Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2003 XTi Cross Sports 4EAT :(
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading on here that a custom MagnaFlow setup is likely the best "economical but effective" way to go for a custom exhaust.

Not to copy, but I was hoping to do something similar to what Bobby did on his 2007 as seen here.

I'm looking for a place to go, maybe someplace recommended by someone who has had work done there in person as I know there are quite a few Seattle residents on the forum.

Also curious to a round about price for the procedure.

I'm planning to do this after I get my intake going which should be in the next few months after I recover from the dent my new rims and tires put in my wallet.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,823 Posts
Nothing wrong with going with a Magnaflow & the axle back will be under $300! We have one on all 3 of our vehicles & we love the sound! :cool: Unless you want a louder sound, leave the factory resonator. You can always pop in an aftermarket resonator later on if you want a louder exhaust. :wink:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Registered
:(
471 Posts
JohnJohn at Outback Automotive in Auburn. He's the man. He's a good buddy and does EVERYTHING to our subies. He's definitely a subie guru and specializes in exhaust work/tuning/everything. On the local chapter on NASIOC he often runs service specials, you should take a peek. And he's also the owner and a super guy =) Let him know Jessica with the Forester sent ya if you call!
-Jess

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bit of a drive to Auburn but I might call and talk some things over, maybe try to get more than one thing done at the same time if hes a Subaru guy.

·
Registered
2013 BRZ 6speed RWD
53 Posts
Im building a custom exhaust for my SF5 right now with a magnaflow. They sound awesome on a 2.5RS I did for a friend and I want the same sound on mine. Definitly the way i would go

·
Registered
563 Posts
Let us know what you do! I looking to do the same!
I heard it about 50 to 75 dollars to take a muffler and turn it into an axel back

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm glad it should stay under $500. Makes me happy.

I will let you all know what I decide to do.

In the meantime keep throwing out suggestions for possible local places. Nice to have options.

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
Do you have a Walt's near you? The one in Renton was going to build me a full 3" catback system with a magnaflow muffler for $300. It should be even cheaper for an X model since you should use 2.25" ID piping at the most.

You could also find a used WRX or XT muffler and have them do a catback using it. Used XT and WRX mufflers go for $50 or less, so it is a cheap option. Tre36 is running a straight midpipe (no resonator) with an XT muffler and it sounds good. It is not loud, doesn't drone, but sounds much better than the 1.75" setup his 03 X had on it stock.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I talked to the local Walts manager and he was kind of an donkey. Didn't seem interested in helping me out at all, he took my name and # and said he would get me a quote, but I'm not expecting any calls.

·
Registered
2002 Forester S
270 Posts
Does the magnaflow actually result in any noticeable performance or mileage improvements?

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
A basic muffler has no tubing, just the box or can. If you buy a Magnaflow or similar Universal style muffer they add the rest of the pipes at the install. So if you get one of the Magnaflow mufflers for $150, they will charge $50-$75 to make it fit your car and have it bolt up to your midpipe.

·
Registered
2003 F150
2 Posts
A basic muffler has no tubing, just the box or can. If you buy a Magnaflow or similar Universal style muffer they add the rest of the pipes at the install. So if you get one of the Magnaflow mufflers for $150, they will charge $50-$75 to make it fit your car and have it bolt up to your midpipe.

I had a custom shop fab mine up out the door for 185 includinng mufflers

1 - 15 of 15 Posts