Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
German tech
MY16 Audi S3 Sedan DSG 6 speed
3,563 Posts
Big news here. Worst to hit the east coast apparently. A lot of damage to rainforest and houses. Reports filtering through. All up north but some major towns impacted including Cairns and Townsville (tourist areas)

The storm surge will be the worst as it coincides with high tide

·
Sydney Dinner Organiser
MY05 XT luxury
1,694 Posts
Yeah its bad, but there are no large cities up there.
Not sure if we have any aussie members from far north Queensland.

Its a couple of thousand miles away from Sydney, so all we have is a bit of rain.

·
Registered
2005 FXT PP 4EAT
2,772 Posts
I just saw this on the news. I hope you're all ok.
May your roofs fare better than mine did in Wilma!

·
Premium Member
03 2.5X 5MT
653 Posts
Hope all goes well in N Qld. Some pretty important "heritage stuff" up there!

·
Sydney Dinner Organiser
MY05 XT luxury
1,694 Posts
Reports say only a few injured and no deaths which is good.
Seems like a lot of property and crop damage.

Not sure what heritage stuff is up there - unless you mean rainforests.

·
Registered
70 Posts
You could also probably count those hippies living in the rainforests as heritage!

Seriously though, I hope all those in sunny Nth Queensland keep safe and it all blows over soon.

On a positive note, it should make the ferry ride here in Sydney interesting once the swells move south! :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Report from Far North Qld

SuperRü said:
I'm in Townsville and we only had high wind and rain here (we should get rain for a couple more days, but we need it).

Innisfail (pop. around 10,000) got trashed with 50% of buildings sustaining damage, and pretty much 100% crop loss (sugar cane and bananas).

I'll be driving through there this weekend, so I should get a good look at it.

Anyway, it's not as bad as New Orleans last year. The government is on to it already, and there aren't any dykes, er........levees, I mean levees! up there.

Cheers.

ps. The Forester is alright, no damage. Whew!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yeah, I'm in Townsville and thankfully it was all a bit of a fizzer here.
I've got a couple of weeks between jobs and I was thinking bout going up there in my subie and offering a hand in the clesn up.
Bit worried about the next one coming though (Wasti)

·
Registered
04 XT Forester Manual
27 Posts
Let's hope Wati doesn't hit in the same area as Larry. They will have just got some services restored otherwise only to have them trashed again.

Shame about the damage to crops. Lots of farmers are going to do it tough for a while now. Good that people damage seems to be minimal considering how brutal the storm was.

·
German tech
MY16 Audi S3 Sedan DSG 6 speed
3,563 Posts
aiki99 said:
Let's hope Wati doesn't hit in the same area as Larry. They will have just got some services restored otherwise only to have them trashed again.

Shame about the damage to crops. Lots of farmers are going to do it tough for a while now. Good that people damage seems to be minimal considering how brutal the storm was.
The flow on effect from crop loss is huge. Not only an impact to those farmers but also all the other industries and communities that support them.

Just watch most of those banana plantations move over to sugarcane.

The prices have already started to rise in the local markets here in Sydney. We will get flooded with imports.

I'm watching to see what the Federal Govt does - they need to pull their finger out quick !!!

Thoughts go out to all those impacted :(

·
Premium Member
03 2.5X 5MT
653 Posts
dicknose said:
Reports say only a few injured and no deaths which is good.
Seems like a lot of property and crop damage.

Not sure what heritage stuff is up there - unless you mean rainforests.
Yes I do mean rainforests and the creatures that live in 'em.

Saw some images on TV tonight. Looks like some pretty serious damage. Hope the next one doesn't wack ya in the same place as the previous one...or it will be somewhat akin to Katrina and Rita.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts