1. Any preferred brand and model
  2. How easy to connect one on the new Forester

Thanks in advance!
:wink2:

·
Registered
2019 Forester CVT
71 Posts
I just have a generic cheap Chinese one installed bottom right of my windshield. I had to put it there because of the Eyesight cameras.
It's been working for me for the past three years, but fortunately I haven't needed it so far.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium CVT
12 Posts
Blueskysea B1W

Very low profile design and quality picture day and night. I installed this in front of the rear view mirror without eyesight with add a fuse and the wire tucked real neatly under the headliner and A pillar. I don't have a need to review footage frequently but connecting via the app on my phone is relatively trouble-free. Taking the memory card out works too. Parking mode needs to be activated manually via the app each time, so it's basically useless. I do have issues with the sensitivity of the g-sensor locking files but I just clear out the old videos every now and then to keep space free. Overall 8/10 for basic low profile dash cam and I would buy it again.

- Blueskysea B1W WiFi Mini Dash Cam Car Camera Vehicle Video Driving Recorder 360 Degree Rotatable Lens 1080p 30fps G-Sensor Loop Recording
- Blueskysea Universal Micro USB Hardwire Kits 12V to 5V Power Adapter Cable with Fuse Compatible Car Dash Camera Mini 0906 B1W
- Samsung 64GB 100MB/s (U3) MicroSD EVO Select Memory Card with Adapter (MB-ME64GA/AM)

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Premium CVT
227 Posts
DashCamTalk.com

DashCamTalk dashcamtalk.com/ has an active and informative forum that can help you make a good choice. Check out dashcamtalk.com/best-dash-cams-of-2019/ for suggestions that may meet your wants, needs and budget.

edited to add: Viofo recently released a new version of the A119. The Viofo A119V3 looks like a substantial improvment over the Viofo A119V2 I have.

Here's a Viofo A119 V3 review
Final thoughts The A119 V3 has brighter, crisper, better color videos than it's predecessor. The A119 V3 responds quickly to light changing conditions and shows more details and contrast.

A greatly improved version of the legendary A119 series.

·
Registered
2019 Forester CVT
22 Posts
@Forester-Star Here's what my dash cam looks like from outside and inside POV. Wired tuck everything, until the USB outlet. No issues with eyesight, I use the cruise control every day for my daily commute.

Edit - Can't post any URL, so you can PM me if you're interested.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
2,437 Posts
www.thedashcamstore.com

If you want the BMW of dash cams, then buy a Blackvue or a Thinkware. I only buy Blackvue and have a DR750S in my vehicle with a Power Magic Pro so that you can use the camera in Parking Mode. The Viofo A119 is a great little inexpensive camera too. It;'s all about what you want and how much you want to spend. I like high quality and feature-rich electronics and the Blackvue is well worth it to me. Check out the link for a wide selection and some of the best pricing on the Internet. I believe there are other threads on dash cams on this forum so the search function is your friend:thumbsup:

Whatever you do, HARDWIRE it into your fuse panel with fuse taps. Super easy and get the PMP too so you can take advantage of parking mode.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
1 Posts
I just bought the Garmin Dash Cam Mini for my Forester Sport '19. Setup was super simple. Placed it right under my rearview mirror and fed the wire through the top of the vehicle (made sure not to block the eyesight sensors, to the passenger side, down the weather strip (really easy to pull out and put back in), under the passenger seat, into the middle console compartment so it's nice and out of the way. I've only used it for a month so here's my thoughts on it so far:

PROs
- Real small and sleek. Tucked it away behind the rearview and I can't even see it unless I tilt my head downwards and look for it
- Setup was super easy as mentioned above. Comes with a super long wire (4 meters maybe?) so you can feed it wherever you'd like
- Getting the app set up on my phone was super easy as well
- Picture quality is fine for me. I'm really just worried about major accidents where people are blaming me for something I didn't do
- Price was good for me at $129. My previous dashcam was a BlackVue 650 2Chan which had both front and rear cameras. It was nice but I never needed to use it and it was more than double the price at the time

CONs
- Doesn't come with a micro SD card. Luckily I got one for free from Microcenter. They send me flyers every now and then and I scored one
- Doesn't come with a rearview camera. Again, I'm just worried about any major accident.

OTHER TIDBITS
- It doesn't come with any hardwiring kit. My previous dashcam was hardwired but I never found myself ever needing it.
- I've only had it for about 2 weeks along with my car so I can't talk on how long it'll last but I like Garmin as a company so I feel like if there were any issues, they'd be able to help me out.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
2018 Forester
136 Posts

Vantrue X3 WiFi Dash Cam, QHD 2.5K 1440P 30fps 1080P 60fps Dash Camera 170 Degree Wide Angle Car Camera for Cars and Trucks, Super HDR Night Vision, Parking Mode, Motion Detection, Support 256GB Max

Vantrue N2 Pro, N2, T2, R3, X3 Dash Cam GPS Receiver Module Mini USB Port Car Suction Cup Mount for Windows and Mac
I have this dash cam hard wired to it's own fuse box. It comes on automatically when I start the car. I runs all the time.
I've had it about six months with flawless operation.
For the money it's hard to beat.
It has an Ap on your phone so you can download to your phone or snap release it from the car and download to your computer using the software.

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Touring Automatic
241 Posts
I have a Blackvue DR900S-2CH. I had it installed at a stereo shop to get as clean an install as possible. It's mounted behind the rear view mirror and has not interfered with the Eyesight setup at all. I also had the Power Magic Pro installed, set to shut off the juice when the battery gets to 12.5V. I find the shutoff comes within 5-10 minutes of parking the car with the OEM battery. A future project is to replace the OEM battery with something hardier, as my experience with Subaru OEM batteries has been poor.
Function on the Blackvue has been flawless. You get what you pay for.
Here are some photos of the install. I apologize for the orientation, as the photo album function here has a mind of its own with regard to displaying photos.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to all for your dash cam experience, suggestions and explanations.
I am going thru all dash cam reviews and hopefully one of them may be on my dash shortly.
Thanks again....:smile2:

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring CVT
61 Posts
I also have a Blackvue DR900S but just the single channel. DYI installation with the the Power Magic Pro. All wires were easily hidden and the fuse tap was very easy to use. No effect on the Eyesight system at all.
I have the same experience as Copwriter re Parking Mode, I've set the power to turn off at 12.5 V and that isn't really long enough. I'll set it for 12 Volts and see how that affects the Battery. I believe a few posters are happy with that setting.

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT
447 Posts
I have to put in a vote for BlackVue cameras. They are a bit more expensive, but they last. Mine has been running in the Texas heat with no shade since 2013. I have had to repair the internal clock battery twice over the years, and the super-capacitor once. Replacing both cost just a few bucks. Otherwise is has been great, the image quality is still just as good as day one. Last week I added a Polarizing filter to the front, and wish I had done it all along.

Even if you don't go with BlackVue, make sure the camera you get uses a super-capacitor and not a lithium battery. Lithium batteries die faster in the heat of a car.

Here is a full detailed guide I wrote on how to install and hardwire the camera:
https://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f77/how-hardwire-dashcam-567018/

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Touring HT-CVT
560 Posts
Another vote for the Blueskysea B1W. It's a cheap little camera that's discrete, no-frills, and fit neatly behind the rearview mirror. No interference with EyeSight and all cables neatly tucked away in the headliner/A-pillar for a clean, hardwire installation to the fuse box. It's so small that I also used it to mount a second camera on the rear window. If you're not afraid to work on cars, you can install one and hide everything on your car in 1-2 hours, depending how OCD you are with neatness.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
651 Posts
I have the "spytec" A119 v2 cam with the optional GPS unit, added the wiring kit and a 32GB micro SD - all from Amazon. Was under $115 total. I've had it up for over 6 months and not any issues. Also, I've got a 2014 Forester, so my Foz is different from yours. See below for the one I bought.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HN0HBFG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

I don't have Subaru Eyesight, so I mounted on the windshield just behind the mirror. Ran the wire along the headliner (tucked it in) and then behind the A-pillar trim, side dash trim and wired into the fuse-box to only come on when the ignition is on. You can also wire many cams to be on all-the-time - but be sure you get one that can monitor the battery to not drain it all the way. Some have that active check process built in.

I have not had to use it for any safety issues - but I have used the footage to create off-road travel adventure videos for youtube. Some will have built-in shock sensors that can somehow catch somebody hitting your car... but I don't "get" how it can record the moments BEFORE the tap to see who hit you. Some have dual cameras (front facing and rear facing) that can capture action inside the car - good if somebody breaks in...

Some have more options, cost more, and are fancier. Some are smaller and cheaper. Find what options or accessories you want and put together your best package.

note that while there hundreds of cameras out there, there are many that are the exact same unit, just offered by a different company, maybe a different case or button set up... some have a better screen, some don't. You will find that sometimes you're just paying for a name brand and it may not be any better than another, just more expensive (Lexus vs Toyota, for example?)

Mine records in up-to 10 minute files, and I can turn off the sound so it is not recording my music or any chatter in the car. Why bother?

As said, I've used it for a while now and have not had any issues. It records my travels and what-not and I can go and review it if needed or create videos for remembering my off-road trips. Attached are 2 screen caps from playing the resulting video on my dell laptop. Image clarity is good - better during the day but even on the freeway at night - you can see stuff going at 70+mph.

https://youtu.be/9p7ap8h3BUQ

One other word of caution... If you are getting one to be "always on" and can watch the parking lot when you're someplace - be aware where you install it if you put up sun-shades to block the sun coming in, those shades can block the lens.

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 Forester Touring CVT
1,155 Posts
Street Guardian
Excellent camera thats built to withstand the heat from the sun and UNMATCHED customer service. These guys are incredible with response time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Touring Automatic
241 Posts
I don't have Subaru Eyesight, so I mounted on the windshield just behind the mirror. Ran the wire along the headliner (tucked it in) and then behind the A-pillar trim, side dash trim and wired into the fuse-box to only come on when the ignition is on. You can also wire many cams to be on all-the-time - but be sure you get one that can monitor the battery to not drain it all the way. Some have that active check process built in.
The Blackvue models can be mated with a module called Power Magic Pro. It has its own power switch and can be set to cut power to the camera when the battery reaches 12V or 12.5V (user-selectable). As I mentioned previously, the OEM Subaru battery gets below 12.5V pretty quickly.

I have not had to use it for any safety issues - but I have used the footage to create off-road travel adventure videos for youtube. Some will have built-in shock sensors that can somehow catch somebody hitting your car... but I don't "get" how it can record the moments BEFORE the tap to see who hit you. Some have dual cameras (front facing and rear facing) that can capture action inside the car - good if somebody breaks in...
When there is power to the camera, it is always recording to a buffer of 30 seconds or so. If the motion alarm goes off, the contents of the buffer are appended to the beginning of the recording that begins and is written to the internal memory.

Police body cams work the same way. That’s why when you see a lot of body cam footage, the first 30 seconds or so are silent. The buffer recording doesn’t capture sound. The sound comes on when the wearer (or a sensor, like turning on the emergency lights or taking the gun out of the holster) puts the body cam in “record” mode.

note that while there hundreds of cameras out there, there are many that are the exact same unit, just offered by a different company, maybe a different case or button set up... some have a better screen, some don't. You will find that sometimes you're just paying for a name brand and it may not be any better than another, just more expensive (Lexus vs Toyota, for example?)
I occasionally buy stuff from a Chinese marketplace called DealExtreme (dx.com). I note they offer several dash cams that have the same form factor and similar specs to the Blackvue models. Blackvue is also made in China. I have no idea if all this hardware is coming from the same plant, or if they just pay not attention to patents. I see these as equally likely possibilities.

Mine records in up-to 10 minute files, and I can turn off the sound so it is not recording my music or any chatter in the car. Why bother?
Mine records in three-minute clips, but I have the sound recording turned off by default. I wouldn’t want to go to court with evidence from an accident that had me singing along to “Sweet Caroline” as the lead-in. The Blackvue dash cam will activate sound recording by waving a hand at a sensor on the driver’s side, so activation is easy-peasy.

·
Casper reincarnated
2,272 Posts
Street Guardian
Excellent camera thats built to withstand the heat from the sun and UNMATCHED customer service. These guys are incredible with response time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
+1 for the UNMATCHED support.
Not only that the Owner of Street Guardian is on a couple of Forums, Dashcam Talk is one such Forum.

The dash cams are good too, mine is an SG9965GC V2, had it for 3 years without issue. Has even survived outside temps of 40°C (104°F), so one can only guess as to what the inside temp was. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts