Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,194 Posts
Nice!! Now, theres an option for each avenue.

Lowering, use the wrx konis.
Stay somewhat same height, or same height, use the Cuscos.

Thanks for sharing. It'll be nice to see someone actually jump on them!!

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
So you going to get these or what! ;)
Most likely not, they are pretty pricey and I don't have the spare funds to experiment. I don't need oodles of ground clearance. I'm actually half way done with collecting all the parts necessary to do a Koni/King Springs build with top hat spacers using WRX spec parts. That will get me about an inch higher than I am right now for light off road and gravel/dirt forest road duty, while maintaining the road manners I require. 90% of my driving is around town and highway. Plus, as much as I would love something really lifted and capable, I just don't envision myself driving something like that around all day. I'm kinda going for a gravel rally build. Lower than stock, but still with some suspension travel and a beefy A/T tire and taught suspension look.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Most likely not, they are pretty pricey and I don't have the spare funds to experiment. I don't need oodles of ground clearance. I'm actually half way done with collecting all the parts necessary to do a Koni/King Springs build with top hat spacers using WRX spec parts. That will get me about an inch higher than I am right now for light off road and gravel/dirt forest road duty, while maintaining the road manners I require. 90% of my driving is around town and highway. Plus, as much as I would love something really lifted and capable, I just don't envision myself driving something like that around all day. I'm kinda going for a gravel rally build. Lower than stock, but still with some suspension travel and a beefy A/T tire and taught suspension look.
GTEASER, are you planning on purchasing the standard King springs or the lifted springs? Your plans are what I've been looking into as well. I'm assuming you're buying the fully assembled Koni struts...

Thanks

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
GTEASER, are you planning on purchasing the standard King springs or the lifted springs? Your plans are what I've been looking into as well. I'm assuming you're buying the fully assembled Koni struts...

Thanks
In the front I'm using Koni inserts with 11-14 WRX donor struts and standard WRX King springs. The difference in spring perch height will net me a ride height gain of +5/8" and the springs should add a little, maybe 3/8". I will retain my 1" top hat spacer in the front. I want to run A/T tires that are a slightly larger than stock diameter and if I were to use the full Koni 08-10 struts, the fronts will just barely clear the spring perch with a stock tire diameter, and that wont work with an oversized tire, so I need the spring perch to be 5/8" higher, thus the 11-14 donors with inserts.

In the rear I will probably have to add a 3/4" top hat spacer to the 1" I'm currently running, or just swap over to the steel ADF 2" lift spacer. But I may need a custom tophat spacer from ADF made to a particular height to level it out, it will depend on the resultant small amount of lift caused by the springs.

·
Registered
373 Posts
why would you two go with the king springs and tophat spacers, over the GC idea? not poking...just wondering. purely based on cost comparisons vs custom specs, etc.
The Koni/King combo has the potential to be a simple plug and play spring/strut combo that's easy on the wallet.

From what overs have told me, the price of the Koni/GC setup is quite a bit more (granted the number I got was for a fully assembled kit). At that point I'd rather buy Mann Engineering Coilovers with a proper spring setup similar to CruzinRain.

The biggest issue I have with anything WRX related is the lower spring perch and the high potential of rubbing. Can't believe no one has 11-14 specific WRX struts on the market.

·
Premium Member
12,194 Posts
The Koni/King combo has the potential to be a simple plug and play spring/strut combo that's easy on the wallet.

From what overs have told me, the price of the Koni/GC setup is quite a bit more (granted the number I got was for a fully assembled kit). At that point I'd rather buy Mann Engineering Coilovers with a proper spring setup similar to CruzinRain.
if it helps anyone, on price. i had only been asking as it seems the price on King springs, vs GC spring setup, is about same $440-450. plus the koni strut youre pairing it with. my setup was a little more, because i wanted to add to it some. but for a basic spring on strut combo..they run the same price. and anyone that can put a spring on a strut, can put the GC setup on a strut.

it would be nice if you could just buy a 2011-14 koni front, and we could be done with it already, hahah.

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
Just stumbled on this. These Cusco adjustable struts are plug and play for SH's? It's very tempting, but I don't want to drop a G and be disappointed! I know Primitive is geared towards off road, but I wonder how these would work with performance springs.

I'm seriously intrigued. Finally a plug and play strut for the SH. Rebound and compression adjust together Also works with Cuscos fancy econ box. You can adjust the struts from in the cabin.

http://www.cuscousainc.com/downloads/dl/file/id/217/2014_new_cusco_street_series_suspension_guide.pdf

This could be what I've been waiting for! I wonder about durability. One year warranty...

·
Registered
39 Posts

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Check out their online reviews. After 2 botched attempts to order them from Vivid, I got mine from Primitive. Install is underway now, I've done the fronts, rears to follow in the next few days. The adjustability feature is awesome.
Was the bracketed on the front struts correct for our brake lines and speed sensor wire? Does Primitive have that same price?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Was the bracketed on the front struts correct for our brake lines and speed sensor wire? Does Primitive have that same price?
Everything fit perfectly on the fronts. I chose to order all new ancillary
O.E. parts from Subaru, top hats, dust boots, etc. Primitive's price was substantially higher but worth it, great service, came through exactly as promised. We had to wait for manufacturing in Japan but they ordered extra and might have in stock now.
The struts are evidently manufactured for Cusco by KYB, KYB is stamped on the strut body.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts