Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
I've been looking at adding both an oil cooler (a few times I've hit 230 degrees) and a transmission cooler (just because). I just can't seem to find a good place to mount the coolers and not sure how well any of the sandwich place for the oil would fit with how our filters mount.

·
Registered
31 Posts
On my recent trip out west pulling 1000lb camper with outside temp 100-109F, my dash display (triple meter) hit 255F a few times but mostly in 230-245 range. Also no trans cooler. Elevations as high as 8800ft. Temp light never came on.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I'm back after first tow

Picked up our Chalet LTW in Medford Oregon and brought it home to Eureka, CA. The dumbed down CVT in the 2.5 worked better than expected and gas mileage was down about 15% to 27.5. According to the sales slip, actual weight was 1,375 lbs.

Looking at things another way, brake pads are really cheap and easy to replace. OTOH I didn't need to brake any more than without the trailer. This is probably because I was going sensibly slower and my driving style is to maximize momentum. Still, I wish that the 2.5 had a better selection of CVT ratios and/or lockup modes for better deceleration, such as a "sport mode" or "mountain mode". I like the alliteration of the later.

GD

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I'm back after first tow

Picked up our Chalet LTW in Medford Oregon and brought it home to Eureka, CA. The dumbed down CVT in the 2.5 worked better than expected and gas mileage was down about 15% to 27.5. According to the sales slip, actual weight was 1,375 lbs.

Looking at things another way, brake pads are really cheap and easy to replace. OTOH I didn't need to brake any more than without the trailer. This is probably because I was going sensibly slower and my driving style is to maximize momentum. Still, I wish that the 2.5 had a better selection of CVT ratios and/or lockup modes for better deceleration, such as a "sport mode" or "mountain mode". I like the alliteration of the later.

As for the Outback vs. Forester question: Looks like wheelbase is the difference.

GD

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm a little late to your party guys and really appreciate all of the insights. So many things go into towing rating. I was going to buy the forrester, but ended up with the Outback because of the towing rating. Also because the Outback is a much nicer ride for a little more money.
My thinking on the towing is that connection between the drive train and the body could be a factor. Trailers hook on to the body, and the force from the trailer is transferred to the running gear. I don't know exactly what points take up the thrust, but all of the force from the driving gear has to be transmitted to the body through various engine, transmission and suspension mounts. These could easily be a big factor, and a hidden one for the towing differences.
Earlier someone said that the OP was obviously trying to tow above or at the towing rating because of his question, but for me, it was which car to buy. I don't want to tow my 900# teardrop with a 1500# rated vehicle. I would much prefer more headroom.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts