Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2017 Forester XT CVT (High Torque)
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to find a shop which can install the Subaru Forester CVT cooler that is available in Japan and standard in Australia. My dealer won’t install any mods due to liability (not a surprise). I had an independent shop claim that installing a CVT cooler would void my warranty.

Does anyone have any experience making a CVT warranty claim after installing a Subaru CVT cooler?

It seems to me that US warranty laws would preclude Subaru from refusing a warranty repair/replacement unless the CVT cooler was installed wrong or failed (like it leaked all the CVT fluid out and left it dry). Especially for a part which is known to protect the CVT from premature failure.

I’d love to hear from people who had experience dealing with SOA on a warranty claim. There are all sorts of people with opinions on warranties, but does anyone have an informed opinion or experience?

·
Premium Member
2017 Forester XT CVT (High Torque)
277 Posts
It seems I was mistaken and the only model where the CVT cooler I was talking about was standard is the Subaru Forester tS that was briefly sold in Japan and Australia.

Here are the details:
Subaru tS JDM CVT Transmission Cooler Kit - 2014+ Forester XT - Cooling - 14-18 Forester

I know that other people who have installed this cooler reported 10-15 degree drops in CVT temp, as well as some of the gremlins disappearing (shudder, hesitation, noise).

It sucks to feel like I have to choose between reliability and warranty, but that’s life.

·
Registered
2013/14 2.5i-L CVT
1,089 Posts
It seems I was mistaken and the only model where the CVT cooler I was talking about was standard is the Subaru Forester tS that was briefly sold in Japan and Australia..

My 2014 2.5i has a factory CVT cooler and afaik this was the case with all SJ N/A and XT models. I don't know if the 2019s have it.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring CVT
247 Posts
I am trying to find a shop which can install the Subaru Forester CVT cooler that is available in Japan and standard in Australia. My dealer won’t install any mods due to liability (not a surprise). I had an independent shop claim that installing a CVT cooler would void my warranty.

Does anyone have any experience making a CVT warranty claim after installing a Subaru CVT cooler?

It seems to me that US warranty laws would preclude Subaru from refusing a warranty repair/replacement unless the CVT cooler was installed wrong or failed (like it leaked all the CVT fluid out and left it dry). Especially for a part which is known to protect the CVT from premature failure.

I’d love to hear from people who had experience dealing with SOA on a warranty claim. There are all sorts of people with opinions on warranties, but does anyone have an informed opinion or experience?
It is a subaru part. With a Subaru Part #. nothing left to be questioned other then a poor install.

·
Registered
2020 Forester Touring CVT7
315 Posts
It seems I was mistaken and the only model where the CVT cooler I was talking about was standard is the Subaru Forester tS that was briefly sold in Japan and Australia.

Here are the details:
Subaru tS JDM CVT Transmission Cooler Kit - 2014+ Forester XT - Cooling - 14-18 Forester

I know that other people who have installed this cooler reported 10-15 degree drops in CVT temp, as well as some of the gremlins disappearing (shudder, hesitation, noise).

It sucks to feel like I have to choose between reliability and warranty, but that’s life.
kit is for
FORESTER XT all 14+ TX if i remember correctly have TR690

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.