Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Something I’ve noticed on car forums in general…

Seems that I notice an occasional poster asking for information on a particular problem/issue, but not providing any vehicle details (Year, trim level, transmission… ). In most cases, when the Moderators ask them to complete their model info, they comply, but it’s not rare for the original poster to simply disappear.

Now, I get that some folks start discussions because they have an axe to grind and are looking for sympathy, but in many cases they genuinely appear to want assistance. Personally, I like the way threads are closed for comment if the OP refuses to comply, but I am curious about the thought process the non-compliant posters are operating under.

it’s not as if they’re being asked. to post their name, address, SSN and bank account info…

So… If I have a 2019 Forester Touring, it’s one of about 150,000 vehicles in the US… it doesn’t make sense for someone to be thinking they can somehow be traced…you can’t get much more anonymous than that…

Just seems a bit odd to me…

·
Registered
2001 Forester L Automatic
349 Posts
And I still laugh at license plates being covered in pictures when thousands of people see them everyday when you are on the road.....

I too have noticed a bit of the same as far as profile info and disappearing after the original post. But also see it on other forums too. They could be running around like crazy with a million things to do, seems to be my problem these days!

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
2,529 Posts
In some cases, I don't know if it is that they don't WANT to provide the details, but in some cases it's just that they're not thinking about the need to know some information.

With the Forester (especially the current SK generation) there is limited variance between the trim levels when it comes to the mechanical equipment. Yes, with higher prices, you get more items that can break or not work as somebody thinks they should work or they just don't understand. But the basic driveline is similar across the entire range (at least here in North America). So beyond a basic (I've got a 2020 Forester and this problem...) request, there may be some information that is just not needed.

With some of the older generations (SG, SH, SJ, whatever) there are some mechanical variances between some of the trim levels (non-turbo vs XT turbo). With these older generations, it becomes a bit more important to know - even if just a turbo vs non-turbo...

In some cases, they may either be (as mentioned) just wanting to rant or to come in and cause dissention in the ranks or just rant.

In some cases, they may not want to be "told what to do" and don't get why the forum wants a profile - maybe to protect against dozens of bad members that are hackers, scammers or otherwise trying to find some information about the real members....

In the end, people are just people and will do as they will...

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,517 Posts
I believe on the old VBulletin site, the profile information was a requirement when signing up on this forum. That changed on this new XenForo site, mostly due to international privacy laws & the forum owners wanting to make it easier... less complicated for new members to join. Numbers matter...

As to why member refusing to complete their "Public Profile" information?
Some are here just to "rant" & don't even own a Subaru! There have been some drawn out private discussions with members, trying to get them to comply. :eek:

All we want to see is your vehicle information, country location is always helpful. Everything else is optional.

Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

·
Registered
2020 CBS Forester Sport
102 Posts
There's a lot of "fake" owners on here that I think just want to hurt the brand. Who remembers the Kia dude a few months back? That guy was blatant AF.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
2,529 Posts
Yeah, it is pretty sad when "competitors" come in to trash the brand and model.... I remember the the Kia guy, too.. Wasn't he pushing the Sorrento (which has now been totally revamped and moved up in size) against the Forester?

Eh, if I was selling some brand, I'd have much better things to do with my time than going to some brand or model specific forum and trying to bash the competition...

·
Registered
2020 CBS Forester Sport
102 Posts
If they post that crap and have other accounts pile on then they can show it to people on the lot and be like "see you don't want a Subaru, look at this thread about how a Kia is way better!"

That's my best guess for the practice anyway, otherwise it's completely pathetic.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, it is pretty sad when "competitors" come in to trash the brand and model.... I remember the the Kia guy, too.. Wasn't he pushing the Sorrento (which has now been totally revamped and moved up in size) against the Forester?

Eh, if I was selling some brand, I'd have much better things to do with my time than going to some brand or model specific forum and trying to bash the competition...
I believe it was the Kia Stinger, wasn’t it?

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
2,529 Posts
Kia Stinger is a car - a sporty sedan like beast, possibly a 5 door - closest (former) Subaru would have been the Legacy GT... I think it's Kia's attempt to be able to offer a competitor to some of the BMW "GT" models - a 4 door silhouette with a rear liftgate touch.

·
Registered
2005 2.5X 4EAT 2017 2.5i Prem CVT
89 Posts
A Kia troll? Seriously?

Back before SOA's ad agency Carmichael Lynch turned the dogs loose, there was the 2011 Mediocrity. Of course it was built out of an Optima......

·
Administrator
16,882 Posts
Since the transition to the current platform it has become a real PIA chasing up members to add vehicle details when it should be mandatory. Also painful that often our members who are very willing to provide assistance have to scan a post to determine the vehicle model being referenced. I know that I can simply scan a members info in the left hand column and determine if I can provide any help for a particular model, if not I move on.
Perhaps our regular members just stop responding to any post where the vehicle info is missing.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Perhaps our regular members just stop responding to any post where the vehicle info is missing.
That is now going to be my policy going forward. It’s all but impossible to provide useful assistance to someone who acts like they have something to hide and refuses to give background information…

·
Registered
2020 Forester Sport
50 Posts
Let's remember; many car owners just aren't very aware of the many details about their car.
When we ask, they may not be sure of where to find it, or why the heck we are asking.

I bet 80% of car owners fall into that category to one extent or another.
Not all are techies or enthusiasts.

Please don't ask my wife anything more in-depth than 2020 Subaru Forester. And it's her car. 🥰

·
Administrator
16,882 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
jnichols2
I would think most people know the trim level of their vehicle…. enthusiast or not. If someone is asking about the behavior of their engine or transmission, in the case of a 2019+ Forester, it doesn’t matter.

OTOH, if one is asking about the infotainment system options or how to program or update it, it very much is a requirement to know trim level.

·
Registered
2017 Foz 2.5i CVT
2,120 Posts
My wife would probably not remember her '17 Foz is a Premium. She would know it's not a turbo if she was asked that question.

I think some people just don't want to "commit" to yet another website of any sort. It's like we're all gushing out pieces of our personal data everywhere and some people just get annoyed by it. I have visited car sites in the past and chosen not to join (like researching other cars/brands), but I didn't do any posting. Some people may not want to take the time. Or they think they'll get more junk mail, etc.

·
Administrator
16,882 Posts
The wife of a friend of mine got a new car recently so I asked her what she got "a white one" was the answer! She really did not know what brand or model. :D

However, I would expect that anyone who registers here would at least know the brand, model and at least approx year.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts