Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2008 GRB 20th anniversary 6 MT
6,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When ordering something from Japan/US etc. does Royal Mail bring it to your door and you pay the postman the import duty and VAT or do customs send you a letter and you have to go pick it up from somewhere?
Cheers :)

·
Registered
2004 XT Manual
837 Posts
Depends on carrier. From experience I've either taken delivery and then had invoice through the post or Ive paid on collection from depot. My last shipment (spoiler) from the states went through without being spotted and no vat or import duty was paid. Unusual for that to happen though.

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
It will vanishingly rare come by RM if its anything 'substatial'.

I've never been approached for something as small as a 'large letter' (including RM's 'packet') for import duty.

If its larger and comes via courier they will usually hold it in bonded store until duty is paid before completing delivery.

Simon

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bugger. Was thinking of importing the FSTI quickshift from Japan. Not exactly small I guess(?), and not being in UK at the moment (coming back in 2 weeks), it means someone would have to go and collect it from a depot then.

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,881 Posts
Most items from the "Far East" are sent by EMS which is handled by Parcel Force at this end.
You would be notified of the customs/handling charge, usually by 1st class letter, once it reaches the destination depot. You can "pay and collect" or pay on line and have it delivered.

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Most items from the "Far East" are sent by EMS which is handled by Parcel Force at this end.
You would be notified of the customs/handling charge, usually by 1st class letter, once it reaches the destination depot. You can "pay and collect" or pay on line and have it delivered.
Yes japanparts use EMS. OK, I didn't know that I can pay online and have it delivered.
Cheers!

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Premium Member
2015 XC diesel CVT
4,053 Posts
DHL pay the duty up-front for domestic customers, and their admin charge is reasonable, too.

·
Registered
1997 T/tb
511 Posts
My last shipment (spoiler) from the states went through without being spotted and no vat or import duty was paid. Unusual for that to happen though.
All the parts for the cranes i build and repair come from the USA. some times they get caught up in customs and you end up with a whacking great bill to pay, and sometimes you are lucky and they make it through!

I have a new Stainless manifold comming from the USA for my MX5 and already i have a parcelforce invoice to pay even though i dont have the manifold yet.

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The weird thing is that in Germany you have to pay import duty and VAT on postage as well!!! I guess to stop people from importing outside EU.

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,881 Posts
The weird thing is that in Germany you have to pay import duty and VAT on postage as well!!! I guess to stop people from importing outside EU.
You do here as well.

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
Not sure why you blsme the EU at all, the same situation existed before 1972, and it exists in almost every other country in the world......

Simon

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Not sure why you blsme the EU at all, the same situation existed before 1972, and it exists in almost every other country in the world......

Simon
I can understand import duty and VAT on products but on postage? It makes no sense at all :mob:
In the 90's when EU restricted imports of Japanese cars to Europe, Japan built factories in Europe to get around it.
I have now realised that the EU was built to strengthen the german industry so that they can sell their products to the rest of us.
But US revealed their scandals (see Mercedes, Siemens etc) and are now using Greece to get a foot on Europe.
The best thing UK and a few other countries have done is not to join the euro as they can always devalue their currency to help exports.
A bit off topic but since you got me started, the article below gives some food for thought. Translation is not very good but read it until the end and you can get the gist.
Olympic he means Olympiakos by the way and Pro-Po is the Ladbrokes equivalent.
Google Translate

·
Registered
1997 T/tb
511 Posts
I dont have much to do with our shipping department but im pretty sure you can get things in to the EU via Rotterdam VAT and Import Duty free. Not sure how or why, but if we have big shippments to Europe, it always comes via Rotterdam.

·
Registered
2009 2.0 D XC
65 Posts
I can understand import duty and VAT on products but on postage? It makes no sense at all
An attempt to create a level playing field for EC manufacturers - uplifting the value of the goods to reflect that they have been transported half way round the world. For air freight there are % to apply to the air freight to reflect when the plane enters EC airspace.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts