Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Well, comparing the general car owning population to the membership of a car forum is the true “apples to oranges” comparison example.

When I go to the doctor, I attempt to be a specific about why I’m there.

Not just “I have pain”, but more specific… “Mt right knee hurts only when I’m climbing steps, but I don’t feel much pain coming down steps. Things that might help the doctor zone in on resolving my issue.

·
admin
2019 3.6R & 98 Forester Atlanta, GA
7,240 Posts

We used to have optional user info fields that look like this. I've given up fighting VS to get them back.

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Premium
41 Posts
And that's all we need to know ;)

@jnichols2
Could you please complete your profile; vehicle details at least; thanks. For detail instructions pls refer: Your forum "Public Profile" - how to fill this...

Note that any threads / posts you create could be removed if your "Public Profile" is not completed!
:p
Honestly.. I don't even remember how to complete that if you'd asked me to do so. I tried to look at my avatar, "My Profile" and looked if I can edit.. Nada..
Now I see that link, that's helpful...

·
Registered
15 Toyota Avalon hybrid; 02 Honda Odyssey
48 Posts
This may get me banned, but here goes. I do not own a Subaru, but I have three dear friends (all women) who have Foresters. Being a "car guy", I get questions from them and try to provide useful info. And I have an interest in cars as well, even ones I don't own.

I could "translate" the instructions and list the vehicles I "support" but down own/lease, but then I'd still have to indicate what car I'm talking about in any given post. Which I already do.

Oh, and as to why some people don't bother providing YMM info? For some, it's too much like work. They expect an instant answer before they've even typed the question. I see it on other boards too. Not all, but definitely some of the "once and done" posters.

·
Registered
2016 and 2020 Foresters
1,502 Posts
For some, it's too much like work. They expect an instant answer before they've even typed the question.
They expect to be spoon fed. Which is also why nobody bothers to search, so the same questions get posted over and over and over.

I'm pretty sure 2/3rds of this forum is made up of oil, tire, and turbocharging the N/A threads.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Seriously? Questions about my Avalon hybrid or ancient Odyssey are considered in good form here? I would not have expected that.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Who knew? I never scrolled through the list of available forums. Anyway, profile completed.

And now I have a place to get troubleshooting help with my vintage riding mower!

But what about my other friend's Tesla? It doesn't meet the requirements.

·
Registered
2021 Forester Premium, ice silver metallic
7 Posts
Actually, I think it's the friendly? attitude of folks on this forum.
I know you think you're being friendly, but a lot of the advice I see comes out more like the stern school master chiding the stupid children.

I tried to enter my vehicle info twice, but it didn't seem to take.
However; I did figure out how to put it in my signature, for all to see.
The administrator's admonition was at least a bit snarky.

Since I started following this forum, I've seen at least 7-8 folks just drop out rather than continue to take it.
You seem to have all the needed information, just find a softer way to deliver it.
I had the same problem trying to enter my information. I would enter it, but then be asked to link to some other information. Moving on from there, I would think I was done, until I got the scolding. After a couple of tries I skipped the idea of linking on and that got it done. It probably is just me but navigating the site is only a little more intuitive than the option controls on my Forester.

·
Registered
2020 Forester Sport
50 Posts
I had the same problem trying to enter my information. I would enter it, but then be asked to link to some other information. Moving on from there, I would think I was done, until I got the scolding. After a couple of tries I skipped the idea of linking on and that got it done. It probably is just me but navigating the site is only a little more intuitive than the option controls on my Forester.
Actually, it reminds me of the old MS-DOS manuals, even engineers complained about those. 😁

·
Registered
48 Posts
Reminds me of Facebook, where everything is counterintuitive and requires multiple steps, so as to maximize the amount of time you waste there looking at the ads.

No longer a member of FB.

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Forester
1,304 Posts
Quite frankly I would prefer the moderators just sent a private message encouraging the new member to complete their profile, but I don't care if the new member does or not as I don't read them. And, I get a little tired of seeing the same message being repeated over and over.
If more info is needed to answer a question, it's very easy to ask a question in return. 95% of the time near as I can tell the info about the vehicle is included in the initial post or query. I appreciate the work of the moderators but I think sometimes they moderate too much.

·
Administrator
16,900 Posts
I get a little tired of seeing the same message being repeated over and over.
So how do you think we feel about having to post these messages when this information should be mandatory at registration but that is a fight we lost with the site owners a long time ago; and FYI staff still see those messages even after deletion! ;) We have found that visibility works best when asking for this info rather than behind the scenes.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Limited CVT
1,319 Posts
What’s more annoying,? Putting up your vehicle information or asking members to look up and upload documents and information? Members here go out of their way to help, so it’s not asking a lot to provide vehicle information so you can get said help. Like others, if your vehicle information is not posted, we move on.

·
Registered
2016 and 2020 Foresters
1,502 Posts
Yup. It's a pretty reasonable ask.

I'd also like to formally request a "search n00b" banner be plastered everywhere, lol.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts