Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester X
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi y'all, I'm both happy to be here and bummed that I'm having to make a post about this. I've been having constant problems for the past couple of weeks with my '09 Forester (non-turbo) with both overheating issues and a P0301 cylinder 1 misfire.

With the overheating issues, this started while I was out of state taking care of my sick mother. My girlfriend and I both use my Forester as a daily driver, and she called me two weeks ago and told me that my car started to overheat (coolant light flashing red), and the heat had stopped blowing (air turned cold, air still flowed). After a lot of questions and some worrying, I determined that the overheat started when she was idling the car in a drive-thru. This problem occurred multiple times over the next few days while I was gone, only when she was sitting at a long idle. I had a friend who sometimes works on cars go to her and check the coolant in both the reservoir and the radiator. The reservoir had plenty of coolant inside, but after checking the radiator, he noticed that it was very low. He topped it off, and advised my girlfriend to just check the radiator every morning before driving.

Fast forward a week, and my girlfriend is telling me that she's been topping off the coolant in the radiator nearly every day, while the reservoir levels haven't changed. The only upside to that is she hadn't had any overheats since she's been checking the radiator religiously.

A couple of days before I flew back, unfortunately a CEL came on. Once again, I had my friend come over with his code reader to help my girl out, and he got the P0301 code. An hour and a half later, he replaced the spark plugs (which he noted looked like garbage), and got her up and running again. The only thing he didn't replace were the wires, which I am planning to do myself. However, just a few days later, the CEL came back on and it's the same P0301 code.

Last night, I flew back in from TN and decided to hit the drive-thru since I hadn't heard anything about overheating issues, and what happens? My Subie starts to overheat again, so I parked her and waited for it to cool down. I checked the radiator and reservoir myself, but there was liquid in both.

So, thank you for reading my long-winded post about my problems, but I'm literally at my wits end about my Forester. I'm doing my best to avoid taking it to a shop, because I know labor costs can be a *****. I like to do as much as I can myself to save money, but I'm wondering if it's unavoidable at this point. For posterity's sake, I did have the head gaskets and timing belt replaced in May '18 (from previous owner), and noticed that the water pump was never replaced during the process.

Any help or advice is appreciated! Thank you so much for reading, and I hope everyone has a pleasant day. :thumbsup:

·
Administrator
17,343 Posts
G'day & Welcome aboard!

Check the radiator fans to make sure they are working.

BTW the heater / air con stopping is normal when the car overheats.

·
Premium Member
2018 X3 M40i / 2016 X3 xDrive35i
1,632 Posts
Head gasket is a goner from the sounds of it. Wondering if the repair you had done previously was not done right.

·
Registered
2009 Forester X
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
G'day & Welcome aboard!

Check the radiator fans to make sure they are working.

BTW the heater / air con stopping is normal when the car overheats.
Hi, I checked both fans and they do come on when the car is running.

·
Registered
2009 Forester X
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Head gasket is a goner from the sounds of it. Wondering if the repair you had done previously was not done right.
I'm really hoping it's not the heads - that's something that's waaaaay out of my budget. They were literally done last May! 😞

·
Registered
2012 Forester 4 speed auto
1,128 Posts
Lucky is expensive

Don't go overboard with speculation. First pressure check the system. It isn't holding vacuum to pull coolant from the reservoir tank so it probably isn't going to hold pressure. The coolant is leaking out so you gotta find out where. Check the hoses, radiator cap or the radiator. You wannabe methodical you don't wannabe lucky. Lucky is expensive.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts