Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2016 XT Premium cvt
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new premium has barely 2,000 miles on it, I back out at work, back right into one of my employees cars, cant believe I have $1600.00 worth of damage, not to mention the $1500.00 I did to the other car. got the rear bumper cover, right taillight assembly, and 2 gouges in the rear gate. I am super anal about my cars, I still cant believe I did something so stupid.

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
286 Posts
I feel for you :icon_cry:

I know when I get a new car there are a lot of distractions with the newness. I have had a couple of close calls backing up myself as a result of that.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
801 Posts
Doo doo happens :shrug:. You still have a new car that is great. Deal with it, learn from it - move on. :rock:

·
Registered
2014 Subaru CVT
88 Posts
That stinks. Every ding is over $1,000 any more. I'm betting you aren't quite used to using a back up cam, eh? I'm definitely not. I glance at the cam, then the mirrors, then turn my head, still getting a feel for the camera into my back-up methodology. If I get used to it when the car is empty, I'll know its limitations when the car is full and I really need it. But the old turning of the head still gives me the best view.

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Touring
3,002 Posts
Back in 1978, I parked my then new Honda Accord in a garage by a food market in Queens, NY.

Because I was also super-anal, I took the time and trouble to find a spot away from other cars.....this to keep the dreaded door dings away from my car.

The only spot was one with a low concrete ceiling beam at the rear of the car but I'm a careful sort of neurotic guy so all was good.

I went shopping, came back to the car and popped the hatch.........up the gate went and into the concrete beam. Needless to say, said beam left a dent that was, in its own way, a magnificent work of art.......right on the edge of the rear panel as it wrapped over into the rear deck.

My first reaction, after emitting a string of loud curses, was to vomit.....after which I began my now famous search for a deck spoiler.......took another year before I found the part which covered the dent BUT still..........

Steve

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i CVT
951 Posts
I feel for you :icon_cry:

I know when I get a new car there are a lot of distractions with the newness. I have had a couple of close calls backing up myself as a result of that.
Yes, learn and move forward. I backed into a light post one tired Friday evening after work.... $3200 to my car. :yell: The post caught the back side of my turning front tire, bent steering, suspension and smashed fender....fawk. :biggrin:

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT Limited 5 Speed Manual
524 Posts
When I was first starting to drive, I backed my 86 Monte Carlo (It was already old and a beater) into a light pole, in full view of a state cop. :eek: It left a small curved dent in the rear bumper and a 15 minute conversation with the cop.

It happens. And it can happen. We are only human and creatures of habbit...

Sorry to hear though.

·
Registered
2014 Forester xt prem Cvt
161 Posts
My 11 years of driving, I've never hit anything or got into an accident. I've had dozens of close calls. I now drive like a grandma. I scared myself too many times.

I only use the rear cam to make sure there's no kids I can't see in the mirrors.

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Automatic
64 Posts
My new premium has barely 2,000 miles on it, I back out at work, back right into one of my employees cars, cant believe I have $1600.00 worth of damage, not to mention the $1500.00 I did to the other car. got the rear bumper cover, right taillight assembly, and 2 gouges in the rear gate. I am super anal about my cars, I still cant believe I did something so stupid.
Your not the only one lol, last Friday I did this :icon_eek:

Here's the car I hit:

Here's my car, just a couple of scratches, so I suppose I was a bit lucky :raspberry:

·
Registered
2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Premium
71 Posts
got to say though, the forester is kind of slippery...
do you have insurance? what damage was done to your car? did you finance?
good luck man

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
412 Posts
Did the back up cam not help?
Haha...I hope this is in jest.

Your not the only one lol, last Friday I did this :icon_eek:

Here's the car I hit:

Here's my car, just a couple of scratches, so I suppose I was a bit lucky :raspberry:

That is some serious work you did on that car! How fast were you backing up?! ...and did the back up cam not help...?

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Automatic
64 Posts
I was only going maybe 2 mph but I was turning aswell. that car just seem to crumple to nothing with such a minor impact. I didn't even feel the bump, I just heard a bang sort of noise, and said to my partner, "what was that ? "

My car doesn't have a reversing camera, and it was throwing it down, all my windows where misted over and couldn't see much in the mirrors as they were full of water.

I know it sounds like an excuse, but I take full responsibility for the damage I caused, and went knocking on peoples doors to find out who owned the car and gave them my details etc. Still waiting to hear back from them, so don't know what it will cost yet ?

·
Registered
2016 XT Premium cvt
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
got mine back from the body shop yesterday, still missing a right rear taillamp..apparently they are on backorder...he's telling me 6 weeks! oh the joy of owning a first year model change, still love the Subie , the loaner was a new Ford Fusion...wouldn't hit a dog in the A-- with it, no visibility out of the cut down windows, and after driving with the CVT the 6 speed auto trans in the Fusion seemed antiquated.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts