Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2010 FORESTER 2.5XT LTD
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok. Thought I would start a journal. Starting to build up some changes to the car, mostly cosmetic since I don't want to risk voiding the warranty with performance mods..... yet.

Here are some photos to show the car as stock with no mods.

Vehicle Description: 2010 Forester XT Limited, Pearl White. Bought March 18, 2010.

Mods Done to Date:

1. STI Shift Knob A/T installed (Post# 2)
2. Rearview mirror - Autodim with Compass and Homelink® (Post# 3)

**New**
3. Pioneer AVIC-X920BT w/ rear cam, Bluetooth hands-free, Sirius, USB/ AV inputs and Bypass switch (Post# 11)
4. Compustar 9000-AS-PRO Remote Start and Alarm (Post# 12)
5. Exhaust Tips (Post#4 Before shots) (Post# 13 Final Results)
6. Subaru OEM Cargo Organizer (Post# 14)

With these new mods I'm selling my OEM exhaust tips and stock head unit: http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f65/subaru-oem-exhaust-tip-head-unit-74053/

Future Mods:

1. Dynamat Soundproofing

Attachments

·
Registered
2010 FORESTER 2.5XT LTD
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
STI Shift Knob Installed

Here is the first Mod. OEM STI Shift Knob A/T.

Got a GREAT deal on it and was SOOOOO easy to install.

Attachments

·
Registered
2010 FORESTER 2.5XT LTD
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Rearview mirror - Autodim with Compass and Homelink®

Ok. Got this done as well by the dealer. Only had to wait 10 minutes for it to be installed.

What a difference this mirror makes! Don't care too much for the compass but the Auto Dim feature? Awesome. Homelink was easy enough to program and works great with decent range to open my garage.

I also added a visual difference between Auto Dim on and off. Not the greatest pics but you will get the idea.

Attachments

·
Registered
2010 FORESTER 2.5XT LTD
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Exhaust Tips

I took some photos of my undercarriage and stock stainless exhaust tips.

I'm thinking I could do better with the tips....and is that rust already on my muffler?? And if I do new exhaust tips I won't need these stock ones so I'm up for suggestions on what to do with them...maybe sell them for dirt cheap??

Any suggestions would be great...especially how I'm supposed to clean this area if I'm gonna paint it black (which seems to be the popular method).

Thanks.
D.

Attachments

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,087 Posts
Nice looking Forester! Great start on your Member Journal! :cool:

As to rusting exhaust. If it's stainless, it won't rust. You can control the rusting or paint it for effect with RustOleum Bar-B-Q Black, which is a high temp paint. As to prep, wipe it off with a rough rag, if it's oily use a degreaser & paint away. :wink:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
2010 FORESTER 2.5XT LTD
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
How bout deeze tips?

Ok. So I saw these tips on Amazon: **I didn't get these Tips... Please see POST# 13 for the ones I got**

Amazon.com: Pilot Motorsports PM-5105 Stainless Steel Bolt-On Exhaust Tip, Oval Slant, 4-1/2" Outlet Diameter 10-1/2" Length: Automotive

Product Features:
$28.40/ea.
* Oval slant
* Outlet diameter: 4 1/2"
* Inlet diameter: 3 1/4"
* Length: 10 1/2"
* Fits: 2 1/2" to 3 1/4" pipes

Will these fit on the Foz? I noticed the inlet diameter was 3 1/4, wonder if that's too small for a 2010 model?

Thoughts?

D.

Attachments

·
Registered
2010 FORESTER 2.5XT LTD
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Pioneer AVIC-X920BT Installed

Ok. I recently had the "just released" Pioneer AVIC-X920BT installed. Awesome. For anyone interested, I also got the rear camera, Bluetooth, Sirius, hands-free, USB and steering wheel control added.

First, this head unit will allow you to adjust the colour of the buttons to match ANY vehicle interior. The NAV system works well but it is slightly different than my current portable Garmin GPS. It only does "text to speech" if you are on major highways (announcing names of roads instead of just saying "in 100ft, turn right). But this Nav display provides much more information on screen and has better picture detail when you approach your turns using a "zoom" feature with a shrinking "count down" distance bar on the left so it's really hard to miss a turn.

The rear camera works great and there are some cool features like splitting the display to show half rear view and half nav to show you a constant visual of what is behind you while driving (for ex. towing a boat behind you)

The shop that installed the unit spent a lot of time testing different placements for the hands-free mic and the best result on a Forester 2010 is just to the left of the rear view mirror at top. The clarity of the hands free is amazing with no echo and everyone I speak to over the hands free can't even tell that I'm speaking in my car (And we all know how noisy the Forester is)

The USB that was installed replaced the "Aux" Jack that was in the centre console and now has a USB/AUX plug made specific for iPod etc. The integration of the iPod or any USB device is fantastic! Some new "finger" scrolling features on this unit make it a breeze to navigate your playlists.... along with the "MusicShere" thing that Pioneer just released.

Steering wheel controls work flawlessly. I believe this is a third party control switch called PAC SWI-PS - Pioneer and Sony Steering Wheel Radio Control Interface

I had the bypass done so I can let my front seat passenger watch movies while driving. Also, this bypass allows you to enter and change navigation addresses while in drive as well... although, I would never do such a thing for safety reasons! :)

Here are some pics. Not great. I will take better ones once the weather is nicer outside. It's snowing in Calgary.

D.

Attachments

·
Registered
2010 FORESTER 2.5XT LTD
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Compustar 9000Pro Remote Starter and Alarm

I also had the Compustar AS9000 Pro Remote Starter and Alarm installed. This was supposed to be the "best" available system on the market but I would say other than having a better display than my older system and a couple of cool features like displaying the inside temperature while you are remote starting, you can save a lot of $$ by getting a cheaper system.

The range is great and the system works very well.

D.

Attachments

·
Registered
2010 FORESTER 2.5XT LTD
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
New Exhaust Tips

Also, had new Exhaust Tips put on today. Went with advice of many people on here and painted the muffler black. I have a couple of pics here.

I believe the Brand name was "Flo-Pro"
Performance Exhaust

D.

Attachments

·
Registered
2010 FORESTER 2.5XT LTD
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Subaru Cargo Organizer

I also just got the OEM Subaru Cargo Organizer for only $17.00 US. So I bought 2 of them.

What!?? the subaru.ca price shows $109.95 CDN!!???

I was going to get the Thule Car Organizer but it was $59.99 CDN at Canadian Tire.
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brow...le%2BGo%2BBox%2BTrunk%2BStorage.jsp?locale=en

The photos show both of these. They are identical in every way except for the logo.

D.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts