Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2001 forester
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know i am going to be hated on for thinking about doing this but i have a 2001 forester and wanting to lowering but don't really have the funds to get coil overs for it yet and am looking for a super cheap way of lowering it. my cheap way of lowering is cutting the springs. i know it is a terrible idea but i really think my forester would look a thousand times better if it was lowered even an inch. does anyone have any ideas on how many coils i will have to cut off? any kind of help would be great

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,294 Posts
dont dooo itt!!!

you'll be paying for it in the form of new struts :|

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Pickup some used impreza/wrx/sti takeoffs. You can get them for less than $200 and it will give you 2.5"+ of drop and still have good handling and ride quality.

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
I'm running cut springs, but only lowered by about 1", but then I'm running Impreza struts as well!

Simon

·
Registered
02 Forester L (sold) Manual
1,220 Posts
WRX spring/strut swap FTW. Cutting not only will kill your existing struts in short order, the ride will be absolute crap. I've never ridden in a car with cut springs that didn't ride like a child's hobby horse.

·
Registered
2014 2.0XT CVT
3,069 Posts
ok so to actually help you out and not yell at you for your idea (although its not a good one).

If you are going to cut your springs DO NOT use a torch and you want to keep the springs as cool as possible when cutting so cutting them in a bucket of water has been done. The main thing is to keep them from getting hot.

As far as how much to cut off: from the little research I've ever done most will say that 1 coil is about 1" of drop. Make sure you cut both EXACTLY the same.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
It would be alot less hassle to buy shorter OEM Impreza or STi springs for $40 and install them over the stock struts, which will blow soon anyway. Cutting springs just sounds like too much work for too ghetto of a result.

Stan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts