Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Touring
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every day or so, when the car is out, I seem to pick up very small brown spots and after I wipe them off, a yellow stain is left. Unless I catch it in a day or less, the yellow stain will not come up. I would get the same with my Infinity QX4 but after cleaning up the brown drops, there was never a yellow stain. Both cars are about the same color and my Subaru was just waxed.

Any suggestions on cleaning up the stain?

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
24 Posts
I don't know if this is the "safest" product to use, but I have easily removed similar brown spots / stains with it:

Sorry! Something went wrong!

I don't think I would want to be using it every day, though... do you have any idea about what might be causing the brown spots?

·
Registered
2019 Touring
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm guessing that it's either from birds or insects... The problem is that nothing I have tried seems to remove the yellow stain. I guess I'll try a car detailer for suggestions. I just don't want to use anything like compound. I tried a small amount of diluted bleach and that didn't work..

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
316 Posts
May not be taking the clear coat or paint off but you sure are stripping any sealant/wax off the surface. Do you wax after you clean the areas needing the degreaser?

·
Registered
1999 Forester S
447 Posts
My guess is that these are small bits of steel or iron embedding themselves in your paint and rusting. There are products out there to take car of this during your normal car washing. Iron X is the product, IIRC.

·
Registered
2010 FXT slush-box
661 Posts
spots

@soobcrazy yep, I live near an auto salvage yard, and we get those spots. If I get the car detailed, and then keep a good layer of wax on, they come off easily. Much more visible on the wife's Blaze Yellow WRX than on my green FXT.

Jeff

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5 Touring CVT
105 Posts
I have no clue what causes that but I have seen those on my white Forester. Clay bar doesn't seem to do anything. Also tried bug and tar remover, doesn't help.

I have noticed that as long as you clean the brown stuff off really well then the yellow stain will fade after a couple weeks.

·
Registered
1999 Forester S
447 Posts
I have no clue what causes that but I have seen those on my white Forester. Clay bar doesn't seem to do anything. Also tried bug and tar remover, doesn't help.

I have noticed that as long as you clean the brown stuff off really well then the yellow stain will fade after a couple weeks.
See my previous post. Clay bar will remove a lot of it. If it doesn't that's because the iron particles are deeply embedded in the clearcoat.

The yellow (rust) eventually goes away when you remove the brown particle (iron) because there is no more iron oxide (rust) running over your paint.

·
Registered
2004 XT Manual
4 Posts
Its not fallout, it's insect poop, probably bees of some variety. I know exactly what the OP is talking about, it can etch a stain into the clear coat of some cars, yep Subaru is one of them if it is left on the paint long enough, sometimes only a matter of days and they are difficult to see. Even Sio2 coatings do not stop this etching occurring, it's a royal pain in the *** and the only way to effectively remove it is a machine polish and even then it may not remove all of it.

·
Registered
2019 Touring
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)

This is what seems to happen. It is not rust. I have tried the clay bar and it does not work. I have tried drops of diluted and straight bleach and it does not work.

I never had the problem with my 2002 QX4 Infinity of the same color, but obviously a different clear-coat and different paint.

As stated above, most of the time, if I catch it early, the yellow stain will fade over time. The car is generally parked in the garage most of the time.

This is so odd...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Same here. Just got my 2019 Forester in white less than a week ago and noticed dozens of brown spots all over the hood and sides a few days later. I didn't drive it during those few days after pick up from the dealership, so not sure exactly when they began to appear. The spots remind me of coffee stains. I thought they were from the 200+ year old tree in my yard that shades the entire driveway. However, I never noticed such stains on any of the other cars parked in the same driveway over the past 25 years. Disappointed if this issue is unique to the Forester or to Subaru.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Very interesting thread. I've had a few of the spots on my white Forester. Couldn't wash them off and even claybar didn't totally remove them but I noticed after weeks of rain they are all gone but one that's now barely visible. I wonder if water over extended soak time, weeks or months, eventually dissolves them? Just guessing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts