Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Banned
2017 FOrester 2.5i cvt
612 Posts
Here's a vid of my buddy in his range rover. I was filming him from my XT.
Are you playing around in the Fish Creek or the Mud CAves area?

I learned some time ago, that if you deflate your tires to 3/4 normal , fully inflated diameter( do this in the driveway the first time to see what the tire pressure [email protected] 75% height), you effectively double your contact patch . Using the brake or skinny peddle aggressively can pop the bead if you're not careful.

·
Banned
2017 FOrester 2.5i cvt
612 Posts
I'll see if I can dig it up again, but I seem to recall in the owner's manual about driving in soft sand or starting out to drive on steep, low traction inclines- it basically said to deactivate/hit the VDC button. I guess to allow more wheel speed...
"Use this switch in the following special
situations. Creating an adequate driving
wheel slip by deactivating the Vehicle
Dynamics Control system may help to
recover from the loss of traction. Use the
Vehicle Dynamics Control OFF switch as
necessary.
. a standing start on a steeply sloping
road with a snowy or gravel-covered
surface
. extrication of the vehicle when its
wheels are stuck in mud or deep snow"
Vehicle Resources | Subaru of America

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.0XT H-CVT
363 Posts
I'm bored, was browsing the forums, and noticed this thread. Here's a link to a thread I created a while ago about taking 2 CVT subaru's to the Oceano Sand dunes last year. I have a 2015 Forester XT and my buddy has the 2017 Forester 2.5. Not only are we driving in sand, but up and down and all around it. The thread also has a guy from Chile driving on his sand dunes in his CVT equipped FXT.

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f102/2-sj-foresters-sand-dunes-718721/

So, I'm starting to wonder if it's a straight up "rumor" that CVT's overheat and tap out, or if it's all just speculation. I just don't think it's good for new Forester owners to think they have to purchase trans coolers right off the bat. I've driven "UP" many steep trails: Rocky, snowy, sandy and I never had an issue. Check out the below video from this guy in Australia that has an off road modded SH Forester XT with a 5EAT with BFG KO2's and how it compares to a completely stock SJ Forester XT. I'm just hoping that we don't steer people the wrong way. :p

·
Registered
363 Posts
I experienced a CVT overheated light one time. It was 114 Degree's out in Anza Borrego, CA and I had just purchased my Geolandar G015's. I wanted to test them out and was able to find a steep rutted hill that was around 35-40 degree's. I purposely stopped in the middle of it to do the "SUBARU HILL TEST" although this was much more extreme with how lose and rutted the hill was. I Flogged my gas pedal in S# mode and in 1st gear M mode. The tires spun crazily for a whole minute until it finally clawed it's way up using the power of the FA20DIT motor, and right after the climb, I got the orange CVT overheated light on my dash. Also, my center info screen said my oil temp was at 330 Fahrenheit, Yikes!!!!

No one in their right mind would have put a car through that abuse. Common sense should have told any normal human being to "get momentum" or "try a better line",not stop on the middle of a rutted hill and abuse your CVT.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
1,679 Posts
@JonDeeZee,
"No one in their right mind would have put a car through that abuse." ... but what if you had to...
What is that was the best line available and you were on hill one of five?
A manual trans Foz could take that "abuse" all day without complaining.
It's pretty sad that Subaru for 2019 has no options for either transmission (only the CVT) or turbo (not)...
Not that I really want (or need) a turbo, but I don't like the CVT.
As others have said, Subaru has declined into the "mom-mobile" category, and has departed from the well priced capable AWD fun to drive to become a gadgety pricey kid hauler.
Looks like Subaru #6 won't be replaced by Subaru #7 .
:-(

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
1,679 Posts
@JonDeeZee,
"No one in their right mind would have put a car through that abuse." ... but what if you had to...
It's pretty sad that Subaru for 2019 has no options for either transmission (only the CVT) or turbo (not)...
As others have said, Subaru has declined into the "mom-mobile" category, and has departed from the well priced capable AWD fun to drive to become a gadgety pricey kid hauler.

·
Registered
363 Posts
@JonDeeZee,

If I had to do it again, I would wiggle my steering wheel left and right to get more traction .

I’ve driven up a level 5 Jeep trail with 4000 ft of elevation gain. A stock Subaru 1st thru 4th gen should not go over 3-4. I have skid plates, and used them to tackle a level 5. My CVT never had problems, not even close to the test i put it through.

I just hope people have enough common sense to think they don’t need to spend a bunch of money on a trans cooler :)

So so so sad about the 2019 Forester. A lot of car companies are scaling back right now though. Ford is discontinuing ALL their cars!!!

My bet all the scaling back is temporary, let’s hope!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
1,679 Posts
@JonDeeZee,
Thanks for that on the CVT.. it sounds like you haven't found it to be a problem.
I guess for you the 2019 problem is the no turbo option, but then, like you say, by the time you need to replace your '15, things could change.
My strategy is to make my vehicle last as long as possible, and since I'm driving less and enjoying it more...
Anyway, thanks again for the additional info on capability.
Rgds
DS7

·
Super Moderator
1,894 Posts
Nice video. Wish I could hear how hard the motor was working for on the sand...

Air down to 12 psi. you'll be ok.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUluAZmgmCs

i didn't really take it up and down the test hills but i think i would have made it.

It's not really made for offroading, but just for transport. a tranny cooler would help.

·
Registered
363 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
@JonDeeZee,

Thanks for that on the CVT.. it sounds like you haven't found it to be a problem.

I guess for you the 2019 problem is the no turbo option, but then, like you say, by the time you need to replace your '15, things could change.

My strategy is to make my vehicle last as long as possible, and since I'm driving less and enjoying it more...

Anyway, thanks again for the additional info on capability.

Rgds

DS7

There’s a big Subaru enthusiast group down here in SoCal called MtnRoo. There’s many members running newer models with CVT’s and of course we the guys running old L series wagons with true 4x4. Actually, tbh, I think most of our group is comprised of 1st and 2nd gen Foresters and then the newer Foresters. Not too many 2009-2014 Foresters, but I think that’s because off roading a subaru wasn’t as popular as it is now. That was the generation of lowering and cambering the wheels out.

I’m surprised at how capable a 2.5 Foresters is. According to members of the group that are actual Subaru mechanics, the CVT models put more power down to the wheels compared to the 4eat and 5eat. The earlier Foresters (1st and 2nd gen) are lighter though. Also, you can fit some tall wheels on the current model. I have 28.5’s on mine, but some people run 30’s.

The 2019 Forester will be even better, and I know this because people driving the new crosstreks say they are much faster and accelerate smoother compared to the previous crosstrek despite only getting a 4hp bump. I wouldn’t be surprised if the 2019 model ends up accelerating 1 second faster from 0-60 with its 12hp bump.

Would I buy one? No, not when I have my trusty FA20DIT turbo already .

Now, if they come out with a 2019 model Forester with a hybrid performance engine (The Toyota RAV 4 is said to have one), then I think I could definitely give up the turbo. I wouldn’t be surprised if they did, since that’s the upcoming trend, electrifying vehicles. Also, I’m assuming the wheel wells got larger, maybe we can throw on 30’s with no problems at all, maybe even 31’s, hehe .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Forester Manual
336 Posts
@JonDeeZee,
The transmission could probably take it, but I bet it would be time for a new clutch and flywheel!

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Premium
22 Posts
In shallow sand yes without issue but deep sand no, I am worried about it. But should be fine if you have emergency supplies

21 - 39 of 39 Posts