Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 XT with low miles at a good price. Carfax showed 3 accidents which salesman said were cosmetic, no frame damage. However, Carfax also showed two turbocharger replacements after dealer came into possesion of the vehicle. Spoke with salesman, said that they originally thought the vehicle had an engine problem when they came into possession of it, but found out it was only a bad turbo. So they (admittedly) replaced it with a cheap $200 aftermarket one, which blew apart (mentioned something about high pressure oil line causing it or also being replace), but now they've replaced it with an OEM turbo, and everything's good to go.

Does this story make sense to anyone? I don't know much about turbos, but I am going to get a compression/leakdown test at a local performance shop before buying.

Any thoughts or input would be appreciated. :grin2:

·
Registered
249 Posts
walk away from the car. ................. 3 wrecks/ but sales guy says it is ok?/ sales people will say anything to make the sale, ................ when a turbo experiences a split second of oil flow failure, the bearings can often explode so to speak, these things spin at up to about 100k rpms, and any cruddy oil or lack of oil and it is gone, ............ oil from a bad turbo can damage all the turbo line and hose and ducting components, and debris can damage the catalytic converters ................ any turbo charger or supercharger is high maintenance as far as oil and seals, , and one that shatters can spread metallic debris thru the entire intake system, downstream of the turbo,

·
Registered
2019 Sport cvt
152 Posts
I kind of wonder what a salesman thinks is cosmetic and things are crazy now about some types of damage. A lady rear ended my prior car and her jeep front license plate bolts punched two little hexagonal holes in the skin of the bumper cover. In the good old days, it would barely have been a scratch. Or two dabs of Bondo/putty and some paint. But by the time the body shop had removed the cover, inspected for internal structure damage, repaired or replaced the cover and repainted, it was over $700. Neither insurance company, mine or hers who paid for it as she was dawdling in letting them know and mine fixed and subrogated even blinked about it. So maybe the accidents were "cosmetic." (Or not...) But I'd skip it on the turbo issues, too.

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Premium
1,309 Posts
Sounds like this one has not been taken care of properly by the previous owner. I have a feeling the turbo is the first of many components that will fail on this vehicle in a very short time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
walk away from the car. ................. 3 wrecks/ but sales guy says it is ok?/ sales people will say anything to make the sale, ................ when a turbo experiences a split second of oil flow failure, the bearings can often explode so to speak, these things spin at up to about 100k rpms, and any cruddy oil or lack of oil and it is gone, ............ oil from a bad turbo can damage all the turbo line and hose and ducting components, and debris can damage the catalytic converters ................ any turbo charger or supercharger is high maintenance as far as oil and seals, , and one that shatters can spread metallic debris thru the entire intake system, downstream of the turbo,
I only disagree with Leland Grant on one point....... I’d RUN away not walk!
From the sounds of it this car is a disaster. I would walk away and not even bother testing it.
Sounds like this one has not been taken care of properly by the previous owner. I have a feeling the turbo is the first of many components that will fail on this vehicle in a very short time.
:frown2: Yeah part of me already knew all of this but was hoping for some positive feedback. Another part still wants to take the chance though. >:)

My gut tells me the cheap turbo blowup story from the salesman was b.s. in some way, as if he knew it would show on the CARFAX and he would have to explain it. Just something about them having to replace the original turbo, and then having the cheap replacement blowup... almost as if him admitting fault would put me at ease about the situation somehow? IDK.

Thanks for the responses so far.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts