Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Forester Sport
3 Posts
I run an A129 Duo. In the past I had an A119 rev 1, and a Blackvue DR590w-2CH. The A119 was good but only forward facing, and until they fixed it in later revisions, I had to layer electrical tape on the right side of the GPS base to get the contacts to be more securely plugged in. The DR590 was terrible, not going to lie. The parking mode box didn't work by default, and it was a pain to get Blackvue to return it. Not to mention it wasn't a proper 3 wire parking mode, so there were some issues there. Also the video quality was absolutely terrible, couldn't differentiate traffic signals more than 10 feet away and there was no way to be able to read license plates even in perfect condition. My A129 has the same STARVIS sensors and a lot better quality. I suspect the DR590 had such terrible video quality because they paired the STARVIS censors with their own cheaper replicant of an image processor. I could be wrong though.

For those looking for cost effective cameras in the USA, Viofo and Vantec are about the best to look for on the budget scale. If you go with Blackvue, stick to the 700 or 900 series. Their cheap cameras don't compete with others in the same segments.

·
Registered
2017 XT Limited + Tech
207 Posts
I had a few dashcams that all expired due to batteries dying from the heat. Currently using Blueskysea B1W with supercapacitor and am quite happy with it. No GPS (and you don't want it). Wires all hidden (easy with Foresters). Less than $50. You can read all about it in Dashcamtalk.com

·
Registered
2017 XT Limited + Tech
207 Posts
Got stopped by a cop one time and almost incriminated myself with the speed hard coded in the image. In case of an accident, a GPS might work against you if you are a little above speed limit. So no point in having a GPS unless you just want a personal video journal.

·
Registered
2017 Forester Touring CVT
1,156 Posts
I got ya. Yea, ive thought of that myself. Its a double edged sword for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Forester
27 Posts
I have 3 yi dash cams. They do not hide well. they always go on sale for 35 dollars. Its easy to view thru the app and easily to download clips of incidents. You can select how long of the clip you want to download. the camera has a nice wide angle lens at 165 degrees. It doesn't have parking mode or a rear camera. It can record at 2k quality. I think that in today's world wifi is definitely a must have. If you get into a car accident you can view it on your phone right away. I live in NY and parking mode would be a plus but either tapping into your battery thru hardwire can drain your battery if your Dash cam doesn't have a sensor to detect voltage or buying a special battery pack makes it more expense. The questions you would need to answer is
1. Is wifi something you want to have?
2. Do you want to record the rear?
3. Do you need parking mode?
4. How much u willing to spend?
5. Are you located in a super hot state like Arizona?

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
651 Posts
Got stopped by a cop one time and almost incriminated myself with the speed hard coded in the image. In case of an accident, a GPS might work against you if you are a little above speed limit. So no point in having a GPS unless you just want a personal video journal.
That may be all based upon the cam and what it shows and records on the screen.

I use a "spytec" A119 - the same A119 from other brands... I have the GPS unit and it does not display the speed in the playback. Here are some screen shots from the video feed and there is no reference to speed or anything. It MAY be a feature you can turn on or off in settings...

·
Registered
2017 XT Limited + Tech
207 Posts
That may be all based upon the cam and what it shows and records on the screen.

I use a "spytec" A119 - the same A119 from other brands... I have the GPS unit and it does not display the speed in the playback. Here are some screen shots from the video feed and there is no reference to speed or anything. It MAY be a feature you can turn on or off in settings...

View attachment 536806
Yes, you can elect not to have the speed hard stamped on the image, but it will be in the metadata, and if you need to submit an unaltered evidence, say in court, the speed will show up.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
651 Posts
This is the one I'm thinking of getting. Any more observations now that you've had it for a while? Also, since the USB port supplies power when the car is off, is it necessary to hardwire for parking mode? I wouldn't think it would be.
When you get it - see about getting the power cable/line that goes to the fuse box. Then you just plug it in to a fuse circuit that has power when the key off... There is supposed to be a capacitor or something in the system that will not allow the vehicle battery to drain beyond a certain point while powering the camera. There would also be some type of shock sensor that keeps a video file for if the car is bumped - like when parked. I never set this up on my A119, but can and should, but then I'd need to find one of those "always on" circuits in the fuse box.

·
Registered
2020 Forester Sport
27 Posts
When you get it - see about getting the power cable/line that goes to the fuse box. Then you just plug it in to a fuse circuit that has power when the key off... There is supposed to be a capacitor or something in the system that will not allow the vehicle battery to drain beyond a certain point while powering the camera. There would also be some type of shock sensor that keeps a video file for if the car is bumped - like when parked. I never set this up on my A119, but can and should, but then I'd need to find one of those "always on" circuits in the fuse box.
Yeah. They do have that kit. But I was wondering since the USB ports has power when the key is off, will that work the same way without having to spend the extra money and time on the hardwire kit?

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
651 Posts
Well, if you're not going to hardwire the kit - how are you planning on powering the cam unit?

The hardwire kit I'd bought at the time plugged in to the micro-USB port on the camera (or in my case, on the GPS base attached to the cam), then I just ran the wire up to the headliner, tucked it in to the gap and then pulled off the A-pillar trim and tucked the wire along A-pillar (careful of any existing systems in there - like air bags) and then tucked through and plugged in to the fuse box

·
Registered
2020 Forester Sport
27 Posts
Well, if you're not going to hardwire the kit - how are you planning on powering the cam unit?

The hardwire kit I'd bought at the time plugged in to the micro-USB port on the camera (or in my case, on the GPS base attached to the cam), then I just ran the wire up to the headliner, tucked it in to the gap and then pulled off the A-pillar trim and tucked the wire along A-pillar (careful of any existing systems in there - like air bags) and then tucked through and plugged in to the fuse box
I was going to basically the same thing with running under the headliner, then under the dash and into a USB port. But not sure if there is enough power from the USB port to trigger parking mode.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
651 Posts
Your USB port should have enough power - the cam doesn't take a hole lot - but the issue then becomes if the USB is powered ONLY with the key in the ignition or key on... For most of them, the parking mode is based on the shock sensor more. Power is always applied to the cam and then it "saves" the imagery from a few seconds before a bump once the bump is detected. Of course, the camera can only capture who bumped you if and when the camera is pointed in that direction. If somebody bangs the door, your front or even rear camera may not ever capture any usable footage of the perp...

For mine, I plugged in to the circuit for the market lights (I think?) and they get power when the key is in the ignition.

And by going to the fuse panel, I didn't have to go as far for running the wires - no threading over the steering column and then trying to find a way "through" the back of the center stack to get to the USB port - all the wires are tucked out of sight and I can easily unhook and take the cam out and upgrade or move to another car...

·
Registered
2020 Forester Sport
27 Posts
That makes sense. Thank you. For the record I did plug in my phone with the ignition off and it did start charging. So the USB port does supply power when the car is off. But the rest of what you wrote I think makes it worth it to spend the extra 15 bucks and the extra time to hardwire it. Thank you again

21 - 36 of 36 Posts