot day with the AC on. Just need to find the time....

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have an app on my phone connected to a device on the OBDII port. It can read and clear codes. I gave the code #'s to the service center when I made the appointment. It's the same two codes every time it does this.

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The OBDII dongle is most likely causing the codes. Do a search about it and you will find a few threads.

Read through this thread: Bluetooth OBD2 adapters
KLEMMER, thanks for that link. I had been leaving the donger in the ODBII port, so it has now been pulled. I think I had it in there because my rear O2 sensor was going bad and I was getting a CEL every day. I should have removed it after I replaced the O2 sensor (which fixed that problem). Not sure why I left it.

We'll see.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts