Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Forester Limited
97 Posts
My question would be , if you went this far to seek advice from owners on a specific vehicle brand or model, why wouldn’t you list what you have to narrow down the process of what you set out to do? Maybe ive been working to long on my own vehicle maintenance, but meet me half way here people!!! Is that really too much to ask? You can always message to moderators to have your profile removed. Ok, my rant is done. Or is it????? Probably not.o_O

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Forester
1,304 Posts
My take is a good number of new posters have come to the forum for a specific question or concern they are currently anxious about. Personally, I would let them ask their questions without needing to fill out a profile. Most provide the year and model info in their question. I think some see it as a bureaucratic slap in the face rather than a welcoming community, and it can turn them off on first blush. That said I am also aware there is a class of poster who just wants to use the forum to post spam and will abuse easy posting guidelines for newcomers.

·
Registered
2012 Forester 4 speed auto
1,108 Posts
I think the reluctance to post more information is because the poster doesn't have a Subaru! The problem is a generic question that the poster believes can apply to his or her problem.

·
Registered
2020 Forester Limtied
7 Posts
Hey administrators - why isn't completing the Public Profile required when someone signs up for this forum? Seems it would lighten the administrator's load and stop those redundant please-complete-you-public-profile messages.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,538 Posts
Reactions: SuperRu

·
Administrator
2016 & 2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,341 Posts
That's how it used to be.

July 23, 2019 was more than just a change of the forum's platform from VBulletin to XenForo. It was a 180 in the forum owners' attitude toward the volunteer staff and our ability to configure the forum experience. A day that will live in infamy.

·
admin
2019 3.6R & 98 Forester Atlanta, GA
7,240 Posts
I'm so disgusted with the new owners and their attitude towards us, I've stopped actively participating in the forum we founded.

·
Registered
6 subies in, current '02 jdm XT SG Forester
290 Posts
One of the issues local to me was a loop hole in our vehicle registration system. Up until recently if you had a vehicle registration number you could take that into a local post shop, pay like $20 and you could get the owners name, address etc etc. It was being used to steal cars to order. That loop hole has been closed, but people are still really hesitant to share any information

·
Registered
2018 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
3,050 Posts
And I still laugh at license plates being covered in pictures when thousands of people see them everyday when you are on the road.....

I too have noticed a bit of the same as far as profile info and disappearing after the original post. But also see it on other forums too. They could be running around like crazy with a million things to do, seems to be my problem these days!
This one I get. I don't disclose that kind of info publicly, but I'm a private person when it comes to stuff like that. But the main question baffles me as well.

·
admin
2019 3.6R & 98 Forester Atlanta, GA
7,240 Posts
If you were to see the backroom BS it would make you sad like me.

·
Registered
2016 and 2020 Foresters
1,502 Posts
If you were to see the backroom BS it would make you sad like me.
I believe it. Many forums I've been on over the years have been acquired by conglomerates like VS and Internet Brands and have gone to s**t afterwards.

Once vibrant communities turned into shells. Part is due to people flocking to Farcebook, of course. But the flavor of the forum changes once the faceless company takes over and floods it with ads and directives.

Sorry that's happening here.

·
Registered
'14 Forester XT Touring
664 Posts
Its a simple and basic requirement.
My ability to read minds is not that great. Its a hit or miss for me. LOL

I'm just waiting for some to say they need spark plug cables for my Forester. Yeah.... try to decipher that one.

·
Registered
2020 Sepia Bronze Premium
15 Posts
I would think most people know the trim level of their vehicle…. enthusiast or not.
I'm a 911 dispatcher. The amount of people who have no clue what year, make or model of the car they drive would astound you. I get not knowing what your license plate is, but when you've owned and driven the car for three years can't tell me anything other than it's blue and has 4 doors? ~sigh~

·
Registered
2016 and 2020 Foresters
1,502 Posts
The amount of people who have no clue what year, make or model of the car they drive would astound you.
I dunno. There are a LOT of oblivious people out there. Wouldn't surprise me that much, lol.

·
Registered
2020 Forester Sport
50 Posts
Actually, I think it's the friendly? attitude of folks on this forum.
I know you think you're being friendly, but a lot of the advice I see comes out more like the stern school master chiding the stupid children.

I tried to enter my vehicle info twice, but it didn't seem to take.
However; I did figure out how to put it in my signature, for all to see.
The administrator's admonition was at least a bit snarky.

Since I started following this forum, I've seen at least 7-8 folks just drop out rather than continue to take it.
You seem to have all the needed information, just find a softer way to deliver it.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts