Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Forester
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if there is any way to positively confirm whether the CVT's torque converter is locked-up or not on my 2016 Forester 2.5i. This is the one time I wish it were capable of a fixed ratio as is available with the paddle shifters. Any throttle input significant enough to increase speed results in an RPM increase before the speed starts to increase. I am uncertain if this is the result of a ratio change of the CVT, or slippage due to an unlocked torque converter. Is there anyway to positively tell the difference?

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring
682 Posts
Torque converter lockup will show RPMs drop a few hundred. If you get upto cruising speed and see no drop then no lockup is happening (don't know if it should with a CVT?).

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,583 Posts
Its difficult. Whenit is warm accelerate slowly you should feel a slight bump. At maybe 35 mph. At 55-60 mph the rpm is around 1600rpm when it is locked. I will check closer today.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Prem
14 Posts
The Android app Torque along with the ActiveODB TQ plugin will show you when the torque converter locks. You will also need a bluetooth ODBII reader.

·
Registered
2016 Forester
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Android app Torque along with the ActiveODB TQ plugin will show you when the torque converter locks. You will also need a bluetooth ODBII reader.
Ugh. I don't have any android devices or an ODBII reader. Is there any equivalent iOS app?

·
Registered
2016 Forester
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Torque converter lockup will show RPMs drop a few hundred. If you get upto cruising speed and see no drop then no lockup is happening (don't know if it should with a CVT?).
That's the way it worked with the old 4-speed on my 2000 Toyota Corolla, but Subaru's CVT is supposed to lock-up during acceleration (about 20mph if the CVT fluid is up to temp, if I'm remembering correctly).

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,583 Posts
Checked out yesterday. You should be 1500 rpm at 50mph.

It locks up around 30+ mph. If the engine is up to temperature (requirement for lockup). Accelerate very very slowly on a flat road and you will feel it.

Hope that helps

1 - 7 of 7 Posts