Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how to deactivate the seat belt reminder bell? I have an '06 and if the car is on and the driver's seat belt is not clicked, a very loud and annoying bell will ring, in addition to the normal (and much more tolerable) red light on the dash.

I wear my seat belt 99.9% of the time when driving but it's not on when I'm loading various items into the car and sometimes I'll take it off for a few seconds while driving to reach for something in my pocket, etc. I just don't need my car "yelling" at me!

I understand the need to encourage people to wear their seat belts but Subaru didn't have to be so intrusive with this particular feature. Also, I live in NH...the only state without a universal seat belt law.

·
Premium Member
98 Forester...what else
5,714 Posts
Umm...

It's only because your Forester loves you that it nags you... :wink:

Your Forester has a little chime relay underneath the dash, IIRC near the firewall. You pull that relay, and no more annoying sound.

BTW, just because NH doesn't have the law, doesn't mean it's not a good idea. I think of seatbelts as becoming one with the car, and I'll tell you...I don't drive nearly as well unless I'm strapped in.

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,053 Posts
Look here:

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5836

That may work for the Forester too, seems to work with cars that have the chip in the key.

I never drive w/o the seatbelt myself, even if I'm driving a few feet. I make a big deal of it with my kids and I'm afraid they will see me w/o it one time. I need to set a good example ;)

·
Registered
2004 5MT XT
159 Posts
100% seatbelt usage here too. But the chime still annoys me, because it's not part of the seatbelt circuit...it sounds whether you latch the belt or not. Still, I remember the 1970s cars with the seatbelt ignition lockout, so I guess I shouldn't complain.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If anyone does come across a simple way of pulling the plug on the buzzer/chime could they post and let us know please :)

I always unclip when reversing and parking, which is allowed over here in the UK. But that buzzer is doing my nut!

Thanks
Mick

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
I wear seatbelts 100% of the time. Like Roo stated, it fuses driver to car, and I feel very disconnected without a belt, like in my father-in-laws 59 T-Bird.

I would like to disengage the chime for when the key is in Accessory position and the door is open. When I work on the car or wax the car I like to crank up some tunes and I hate the back ground chime!!! Will disconnecting the relay on the firewall terminate that chime?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Clip/unclip procedure makes no effect. At least on my 05MY Euro Spec Forester. Tried many combinations of doing so.
An interesting thing thoug: on my car this chime sounds only when you are not fastened and the speed is over 20 km/h or so.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I found a thread over on NASIOC which had two ways of doing it. The first one did not work but the second one did...It took around 15 min. to do, but IMHO it was well worth the time as I sit in my car doing paper work while park.

I will do a search and post back when I find something.

BTW, I have an' 06 Forester X.

Justin

·
Official sf.org decal guy
2006 FXT
12,367 Posts
I was searching myself an came accross this bit of advice:

"Turn your key to the accesory (right before the ignition) then buckle and unbuckle your seatbelt 20 times in 30 second (without sitting in the seat is easiest). May take more then one try. Sounds odd but i did it and it worked."

I have yet to try it as I am a bit skeptical and hate making an donkey out of myself. Those i-club.com guys love to be sarcastic. A bunch of people commented later on how it actually worked. I use my seatbelf all the time too but if I am sitting in a parking spot with the car running I don't want to hear it.

·
Registered
04 XT Auto
298 Posts
tonyk said:
An interesting thing thoug: on my car this chime sounds only when you are not fastened and the speed is over 20 km/h or so.
Hmm, the Australian spec ones seem to be the same. i.e. it only starts chiming when you exceed a certain (low) speed, but is silent otherwise.
(I drove a short distance without seatbelt once just to try it out)

Also no chimes with doors open and key in accessory (or even running), although I've never actually tried opening the door while moving.

Rob.

·
Registered
2006 Forester
30 Posts
In my 06, having the handbrake engaged disables the chime. Also, if you clip/unclip the belt once, it disables the chime until you start driving again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts