Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Forester XT-P
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Since purchasing my MY09 Forester i have NEVER had a good drive where i feel content with my driving position.

I have spent over $350 at auto upholstry places having the seat re-foamed, air lumbar supports installed etc, etc...

STILL after trying everything i find my lower back gets sore and I get knots in my back from the terrible seat in this car :(

Im 6"3 and think the problem may be that my legs are cramped up, so Today i put the seat all the way back. I felt the preassure ease in my Lower-back and finally i was content.... However i could barley reach the steering wheel properly with my seat so far back!

Im lucky enough to have an adjustable wheel as the car is an XT-P, but it doesnt come far enough forward for me, when the seat is all the way back :crazy:

My question is, does anyone know of a way to extend the steering wheel out? Is there something similar to a BOSS kit, which simply puts a spacer into the mix and helps bring the steering wheel forward?

I know its a bit of a weird question, but I love my car, but hate how un-comfortable it is to drive (Im a sales rep who does a LOT of driving)

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,732 Posts
Replace the seat. That's the root cause of the problem, so that's what I would focus on. Find a seat that you are happy with (either in another Subaru or aftermarket). Best way to go IMO.

·
Registered
2008 Forester XT-P
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Replace the seat. That's the root cause of the problem, so that's what I would focus on. Find a seat that you are happy with (either in another Subaru or aftermarket). Best way to go IMO.
I aggree, But it doesnt seem to be an easy tak in Australia...
I have rang wreckers, kept an eye open on ebay, tried local car part retailers (need an airbag in side to keep insurance happy)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Comes down the the amount of $$ your prepared to throw at it.

You could buy a STI seat from Japan parts and import it, else theres the Recaro option.

·
Registered
2010 Forester X 2.5 Auto
92 Posts
Hi ADZ,

I was going to ask you how the refoaming went. My problem is that my thighs aren't supported properly. The seat doesn't tilt back far enough and the seat cushion isn't long enough. I find that my weight is being pushed onto my ankles which is painful after a while.

Someone posted a photo of a drivers seat with the cushioning removed and I'm wondering if an extra metal plate with a thigh cushion could be made up to sit at the end (much like Recaros, Sparcos etc are).

I'm going to talk to two upholsterers this week to ask.

·
Registered
2008 Forester XT-P
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi mate

I thought the upholstry places would help, but im still not happy with the seat.
I have had new foam and that was terrible. Then i tried having the new foam removed and had an air lumbar support device fitted. This helped a little but still hurts my back.

I drove for about 2 hours in it yesterday and had the worst back by the end of the trip.

These cars just are NOT comfortable.

Im trading mine in (hopefully today) and get back into a sedan

·
Registered
2009 Forester
34 Posts
I don't know what you're all complaining about. I'm a big guy. Big. I'm six foot eight with a prolapsed disc in my lumbar spine, and have no problems with it being uncomfortable aside from the usual pain due to sitting (I have pain 24/7 anyway, and it hurts no matter whether i'm on a couch, chair, car seat etc etc).

·
Registered
my09 Forester XT
293 Posts
I am 6' 6" or 197cm and have absolutely no problem with comfort. I regularly drive 3 to 4 hour trips and get out feeling fresh and relaxed. I have the seat all the way back, the steering pulled out as far as possible and up as high as possible and its just fits nicely.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts