Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I purchased a 2019 Forester Sport recently. Today I installed 17" Motegi MR139 wheels and LT225/65R-17 BFG KO2 tires (I am awaiting for my black lugs/wheel locks to arrive). I had tire pressure sensors installed on the wheels/tires. My question is for anyone with custom wheels and tires. My TPMS light does not illuminate which is a good thing, but on the display it does not show the pressures in each tire as it does on the factory wheels/tires. Is this normal? I appreciate any insight.

Attachments

·
admin
6,671 Posts
My experience with non oem sensors is the tire shop will often fail to initialize the sensors. The sensors need to be told what vehicle they are on. Then read and synced with your car. That was my experience with aftermarket Schrader EZ sensors.

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
I live next to a Les Schwab, can I get this done at a tire center like them?
I have aftermarket schrader sensors installed in winter wheels by Discount tire. It took them over a week and about 5 trips before they coudl get teh sensors paired up. It does show the pressure values on the screen. They had a difficult time gettign the right codes for pairing and they ended up using the code for a 2018 crosstrek.

I am actually putting my summer wheels back on (OEM 18s on Sport) and those OEM sensors are not paired. So, I am not sure if I need to just wakeup the sensors or if I have to repair them. In either case, I hate going to the shop all the time for stuff like this. So, I did some investigating and it looks like ATEQ offers a couple solutions designed specifically for the hobbyist that wants to switch back and forth between summer and winter wheels.

I am just not sure if it will all work since the car is so new and even DT had a hard time with the pairing and code entry.

The setup I plan to use is the ATEQ Quickset - Subaru (not universal) $144 from IAP new and VT31 $70 on ebay, new.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Scott. I will give it one shot with the shop. Seeing the pressures is not a big deal to me, I was just curious what others experiences were. I may look into that same setup that you will use. I appreciate the reply.

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
Any luck with the tire pressure readings???

I was able to re-program my OEM wheels and sensors (summer set) tonight. It took me a few tries, but it worked and the TPMS sensor light went out. I do not have tire pressure readings yet. I am hoping it pops up after a long drive home from work tomorrow.

I did need two programs for the Forester. I was not sure the VT31 would work, but it did. In fact to my surprise it actually had the 2019 Forester in the program screen. I selected it then went around the car to trigger each sensor. I then entered teh sensor IDs into the Quickset via PC program. This took a few attempts and some extra software downloads, but the light went away. Just not getting the tire pressure readings yet.

I am posting more details and photos on my modz page: https://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f115/my-2019-subaru-forester-sport-let-modz-begin-792005/index15.html#post7553347

·
Registered
379 Posts
What happens when the TPMS alarms? Does it just turn a light on on the dashboard? Does a piece of black tape fix it?

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
What happens when the TPMS alarms? Does it just turn a light on on the dashboard? Does a piece of black tape fix it?
Nope. Much more in teh newer cars. My 09 had a single TPMS light on the dash, but the 2019 has the light, plus an "i" warning light, plus it flashes a warning message to consult operators manual for the first minute or so when starting and driving the car, plus when viewing the tire pressure readings on the LCD display, the tire picture will show dashes instead of pressure levels.

Much more annoying in the 2019.

My photos do not show the warning message, but it does show the TPMS light and the "i" warning light.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
Any luck with the tire pressure readings???

I was able to re-program my OEM wheels and sensors (summer set) tonight. It took me a few tries, but it worked and the TPMS sensor light went out. I do not have tire pressure readings yet. I am hoping it pops up after a long drive home from work tomorrow.

I did need two programs for the Forester. I was not sure the VT31 would work, but it did. In fact to my surprise it actually had the 2019 Forester in the program screen. I selected it then went around the car to trigger each sensor. I then entered teh sensor IDs into the Quickset via PC program. This took a few attempts and some extra software downloads, but the light went away. Just not getting the tire pressure readings yet.

I am posting more details and photos on my modz page: https://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f115/my-2019-subaru-forester-sport-let-modz-begin-792005/index15.html#post7553347

Everything is working perfectly and I have the pressure readings. I now have a solution for swapping summer/winter wheels with two different sets of sensored. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
379 Posts
Much more annoying in the 2019.
Out of the things you listed, I think if some sort of "check owner's manual" thing popped up occasionally, it'd bug me. The other things are more benign. If people can tune lots of stuff in their cars, toggle things on and off, they should try to get rid of the TPMS system too. I'd be angry if I had to spend $50 more per wheel to get rid of silly messages.

Maybe someone could just make a little transmitter that sends "the tire pressure is okay" signals and stick it under the dash somewhere.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts