Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Forester S
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My legacy has CV axle issues, and when I bought the Forester the previous owner let me know (after the deal) to watch the CV boots. :icon_rolleyes:

I thought I'd get the spectrum of opinions from this enlightning forum on axle sources. An internet search kicks up 4 sources of interest:

OEM @ $189/axle from subarupartsforyou (+ delivery cost). The gold standard.

Raxle rebuilds @ $175/axle (+ delivery cost). Excellent reputation.

MWE rebuild @ $75/axle + $20 core fee + $20 delivery = $115/axle (note: shipping cost = core refund so returning core is a wash). Also excellent reputation.

EMPI (new axle) retails @ $117/axle found on amazon @ $50/axle + $18 deliver = $68/axle (at that price you could by 2 replacements plus a spare). Various forum discussions seem are uniformly positive. EMPI seems to have a good reputation.

Any experience with these manufacturers?

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,462 Posts
I've done LOTS of research on here about this. I will save you some reading... Here are the general consensus of best choices from best to 3rd best.
1) OEM
2) Raxles- good rebuilder here in U.S.
3) NAPA- uses A-1 Cardone- been found to be very good.

I bought one from NAPA a month ago with no problems. They will ask if you want new or rebuilt. You want rebuilt!!! Their new ones are the same Chinese garbage you get at Advance and AutoZone. People have had lots of problems with these being unbalanced.

·
Registered
1998 Forester S
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow. Thanks for the quick response. Does NAPA give a better warrantee on the Cardone axles than buying through another discount retailer like RockAuto?

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,462 Posts
Lifetime, generally with no questions asked. Just don't lose your receipt.

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,070 Posts
I'll put in a vote in for the following order:
Quality:
1-OEM
2-MWE

Cost:
1-MWE
2-OEM

We have had zero success with any local store bought axles making it past a year. Enough so I ended up making a list of what brand each store carried and the associated problems with each brand just so we could keep track of what we tried.

-Napa stocks 2 axles for the '98, Napa MaxDrive and Altrom both have failed multiple times. No balance issues or boot failures just CV joints failing.

-Autozone stocks Duralast and Cardone, both remans with a lifetime warranty. The Duralast ones make it about 4 months and the Cardones did close to a year. Again no balance issues or boot failures, but CV joint failures.

-Pepboys, just walk away. PB/FENCO/FENWICK AUTOMOTIVE are their brands. If it wasn't issues with cheap boots tearing within a month of install it was balance issues.

-O'Reilly stocks Master Pro and EverDrive. Again both brands are remans. On the EverDrive the CV joints failed after 5 months. The Master Pro's we have had 2 with balance issues and 1 failed joint.

We have had 100% success with the OEM and MWE reman axles.

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,462 Posts
Hmmm, never heard of MWE. I noticed that A1 Cardone was not on your list anywhere. When I managed a Discount Auto, this is what we carried as our only brand. I had 1 or 2come back in 8 years there. NAPA carries them now, only under private label. Thanks for the input. I agree in staying away from all new aftermaket brands though.

·
Registered
2004 XT 5 MT
1,093 Posts
Back from the dead I have done a lot of reading and lande in oem reman from subaru. Are these what you mean when you say oem or are you referring to new subaru ?
Obviously new subaru would be better but for the xt they are over 290 a piece.

Lastly the xt doesn't appear to have a pin and I don't see mention of one in the fsm. There is mention of a lot of fancy subaru tools in he fsm though.
Thanks

Edit:
I guess I should have read your upper post better since it answers my question carry on :)

·
Registered
2004 XT 5 MT
1,093 Posts
Update:
I found out that subaru doesn't offer a reman for the xt?
However one part number I came up with might fit?

SOA966h1200r1

thanks

·
Registered
2005 XT
15 Posts
Update:
I found out that subaru doesn't offer a reman for the xt?
However one part number I came up with might fit?

SOA966h1200r1

thanks
I have same question as above.
I note one seller is selling PN SOA966H1200R1 as suitable for an XT, and another specifically states not suitable for Turbo trim.
Anyone know if there is an OEM reman axle available for an XT?
Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts