Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2004 FXT
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone install one of these into the XT ? Everyone on Nasioc that has one say it helps with the brake feel a lot...

wondering what fellow FXT owners have to say...

·
'03 XS MT PSM
2015 Ford Focus ST
2,371 Posts
Can you post a link to where to get the brake brace?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I bought the Cusco one from Z1 Performance. Opps for got to say I did the STI Steel lines and aFront and rear Brembo set up with drilled rotors. But still feels better than my 04 STI ever did!

·
Registered
52 Posts
euroauto said:
I bought the Cusco one from Z1 Performance. Opps for got to say I did the STI Steel lines and aFront and rear Brembo set up with drilled rotors. But still feels better than my 04 STI ever did!
Is your FXT a LHD model? Was the Cusco brace easy to install?

·
'03 XS MT PSM
2015 Ford Focus ST
2,371 Posts
If you go to Z1's website they have a pic of it installed on what looks to be a LHD Suby.

and it's $90

www.z1auto.com

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yes the car is LHD Piece of cake to install four bolts into factory threaded holes, adjust as needed. You have to remove a washer hose bracket.

·
Registered
2011 Toyota Tacoma DCSB Auto
1,928 Posts
i rember those had them for the honda hm wonder if anyone that has machine skillz can make up some for a sweet price??

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT PP
24 Posts
Ok, so has anyone actually used one of these in their Forester by itself, without any other brake mods? The spongy brake feel in my FXT really is one of my biggest complaints but I'm not really interested in revamping the whole brake setup.

·
'03 XS MT PSM
2015 Ford Focus ST
2,371 Posts
Where [email protected] when you need him?!?

I'd be interested to try it but $80 + shipping is still a bit much. I'm wondering if the major benefit would come in a racing/auto-x scenario vs. daily driver. I HOPE the master cylinder isn't moving so much to cause the mushy pedal.

I'll try $20 worth of ATE Blue brake fluid first...

·
Registered
68 Posts
The mushy pedal is the the booster flexing just like every GM built pick-up or SUV. I wish someone would make one for my Suburban, the change in the Forester was night and day by adding the brace! I'm afraid no matter how much you spend on brake fluid it's not going to make the pedal feel any better. Do you think Subaru would leave air in the lines or calipers?

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT PP
24 Posts
Ok, forgive me if this is a stupid question, but the link to the Perrin brace points to an Impreza/STI part. Is this a direct bolt-in for the Forester as well?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm sure this will help quite a bit, the pedal will still pump up because of the floating calipers that come on the Forester. I had a 04 STI and did the steel lines and didn't do the brace so there was much difference with the pedal feedback.

The Cusco bracket/brace didn't show anything about the Forester on the package as I remember but did bolt right on.

·
Registered
2011 Toyota Tacoma DCSB Auto
1,928 Posts
this thing is more to reduce the flex of the sheetmetal of were the booster and MC are mounted then the actual feel of the brakes

·
Registered
52 Posts
BenMara said:
this thing is more to reduce the flex of the sheetmetal of were the booster and MC are mounted then the actual feel of the brakes
...which translates into exactly the same thing ;) If the MC is allowed to move when brake pressure it applied it will change the pedal feel.

What I want to know is whether or not the difference can be felt under normal street driving or if you need to be really hard on the brakes to feel the improvement.

·
Registered
2004 FXT
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm going to pick up the Perrin one, since I can't seem to find the Cusco one in Long ISland... I'm picking it up next Thurs... will let you know how it goes...

1 - 20 of 60 Posts