Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2016 XT Premium
238 Posts
That was a cool video thanks for posting it. If not for the dang computer learning procedure it would be a simple (but messy) DIY replacement. I noticed the vehicle had almost 155,000 miles on it, gotta wonder if this is the first valve body replacement for that vehicle considering the lower mileage other are reporting needing the same part replaced.

I would love to have the guy in the video as my mechanic, and wish we could trust all Subaru tech to be so thorough.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
689 Posts
Thanks for posting. I'd wondered what the "learning" process looked like. Seems the system runs itself repeatedly through a variety of speeds with the front wheels spinning.

From what I've read, the TR580 (valve body mounted on top) entails a similar procedure, with removal of a few in-the-way pieces (throttle body, etc) thrown in for good measure.

...wonder if this is the first valve body replacement for that vehicle...
Somewhere he says it's the original fluid, so it must be the first valve body replacement too.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Limited CVT
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes. Mr Subaru is a very good tech. I wish he was closer. I’d have him work on my SUBARU’s. I subscribe to his YT channel. Lot’s of great info.

I doubt the dealership mechanics take the time to clean the pan that thoroughly and torque everything to spec.

It takes quite a few expensive tools and equipment to do a valve body. Nice to have a proper lift!

·
Registered
2016 XT Premium
238 Posts
The computer/program for the CVT fill temp and relearn after the procedure is really the only expensive and special tool, right? Or did I miss something? I guess the car had to be safely suspended with wheels free during the relearn, that would make it tricky.

I was just surprised at how accessible the whole valve body assembly was; drop the oil, pan and strainer and its right there! Compared to adjusting the valve lash on my motorcycle, its way less steps and precision required to do the mechanical bits of a CVT valve body replacement.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Limited CVT
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
By special tools and equipment I meant the Snap on torque wrench, lift and Snap on Zeus automotive diagnostic Tool. I would like to get an Assenmacher atf fill pump though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts