Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been doing diligent research on exhausts for the FXT and came across a semi-local custom exhaust builder. As it turns out he is well known for his excellent work. It takes 1.5 days to do a turbo back system!

On to the real question, does anyone have experience with this?
He uses all mandrel bend stainless steel (I'm thinking I'd use 3"), would install metal cat (which I want), and build his own downpipe. He also would tack on a few different mufflers for me to hear and choose from (which is big to me). He quoted right around $1,000.
I'd say this is a fair price expecially considering the price of some turbo back kits. I've seen some photos of his work, and it is beautiful. He has done cross pipes, X, and H pipes on V8's etc. The work is really art!

Anything I should watch out for? Sensor placements, deletes, etc?

·
Super Moderator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
35,902 Posts
I spent over $800 for the custom exhaust on my '03X, now my son's Forester. On my '07 FSXT, I did this for $285 & I love the sound! :wink:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
1,545 Posts
I'd say it sounds good considering you are getting a DP with it and allowing you to test/select your preferred sound. Questions I would ask........Does he offer any warranty on the system, how long is he in business, how busy is he and how old is he. Just some questions I would ask myself to be comfortable with my purchase. The last 2 are to make sure he will hopefully not go out of business or sell it to someone else leaving you holding the bag or exhaust system in this case. The last 2 can be a bit extreme but you never know, especially with this economy.
Please keep us posted with pics if you have it done. I'm sure others in WI would appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
2008 FSXT 4EAT
4,161 Posts
$1,000 is a decent price for a turbo-back exhaust, but I don't think it's worth the extra $$$ to have a custom downpipe made as there's already a huge selection to choose from. Personally, I'd be looking for a lightly used catted downpipe, which will run ~$300. From that point, a custom cat-back will net you a huge savings and the sound/look you want.

I have a Cobb turbo-back exhaust, which I bought used for a hair over $600, and it's considered to be one of the best exhausts on the market.

Here are a few good places to continue your search for a downpipe, if you want a new one.

STi & WRX Performance Parts: Downpipes & Center Pipes

RallySportDirect.com - Subaru Impreza WRX Exhaust Downpipes - Performance Upgrade Parts

http://www.daddysscp.com/searchresults.asp?cat=43

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's unique after watching exhaust videos, you can read descriptions of what they're using and have a pretty good grip on what it will sound like. I guess that's what these forums really help with. Gettin' educated.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts