Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT Premium automatic
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year when I mistakenly drained my 2.5i's transmission fluid(CVT)
thinking it was the crankcase oil or engine oil, I was informed by the dealer that I must use Subaru fluid CVT C-30 oil,which is blue in color to refill it. The question ,is this the correct fluid to use on my 2016 Forester XT ? From what I have read on the forum even though both Foresters use a CVT trans,the one on the XT is different than the one on the 2.5i. thanks ed

·
Premium Member
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
12,787 Posts
You must use the High Torque fluid, which is orange in color, for the XT's CVT.

It is in the parts system as CVT-HT (Orange) part number SOA748V0200. It is very expensive and must be ordered in a 5 gallon container, which is $378.55.

You can see a sample of new and used fluid in this photo I took before sending samples in for analysis (below):

You can see the fluid properties in this virgin oil analysis I had done: http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f89/high-torque-cvt-used-oil-analysis-results-494153/

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks both DPM and GJ, So it only comes in 5 gal. pails, thats alot of $$$$.
Do any other companies make CVT oils that are equivalent to the Subaru orange stuff?
Personally I hope so,buying 5 gals of the stuff will leave you with a good amount left over! ed

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
While looking through ebay I found Red Line makes a fluid that is
"said " to be compatible for use in the XT 's hi torque cvt trans.
Anybody ever used it? Part # 30804 tks ed

·
Premium Member
12,787 Posts
Do any other companies make CVT oils that are equivalent to the Subaru orange stuff?
Personally I hope so,buying 5 gals of the stuff will leave you with a good amount left over!
I would not recommend anything other than the OEM fluid, as it is very specific to the HTCVT. I would never use anything but OEM when under warranty.

Buying 5 gallons would allow you to do a full change. The total capacity is about 13 US quarts. That is 3.25 gallons.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok GJ, thanks again. Wondering if you sent in your used sample of the hi -torque fluid,how many miles did your used cvt fluid have on it? Also would it be possible to let me see the report of your used hi torque fluid? Thanks,thanks & thanks, ed

·
Premium Member
12,787 Posts

·
Registered
15 Forester XT CVT
1,001 Posts
this is a lifetime fluid, why did you change it 50 thousand miles?

and how much did the dealer charge to do it? should they not log trans temps as they refill it?

·
Premium Member
12,787 Posts

and how much did the dealer charge to do it? should they not log trans temps as they refill it?
Lifetime fluid, but under severe driving it is supposed to be replaced at 24,855 miles. Because of that, I wanted to see how the oil was holding up at 50,000. I am happy with the results and see no problem with going at least 100k miles with my driving habits.

I can't remember how much they charged, but only 7 quarts of fluid drained out. They followed procedure of using the select monitor and checking temperature when refilling.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Because of what I have read and seen from GJ's oil test analysis,I am
going to change mine at around 25,000,since one of these transmissions
costs about $5,000 to replace, I look at it as cheap insurance. ed

·
Premium Member
12,787 Posts
Because of what I have read and seen from GJ's oil test analysis,I am
going to change mine at around 25,000,since one of these transmissions
costs about $5,000 to replace, I look at it as cheap insurance. ed
Not sure what you are seeing in my UOA that makes you think 25,000 mile intervals is worth it.

I would do somewhere between 75,000 and 100,000 mile intervals if you don't do any towing or racing.

·
Premium Member
2016 XT Touring CVT
679 Posts
Not sure what you are seeing in my UOA that makes you think 25,000 mile intervals is worth it.

I would do somewhere between 75,000 and 100,000 mile intervals if you don't do any towing or racing.
as a side note, JDM CVTs come with a secondary cooler... our current CVTs come with a liquid to liquid 'warmer/cooler' using the engine coolant. Great for getting you up to temp quickly for S# but terrible for keeping temps lower against coolant that might be near 199F... kind of a weird solution approach by Subaru... hence a secondary cooler on their overseas 'racing' models...

so... if you are really worried about managing your CVT, consider a secondary cooler (either the JDM subaru one though you are on your own or @Mishimoto has one for the WRX and you'll be on your own to mount it etc)

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5 Limited CVT
56 Posts
I'll let you guys know when I get my results back from blackstone for my 2.5 Limited CVT with 100,000 miles. The onboard computer said I had a 22% CVT Fluid Deterioration Rate so it should be interesting to see how accurate that reading is. Here's the video I made doing a flush with Amsoil CVT Fluid (Amsoil claims this fluid meets Both the 2.5 and 2.0XT orange spec)

·
Registered
2016 Forester 2.5i CVT
183 Posts
I understand a lot of these OEM CVT fluids are dyed specific colors, but once it gets some miles on it, it turns dark brown/black just like used motor oil. I recently did a few drain/fills on the Jatco CVT in my 2016 Nissan Quest at 33K miles. The factory CVT juice drained out looking just like used motor oil. The new stuff is a bright blue like windshield washer fluid. After two 4qt D/F's, it's blueish again! Luckily doing this is easier than an engine oil change on this van.

I understand the standard lineartronic CVT oil is blue and the high torque is orange. I've read many times where owners of ~2012 vintage Subaru CVTs used Valvoline CVT fluid with perfect results. Valvoline CVT fluid is amber like motor oil.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5 Limited CVT
56 Posts
Here's the Blackstone report: elevated iron levels most likely from break in. They said the fluid compares to samples they get with 55k miles on it. Not bad. They said that it was good I flushed it. I probably won't have to mess with the cvt again for quite a while hopefully. They said they don't know how the on board computer calculated the 22% deterioration rate but they could see no correlation in the data.

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i CVT
600 Posts

Its a lifetime fluid only if your interest is restricted to lasting the 'lifetime' of the warranty. Some people plan to keep their vehicles on the road longer.

All oils break down, additives, viscosity. Transmissions are high pressure and heat systems.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts