Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 impreza with 118K, wife has 2015 forester with around 70K. Both have the CVT and both currently are working fine and have had no maintenance on them.

1. What kind of life can you get out of a cvt?
2. Have you changed the fluid. Subaru said I didn't need to but I think I should.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Subaru Canada requires that CVT fluid be changed at 100,000 km (62,137 miles) in order to keep the extended CVT warranty valid, so I'm taking that as a hint that it should be changed. So I plan on having my CVT fluid changed every 60,000 miles.

·
Registered
145 Posts
CVT life can go pretty long, or short, issues seem to be kinda random. I try to pay attention to CVT issues reported here and there doesn't seem to be one specific 'Achilles heel' that will kill it. Mine had to be replaced at just 6,000 miles on the car due to a fluid leak, some are needing just the valve body replaced beyond 100k, its pretty reliable overall.

I have had fluid changed once at 30k, and plan to continue changing it on that interval, but I tow with the car and fall under the 'severe use' category schedule. My car for sure felt smoother and got slightly better MPG after the first fluid flush.

If you do have the fluid changed, shop around before pulling the trigger. I paid $252 at my Subaru dealer, some have reported being quoted over $400 for the same service... so beware of gouging

·
Registered
574 Posts
I had the fluid changed on mine at 50,000 km/30,000 miles because I do a lot of towing, about 10,000 km so far, and visually the fluid taken out looked no different to what went in.

Despite the angst sometimes vented here, the CVTs seem to be at least as reliable as the old 4EAT slush box and the guys at the Outback forum are apparently of the view that they are more reliable.

The only real issue I see is Subaru's unwillingness to supply parts. Hopefully, this will change as the extended warranties run out. Expecting people to pay $8k for a replacement transmission when a repair may cost only a few hundred is extortion, imo, and will lose it a lot of sales.

·
Registered
34 Posts
3 CVT fluid changes.
First around 50k used Valvoline's CVT.
Second was around 100k again using Valvoline.
Thirs is about to come at 150k and i will be using the Valvoline CVTF once again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
6 Participants
AdrianFozz
Subaru Forester Owners Forum
We’re the best Subaru Forester Owners Forum to talk about the best years of the Subaru Forester, modifications and reliability history of the Subaru Forester.
Full Forum Listing