Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester X 5-speed
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So at the beginning of December one of my PIAA H11 low beam bulbs burned out. This made me begin to think about HIDs, and while I was at it LEDs. Below are my experiences going through this process.

DDM Tuning: Was recommended to me by a co-worker, had good reviews and showed web presence. So I made my order. Price was really good, and inline with Ebay, Amazon, etc. My order shipped out two days later. Thats were the problem starts. My order shipped from China at no surprise to me. USPS had some serious delays as it took over 20 days for me to receive my package. During that time I tried calling DDM multiple times to check up on my status, and later to file a lost package claim. DDM's employees to do not have good customer service skills. They never showed any signs of sincereness for my wait. The product is what I ordered and works like it should. Nothing special, just run of the mill "blank label" HID kits. I do like the lifetime warranty that they came with as well.

VLEDS: I recently purchased LED lights for the front and rear of my car from Ebay, and needed a turn signal relay. While on their site I also found that they had a 9005 DRL module that I thought might be needed to keep the factory DRLs working. Later I determined that I did not need these after they arrived. Anyway, their shipping was inexpensive and quick. This company has some really neat products.

The Retrofit Source: I did not actually purchase any products directly from them. While on VLED's site I found the Morimoto dual relay HID harness for the 9005 and H11 bulbs. I placed the order with the turn signal relay and DRL module. The package came from The Retrofit Source really quick. This harness is really high quality, I highly recommend it.

I am really happy with all of the products that I purchased, regardless of issues related to shipping issues with DDM.

·
Registered
2011 Forester X LTD 4EAT
687 Posts
I love V-LEDs. I've beeing getting HID kits and LEDs from them for 8 years. Kinda pricy but definitely worth the quality, technology, and customer service.

I've known about DDM for several years but their reviews were mixed, prices seemed low. Seemed kinda shady. They seem to be changing their products and seem to have a better quality. And the HID kits are now being shipped from the U.S. and not Japan. I chose DDM this time for my '11 Forester I just bought. Got HID fog and headlight kits. Seem alright, work fine. Hope they last!

·
Registered
2012 Forester X set and forget
277 Posts
I STRONGLY discourage DDM use. I installed their HID kit in my G8 and the relay caught fire not once but twice. It was from faulty relays. They admitted to it, and apologized. Sub par products, they have been going downhill for some time...

Not The Retrofit Source is 100% opposite. Their customer support is TOP NOTCH. ZERO issues with their products. Their relay harnesses are dual relayed. Been on my G8 now for 5 years and run them as my DRL's, not one issue. You get what you pay for !

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've got a set of Morimoto XB LED projector foglights installed in my 2014 XT and couldn't be happier with them. High quality product, easy to aim, wide output, tight cut-off, no reflection back at me in snow storms. The Retrofit Source seems to be a good company too, avoiding selling inferior products and have good info on what'll work with your car and what won't.

·
Registered
2020 Limited
17 Posts
The Retrofit Source
I bought a HID setup from them for my last car. Website said lifetime warranty. When one bulb started to change color, I moved them around to make sure it wasn't the balast. Color moved with bulb and I asked for a replacement. They kept giving me the run around and thought I did not confirm it was the balast. Used DDM in the past without issue and did not have any issues. Bought a pair and kept going. Later on, bulb on same side did the same thing, so the Retrofit Source's balast was the issue, it just took time. Then the website said one year warranty and I knew not to waste my time. Ended up having to replace everything I bought from them. Also, it wasn't cheap.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts