Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Forester 2.0XT Touri
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, i have a 2016 forester xt touring and in the last few winters i’ve been experiencing a rattle coming from my windshield vent area. This only happens when the temp drops under 45 degrees and when I go over 30mph
Doesnt matter if radio is on or off
Doesnt matter if heat/ac/defroster are on or off
I tried foam between my defroster and windshield but that didn’t do it and leads me to believe that it’s something inside my vents. I have asked my subaru dealer twice to try and fix it and they say they can’t hear it which is crazy because it is loud. Here’s a youtube clip. Has anyone seen this before? Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
2015 Forester CVT
10 Posts
Don't know if this could be it. I had some clicking at highway speed I thought it was caused by the wipers. It was a piece of plastic on the outside lower driver side corner of the windshield. Wiper housing. Black, sort of triangular in shape near vin #. Tabs were worn. It would rattle at highway speed. Used all weather clear silicone caulk to secure it. Should last a winter.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
24 Posts
I'm sorry in advance that this will ultimately not be a very helpful response, but I had this SAME EXACT sound in my 2015 and it drove me absolutely crazy. You did a much better job at recording it than I could. My wife thought I was nuts because it got me so upset but I completely feel your pain. I had the opportunity to trade up to a 2019, which doesn't have it... yet. I'm sure something will shake loose over time and create some other new signature Subaru rattle, but man.. the one in the clip you posted is brutal.

I definitely noticed that it was worse in cold weather like you mentioned. I don't think it happened at all in the summer, actually. You really did describe the rattle I was having perfectly.

So... all of that is to say... I bet this is wide spread but most people learn to ignore it (I could not). Seems like a missed recall opportunity, but I guess that is an expensive solution to a relatively minor problem. It'd be nice if they would acknowledge it and have a standard procedure to fix it, or something.

Maybe you could take that video in to them and say that there are others online complaining about the same exact sound? I'm pretty sure I've seen others post about it before, too.

Sorry I didn't really have much productive to contribute...
TL:DR: +1

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Premium
492 Posts
@flyers1kak Same sound on my "17 XT. Turned out to be the outside windshield trim vibrating against the cowl panel. Easy fix was to place a 1" x 1" peice of doublesided tape between the trim pieces.

Bottom of each side of the windshield trim rest against the plastic cowl you can pry up the windshield trim carefully and have the corner of the tape placed on a small flathead driver. Slide the tape into place and apply pressure on the windshield trim. Do this at a temp around 40 or above or use a hairdryer to warm things up.

I have had to replace the tape a few times over a few years.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't know if this could be it. I had some clicking at highway speed I thought it was caused by the wipers. It was a piece of plastic on the outside lower driver side corner of the windshield. Wiper housing. Black, sort of triangular in shape near vin #. Tabs were worn. It would rattle at highway speed. Used all weather clear silicone caulk to secure it. Should last a winter.
@flyers1kak Same sound on my "17 XT. Turned out to be the outside windshield trim vibrating against the cowl panel. Easy fix was to place a 1" x 1" peice of doublesided tape between the trim pieces.

Bottom of each side of the windshield trim rest against the plastic cowl you can pry up the windshield trim carefully and have the corner of the tape placed on a small flathead driver. Slide the tape into place and apply pressure on the windshield trim. Do this at a temp around 40 or above or use a hairdryer to warm things up.

I have had to replace the tape a few times over a few years.

Thanks for the replies guys. I looked at this piece by my wipers and it does seem loose, but I got in my car and tried to make it rattle by tapping it and it’s a completely different sound than what I’m hearing. My rattle sounds like it’s coming from inside my defroster vent. I do have adhesive foam tape so I’ll give that a shot and maybe I’ll get lucky

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm sorry in advance that this will ultimately not be a very helpful response, but I had this SAME EXACT sound in my 2015 and it drove me absolutely crazy. You did a much better job at recording it than I could. My wife thought I was nuts because it got me so upset but I completely feel your pain. I had the opportunity to trade up to a 2019, which doesn't have it... yet. I'm sure something will shake loose over time and create some other new signature Subaru rattle, but man.. the one in the clip you posted is brutal.

I definitely noticed that it was worse in cold weather like you mentioned. I don't think it happened at all in the summer, actually. You really did describe the rattle I was having perfectly.

So... all of that is to say... I bet this is wide spread but most people learn to ignore it (I could not). Seems like a missed recall opportunity, but I guess that is an expensive solution to a relatively minor problem. It'd be nice if they would acknowledge it and have a standard procedure to fix it, or something.

Maybe you could take that video in to them and say that there are others online complaining about the same exact sound? I'm pretty sure I've seen others post about it before, too.

Sorry I didn't really have much productive to contribute...
TL:DR: +1
Thanks for your input, and glad to hear you no longer have to listen to that ungodly noise. I had to drive 9 hours from canada to philly a few weeks ago and it was miserable listening to it the whole time. I do a lot of 2 hour drives to ski and listen to podcasts and even with the sound cranked I hear the rattle. I’ve taken it to Subaru twice and they say they can’t hear it, and I even linked them this video and they have no idea. I’m going to take it to another dealership in a couple weeks because this is something that should be covered by the warranty

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow i think it may have been those windshield wiper housing corners. They are not tight and i shoved some foam in each corner and no rattle at the moment. Will do another test tuesday! Thanks all!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts