Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester Auto
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK Guys;
I have been looking around for a dashboard camera and there is quite the variation in prices and features. I was hoping to get some opinions on both the products and how hard it is to install.

Point in fact; the ones I was looking at are mounted behind the mirror and require to be hard wired into the car battery to run the system - and they cost some $350.00 They look GREAT! (at that price they should) So who knows how to install them? and for how much?
See; http://www.blackvue.ca/DR500GW-HD.html

Plan 'B'; I went to E BAy and someone in Hong Kong is selling something for $78.00 ... hmmm Decisions, decisions... :icon_confused:

So what have people been doing??

·
Registered
2012 XT Touring AT
1,841 Posts
i have a BlackVue DR400G-HD

install is super easy. i have mine to the right of my rear view. and i wired it to my fuse box on the left of driver using a fuse tap thing, so it turns on with the vehicle and turns off.

i dont' have mine hardwired since i don't keep it recording when vehicle is off.

·
Registered
2010 Forester Auto
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i have a BlackVue DR400G-HD

install is super easy. i have mine to the right of my rear view. and i wired it to my fuse box on the left of driver using a fuse tap thing, so it turns on with the vehicle and turns off.

i dont' have mine hardwired since i don't keep it recording when vehicle is off.
OK - It's good to hear.
But What wires are available up by the Mirror? or did you run wires to the fuse box?

·
Premium Member
2014 2.0XT Limited CVT
416 Posts
If you have EyeSight you can't install a dash cam on your windshield. Otherwise look at the Mini 0801 Ambarella with the A2S60 sensor. It is a very small Car DVR that records in HD 1080P and has both G-sensor and available GPS. I've been researching for a month and ordered one of these on Saturday. It's small enough that I should be able to suspend it below one of my EyeSight camera's. It's also cheap enough that if I like I can buy a second for the rear.

Check out
If you are interested he has also reviewed other car cams.

·
Registered
2012 XT Touring AT
1,841 Posts
OK - It's good to hear.
But What wires are available up by the Mirror? or did you run wires to the fuse box?
i ran the wire to the fuse box. just poke it under the roof liner, then down the driver side A pillar tot the fuse box.

i cut off the cigarette lighter adapter and put a small inline fuse, i think a 5 or 10amp, then put ground wire to a bolt that is under the fuse box panel, and the positive to a fuse tap and to one of the accessory fuses

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/merg...00g-hd-owners-thread-1147913/37/#post14496479

a mini fuse tap

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT
178 Posts
Dash cam install on 2014 Foz?

I wanted to see if anybody installed a dash cam on their 2014 Foz? I had one in my previous car and looking to move it over. I wanted some ideas for running the wires and where to source power from the fuse box for constant and ACC power.

·
Registered
2014 Forester xt prem Cvt
161 Posts
that fuse tap is genious! i normally just cut and splice to the radio or accessory/headlight lights. im getting all kind of brainstorming ideas about ecu splice kits not currently avail or hard to find to manufacture for accessorry aftermarket equipment.

·
Registered
2010 Forester Auto
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
WOW !

I have been reading Spec Sheets and Reviews all week!

No one seems to agree on anything! :icon_confused:

Anything I liked - failed the review. :icon_sad:

What the reviewer liked; I didn't... :shrug:
I'm leaning towards the Blackvue 500 as it can be downloaded via WIFI BUT the resolution is less than perfect. And it has a reputation to over heat (but that was last year and now they are suppose to be 'Improved'. :confused:

Has anyone had any experiance with them?

I think that half of my problem is that all I'm doing is reading the internet I NEED to go out and TOUCH one and SEE just what it can do!

However - a local dealer is far away and he only carries ONE trade name... :icon_eek:

... Help. :icon_wink:

·
Registered
2014 Forester xt prem Cvt
161 Posts
im looking for a dash cam that will continue to record up to a givin amount of time (30 sec) after the engine is off; i.e. a really bad accident that suddenly cuts the power. id like everything recorded from before the incident to the moments after it. and a power button for occasions that you have to shut the car off but want the cam to record until the camera dies. A friend of mine was in a situation where a dash cam with trunk cam on record with car off would have helped him in a law suit againts crooked cops who all magically lost their dash cam tapes.

i wasn't able to find a single cam that has everything that i want in it, and im sure everyone would agree.

-1080p wide angle with audio, with 720p downgrade option; great day/night video and audio is a must.
-front and rear cam tied together with wifi or BT
-on/off switch
-2 hr minimum rec capacity
-built in battery
-cam automatically overwrites old footage if storage is full.
-wireless or BT streaming to cell phones for viewing, storage, and instant emergency send video (for situations where a law enforcement person would confiscate your cam and delete footage or a car jacking or kidnapping or whatever).
-gps is a nicety

thats all i can think of that i would want. for all that, im willing to pay as much as the new gopro.

·
Premium Member
2014 2.0XT Limited CVT
416 Posts
There is no single dash cam that meets all your specs. The Mini 0801 Ambarella I mentioned above meets most though. It has park Mode so you can record activity affecting your car when you're not around and also has optional GPS. It's also cheap enough to buy two for front and rear recording. It has a battery and will record after the engine is off if you configure it to. It has the added benefit of being easily removed and stuck in your pocket in case you want to hide it from 5.0. You can also remove it from its mount and take both HD stills and video while outside the car. Although it doesn't have WiFi it does have a built in screen for immediate viewing. I've ordered one. I'll post an opinion when I get it.

·
Registered
2008 X 5MT
459 Posts
Since you're in Ontario, whatever you do, do not buy a Blackvue, or buy anything from Blackboxmycar (BBMC). Long story short, BBMC started a business by asking tips on someone who started a second group buy on redflagdeals forum.

BBMC then stabbed the guy, reporting him to Blackvue. The group buy was canceled, BBMC is now in business because he speaks Chinese and had good contacts with Blackvue.

The whole story is here, worth a read.

Now, depending on the options you need, the Itronics is a really good one.

I currently have the 808 #16 and my next one will be a Mobius, just waiting for a wider angle lens version.

·
Registered
2010 Forester Auto
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Now, depending on the options you need, the Itronics is a really good one.

I currently have the 808 #16 and my next one will be a Mobius, just waiting for a wider angle lens version.
OK;
I appreciate the 'Heads Up' and all pertinate information - now where can I 'See' and / or buy an Itronics?

The only place that I can find them on is Ebay - and I really don't like shopping there. :shake:

·
Casper reincarnated
2,245 Posts
OK;
I appreciate the 'Heads Up' and all pertinate information - now where can I 'See' and / or buy an Itronics?

The only place that I can find them on is Ebay - and I really don't like shopping there. :shake:
If the eBay shop is apple-ct (3076)99.2% then he is good to deal with, I bought my Itronics ITB-100HD from him and it took 4 days from Sth Korea to my door in Australia.

A lot of the members on the DashCam Talk Forum have used him to buy their Dash Cam.

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT
454 Posts
I LOVE my BlackVue 500, it was worth every penny.

Initially, I bought the most popular $70 Chinese dashcam that is listed on every site. It was absolute crap. It had a battery that would fail constantly, and for some reason it can't run without the battery being 100% charged. In the end I returned it and the dang eBay seller kept my money.

I bought the BlackVue 500 and I am never looking back. The video quality is great, you can read licence plates of cars not just 5 feet in front of you, but a few lanes over. It doesn't use a highly flammable lithium battery as backup power, instead it uses a super-capacitor. The GPS and accelerometer are also great addons. The GPS it pretty accurate, you can pull up the data and see exactly where you drove. I installed it before a 4000 miles road trip to the grand canyon and back and I have 1080p video for pretty much the whole trip, which I am now editing into a fun montage video of all the places I visited.

I should add that I spend 50 days in Shenzhen China this year, and took three trips to the electronics mega mall where you can buy nearly EVERY dash cam made. I checked out lots of other models in person and still didn't see anything I liked better then my BlackVue. I would have picked up a second camera for the rear while I was there, but again, the night vision on many of them is useless.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts