Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Forester
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The forester I have has been using full synthetic. This time the dealer put in a synthetic blend. Now I am getting engine check light on. There is a slight burning smell coming from the hood. Does anyone know if the engine check light on is due to this change from full synthetic to a synthetic blend? Iw ould appreciate if xomeone could tell me the cause for this.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,723 Posts
did they put the oil cap back on?!

I would be upset if the dealer switched oil like that on me, I always provide the oil for the service..

That being said I don't think that the difference between full and partial synth should trip the eng light and start smoking...

·
Registered
99 Forester
205 Posts
The synthetic blend shouldn't cause any problems provided it's the proper viscosity. I would be more worried they used a cheap filter or the old gasket stuck to the engine and they didn't notice. If they didn't pay attention to what oil to put in what else did they overlook?

Your problems are more likely related to some poor workmanship at the garage than poor quality oil.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,583 Posts
Does anyone know if the engine check light on is due to this change from full synthetic to a synthetic blend? !
Not a chance. I agree with others.

Welcome to the board

·
admin
2019 3.6R & 98 Forester Atlanta, GA
7,249 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Forester
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
did they put the oil cap back on?!

I would be upset if the dealer switched oil like that on me, I always provide the oil for the service..

That being said I don't think that the difference between full and partial synth should trip the eng light and start smoking...
---------------------
@ everyone:

Thanks for your quick response...They did put the oil cap back on...actually i forgot to mention this...i had changed the oil before and overtightened the filter...the result: there was a leak through the filter...I had to get it towed to the nearest subie dealer at valley motors - MD. Now they are saying that the burning smell is due to the oil that is stuck on the outside of the engine...and i was told the engine check light 'on' could be due to several reasons but none due to an faulty oil change...
Looks like I messed up big time while tightening the oil filter...:(
Thanks a lot forum...i have always looked up to it for views and suggestions..BTW, i was surprised at the # of replies this got...did not expect it...:)

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
The check engine light should have nothing to do with the oil. Overtightening the filter can cause a slight leak, but nothing that would actually damage the engine (unless it leaked enough that the oil level was too low while running). They didn't tell you what the CEL code was? I'd bring it to a chain autoparts store and have them read the code, most will give you the printout of the code for free, then come back and post what it is!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts