Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 2.0T AWD
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what are people's experience with Subaru's new remote start from your phone feature?
Available through the MySubaru app, and I believe for an annual fee.

I'm more curious if this feature is reliable.

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe
42 Posts
@JamesBond The app is garbage ( many steps to start car ), but it works. It's been reliable 99% of the time, although your mileage may vary depending on where you are (I believe it uses cell service, but I could be wrong).

·
Registered
2018 Forester Premium CVT
1 Posts
FWIW, I had the dealer install the Subaru Remote Start Kit for my 18 Forester Premium. $500 including installation. Great range, and it provides feedback that the engine started, and a blinking light while the engine runs. safety shutoff as soon as you open a door. Highly recommend.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@JamesBond The app is garbage ( many steps to start car ), but it works. It's been reliable 99% of the time, although your mileage may vary depending on where you are (I believe it uses cell service, but I could be wrong).
Yes, Subaru added AT&T cellular to the 2019 Forester.

Thanks!

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
FWIW, I had the dealer install the Subaru Remote Start Kit for my 18 Forester Premium. $500 including installation. Great range, and it provides feedback that the engine started, and a blinking light while the engine runs. safety shutoff as soon as you open a door. Highly recommend.
I'm asking about the new remote start on 2019's that use cellular, IE MySubaru's mobile app. The typical remote start doesn't fit my needs.

·
Premium Member
2015 Forester XT Touring
1,422 Posts
I use the same system in my Ascent around twice daily, and it works 99.9% of the time. It's great here in South Florida to get the car cooled down before I hit the road. I start it from my office, and by the time I get to the parking lot, the cabin is cool and the engine is warmed up enough for normal driving straight away. There are too many clicks to get it done, but once you're used to it, you don't really notice. The benefits outweigh the steps you need to take.

I used it once on a cold (for me) morning, and having the heated seat warmed up and the defroster blowing hot air was very nice as well. It's interesting that it'll start the heated seats, but NOT the ventilated seats.

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe
42 Posts
One thing I noticed is that you can “swipe left” right near the dots to the left of “remote services” and it will allow you to perform all remote actions directly and only enter a pin, without all of the extra steps.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
846 Posts
Any way to remote start the car without having the AC/Fan to turn on too?
As I understand the functionality, the air handler will operate in the exact same condition as it was in when the ignition was turned off. So, if the air handler was not operating when the car was turned off, it will not be on when the ignition is started, either via remote start or an attended start.

I don’t think the car cares if you’re starting it remotely or locally...

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
158 Posts
As I understand the functionality, the air handler will operate in the exact same condition as it was in when the ignition was turned off. So, if the air handler was not operating when the car was turned off, it will not be on when the ignition is started, either via remote start or an attended start.

I don’t think the car cares if you’re starting it remotely or locally...
I thought so too, but i leave with the AC/Fan off all the time but the remote start feature turns it on anyway. There is a Fan speed you can control but no off, it just cycles to low to high, weird....

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
846 Posts
I thought so too, but i leave with the AC/Fan off all the time but the remote start feature turns it on anyway. There is a Fan speed you can control but no off, it just cycles to low to high, weird....
Looks like your analysis is correct, from what I can see in the app setup.

However, I would swear that somewhere I read you had to leave the air handler “on” in the vehicle before shutting it off for it to run after a remote start.

Perhaps I read it in an inaccurate review, but I’m positive I read it somewhere. Or, maybe Subaru “enhanced” the app functionality after the article I read was written.

Or, maybe I was just plain wrong...wouldn’t be the first time...

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
158 Posts
Looks like your analysis is correct, from what I can see in the app setup.

However, I would swear that somewhere I read you had to leave the air handler “on” in the vehicle before shutting it off for it to run after a remote start.

Perhaps I read it in an inaccurate review, but I’m positive I read it somewhere. Or, maybe Subaru “enhanced” the app functionality after the article I read was written.

Or, maybe I was just plain wrong...wouldn’t be the first time...
I haven't tried the Automatic climate settings yet, the options for it are limited just with the temp setting and rear defroster you can control. I assume it will just turn it on and auto it to the desired temp.

·
Premium Member
2015 Forester XT Touring
1,422 Posts
One thing I noticed is that you can “swipe left” right near the dots to the left of “remote services” and it will allow you to perform all remote actions directly and only enter a pin, without all of the extra steps.
You sir, are amazing.

·
Registered
2019 Limited CVT
40 Posts
Two beefs I have with the app:

1) Stop signing me out if you're going to remember the username and password. This doesn't improve security at all, since all I have to do is tap "log on" to get back in. It's just adding an extra, useless step.

2) The seat heaters don't start warming up until you actually get in the car and press "start". Leaving the switch in the "on" position has no effect; your seats will be cold until several minutes after you get in the car.

Otherwise, it works great. It's reliable and aside from #1 above, MUCH better designed than other remote start apps I've used.

·
Registered
2019 Limited CVT
40 Posts
Does it give you wifi in the car?
Yes. The cost is $25 / month for unlimited data. It's handy, but in my area (eastern PA) AT&T's speeds are not great. I'm maxing out around 10 - 15 megabits. That's more than enough bandwidth for streaming audio, but if you're hauling two passengers who are streaming or surfing, it's going to choke the hotspot. I've found many spots where my T-Mobile smartphone works great, but the car's AT&T hotspot is dead. I'm keeping the plan, only because 99% of the time I'm using it for streaming, and it's cheaper than upping my and my wife's data plans.

Everyone's experience here will vary, since cellular coverage is different everywhere you go. Some folks may have excellent high-speed coverage. Some will have no coverage at all.

·
Registered
2014 Volt
23 Posts
I have the key fob functions through an app on my Chevy Volt, it came free for the first 5 years. Now Onstar wants over $400 a year as near as I can figure for what was rumored to be $12 four years ago. So, a remote start through an app may be inexpensive now, but may become prohibitively expensive in the future.

·
Registered
2019 Limited CVT
40 Posts
Onstar wants over $400
That's insane! IIRC Hyundai's cheapest package with remote start was around $150 / year. This is why I jumped at the chance to pay $350 for 7 years of Security Plus at the dealer. Apparently it's cheaper if you just renew when the price is up, but I consider $350 a steal.

As for future price increases, sure, that's a possibility. That's definitely a valid point to weigh when making your decision. If you plan to keep the car for more than 10 years AND you aren't interested in the other features that Starlink offers (collision notification, stolen vehicle recovery, alarm notifications, etc), the keyfob may be the cheapest option.

For my money, Starlink was the way to go hands down.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts