Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(sorry for the double post, be gentle)

Howdy gang,
I have my eye on a 1998 Forester S that I am debating trading my 2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Edition in on and I just wanted your guys honest opinions, please...

Like I said before its a 98' S with 89k miles for 4,900 (not sure whats the difference between S vs L?) and basically here is what I will be using it for:
-Daily Driver local 5 days a week out of town 2 days a week for clinicals
-Hauling: Bike, Kayak, Backpacking/Camping gear...
-Big Dog Friendly (love the spacious back hatch)
-Rough Western MD and WV winters

Although I LOVE my wrangler especially taking the top off in the summer, here is why I am considering going to a Forester:
-Extremely better HW MPG (Jeep<12)
-More comfortable for my dog vs soft top with a bucket seat
-more storage space
-HEATED SEATS and A/C!!!!!

Anyways, you guys get the point. I was just wondering what were your honest opinions based on the info I have provided and with the mileage of the Subaru what all should I look forward to doing maintenance wise if I were to purchase this vehicle such as timing belt, brake fluid, etc... Thanks for your help and I look forward to our advice soon.

-Seth
[email protected]

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,746 Posts
(sorry for the double post, be gentle)
I deleted it gently.

No duplicate posts please. Anyway, the other one was in the wrong forum for that kind of question.

And, welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
1998 Cayenne GTS 6speed
1,751 Posts
The price might be tricky. Consider that, unless already done, you might (i.e., likely will) need to replace head gaskets soon ($500-$2000 for DIY-dealer); in a year you will need to replace timing belt (at least $500 at the dealer). Suspension might be going sour soon, especially if used "actively" (although you might not notice that after driving a Wrangler). And off-road, the Forester is nowhere near as capable as Wrangler. Beyond that, Forester wins in every category.

Anyway, I cannon possibly NOT recommend a Forester (have 3 already), but do some more research on the price. Almost $4900 sounds too high for '98.

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,746 Posts
You can find the full specs and maintenance schedule at cars101.com. It's a great source of reference info.

That's sure low mileage for a 98. By mileage, you're still well short of needing the timing belt job (105k miles), but there is a school of thought that a 5-year interval is appropriate without regard to mileage. Head gaskets have also been a problem with pre-2003 Foresters.

There's more general info about Foresters at this introductory thread and those it links to.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any of you guys know if an extended warranty would cover the gaskets in case it does start to over heat?

I think the price is fair, I did an autotrader search within 200 miles of my zip code and its around 1k less than avg although the KBB does show a slightly lower figure for Retail value, but it all comes down to the crunching numbers of what I will get for my Wrangler. And the good thing is they have a wrangler the exact same year as mine on their lot that is over priced so it might work out for me with a trade!

So how hard is the DYI gaskets? I tried with a buddy of mine to do it on a Northstar V8 Caddy engine and it was a NIGHTMARE! Also what are the best plugs to put in?

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,039 Posts
I really like NGK plugs. Used them in both my '00Ls and now '04 X.

L was base model, S was more upscale with more options.

don't know much about the price. seems kinda high for a car that old even with low mileage. but it all comes down to supply and demand. if you can't find others then you get the best deal you can on that one. maybe the well-known headgasket issues could be a bargaining point, as well as timing belt job?

I still miss my 87 Toyota 4x4 truck a few times a year, but really enjoy the Forester as a DD and it mostly gets me where I want with better mpg in more comfort.

if your jeep is a 4x4 with low range you will never really duplicate that setup with a forester for non-maintained fire roads (ruts, rocks etc.), but it sounds like you have thought it out and want to go for the Forester. don't be afraid, you will enjoy it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts