Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Forester S
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At least I THINK I have it narrowed down to one of these three potential problems. 2001 Forester S, 165,000 mileage. My symptoms/descriptions are:

- Rotational grinding/clunking/er, er, er, er, er....
- Noise is at a constant pace even when accelerating or decelerating (not at the same speed as the wheels)
- Only happens when driving 30 mph or less
- Noise is REALLY bad during right and left turns (although a couple weeks ago was only when turning right, and now the noise is starting to creep in when driving straight, ugh!)
- No symptoms when driving fast or on the highway
- Not a clicking sound
- Not the mud flaps rubbing against the tires
- Changed my struts to KYB's 6 months ago, but didn't change the mounts
- Changed rotors and brake pads yesterday (no change in noise)
- No tears in any boots (although when Subaru replaced my head gaskets 3 months ago, they said I had a bad CV joint)
- Had the right front hub assembly changed 5 years ago
- Currently on my 4th front right axle, changed 7 years ago

Need to drive from Philly to JFK on Friday. Please help so I can try and fix this before then!

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2001 Forester S
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Transfer Box? What would be wrong with it?

I should mention that I did also changed the front and rear differential oil for the 1st time a couple months ago. I used Valvoline brand.

·
Registered
2001 Forester S
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They said I had a lot of things wrong with the car. For example, they said my front brake pads needed to be changed. There was at least 1/4 inch of pad left on both the passenger and drivers side. I got another year and a half out of them.

·
Registered
2005 Impreza RS Wagon Auto
3,658 Posts
They said I had a lot of things wrong with the car. For example, they said my front brake pads needed to be changed. There was at least 1/4 inch of pad left on both the passenger and drivers side. I got another year and a half out of them.
By sounds of it though, classic bad CV joint.

·
Registered
2001 Forester S
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So the joint could go bad even if there are no tears on any of the boots? Would you recommend to replace the entire axle?

·
Registered
2001 Forester S
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, problem solved. Got a reman Subaru axle from the dealer. $269. $50 refund when I return the old core. Pulled the old axle, put in the new one and it has completely solved the problem! Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
15 Posts
Hi Emerald

Could you elaborate more on the axle repair? From what you describe as your problem, I'm having the same issue but unfortunately mine was from an accident when a car side swipe me on the right front fender causing damage to my fender, wheel and suspension.

Thanks,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts