Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Forester L
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I recently (2 weeks ago) bought a 99 Forester L which had the two middle lights out on the gauge cluster. No problem, because the outer 2 were still working. I assumed the two in the middle were simply burnt out. All the other lights in the cluster worked (brights, door open...).
The other day I took out the gauges to replace the bulbs, but found the two inner ones weren't burt out. I switched the outer ones with the inner ones, then nothing worked. I switched them back to how they were and called it good. That night, my family and I went out and no lights worked for the speedo or tach. The two that were previously working weren't anymore. After a stop at the gas station, I turned the car on and the tach side worked, but not the speedo. I hit the bezel, and they two outer ones came on again. Back to square one.
This evening, I got in and again the tach was the only side lighted. I banged and banged, but the speedo side wouldn't come back on.
When I was messing around in there, I noticed that the circuitry on the back of the gauges looked a little 'cheap'. Could that plastic mat looking thing be the problem? Can I get a replacement anywhere?

Sorry for the long post for such a simple prob, but I just wanted to clarify as much as possible all steps I've taken to date.

Also, unrelated, my car is automatic tranny, but the gear indications next to the stick aren't lit up. Should they be? I would think so, but wanted to make sure before I try to take the whole center console apart.

Thanks for any help at all!

Mike

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT Limited 5 Speed Manual
536 Posts
You should be able to get a new circuit tape for the back of your cluster. Ask your parts guy at your local Subaru dealership about it.

NOTE: Have your VIN handy!

·
Registered
1999 Forester L
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Sounds good. Thanks a lot.
-Mike

Edit:
I went back in there and pulled the Gauge panel. I re-inspected all the lamps that were causing the problems. I then plugged it back into the harness, but still had it out enough to be able to access the bulbs on back. I moved them around until they all stayed on.

-Mike

·
Registered
2011 Forester touring 4EAT
39 Posts
Clean and bend the tabs of the bulb sockets so that they make a better connection to the circuit board.

Replace the shift indicator bulb.

·
Registered
1999 Forester L
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds good. I was able to get in and replace the light under the shifter... and do some cleaning as well!
I'll bend out the tabs for the dash too.

Thanks a lot,
Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts