Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester X
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in Crested Butte for a week and have managed to find some fun roads for the Foz. The road to Crystal Mill was rough, but manageable. I definitely saw some heads turn as I drove past. If you're ever near Marble, be sure to check out the mill. It is one of the most photographed Colorado landmarks for a reason (and a fun drive). Stock Foresters may find it a challenge, but it is doable.

Shot a couple pictures on the way down...

We took Kebler Pass back over to Crested Butte. It is a gorgeous area, and I'm going to have to make a trip back this fall.

Yesterday we were wanting to do some fly fishing, so I pulled out the map and plotted a route from Crested Butte up Cement Creek Road over Italian Creek Road to Taylor Reservoir and the Taylor River with an easy loop back around to Crested Butte. I found some promising reports online (but somehow neglected to check TrailDamage...oops) that gave hope for a fun day. Italian Creek gets a 3 on TrailDamage, a rating that I would say is very well deserved. I would add that 10 miles of the trail are sustained '3', making for an exciting trip. I pushed Lenore to the limit, and was thoroughly impressed as I tackled loose, wet, rocky climbs, crawled over roots and rocks, and was faced with the slickest mud I've ever seen. I only got a couple pictures of the earliest nasty stuff...I was too focused to get any more as the trail worsened.

Glad to finally make it to the top, and the first smooth ground in miles.

The road finally smoothed out enough for me to relax and shoot some photos on the way down.

Stopped for lunch at the bottom. The rain never really let up, and certainly made the trail more of a challenge for the Foz. Up to this point, I hadn't seen anything other than ATVs and dirt bikes on the trail.

Rally Armor flaps definitely got broken in. Fairly certain that had I started the day with stock flaps, they'd still be up there somewhere.

I made it over, Lenore appears to be unscathed, and the scenery (what we could see of it) was gorgeous. That said, I don't think I'll be going back over Italian Creek Road again (and can't recommend anyone else attempt it in a Foz). I hadn't quite planned on the epic adventure I got (entirely my fault for lack of research :chair:) but was thankful for the 3/16" of aluminum bolted to the undercarriage. Primitive, Rally Armor, and Geolandar A-T/S FTW! OH...and this was the first trip without a rear swaybar. HUGE difference! Now for the front one...

CO PEEPS NOTE: I found this website with trail conditions for Colorado. Looks to be regularly updated.

·
Registered
2007 Outback 2.5i
486 Posts
Great Pictures!!! :rock: Very jealous (my wife had enough from last year, she's very resistant when I bring up new trips :icon_cry:). Cool stuff. What are you doing this Sunday? Wanna come do Kingston Peak with FR4x4 and us?

Btw, talk to Smash before disconnecting the fronts. It might not be a good idea for a DD. Rear bar delete is barely noticeable on the hwy, but the front could be a PITA.

Edit: Looks like there's a talk about it already, so nevermind ;)

·
Registered
2005 Forester X
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What are you doing this Sunday? Wanna come do Kingston Peak with FR4x4 and us?
Don't think I can make it this time...I'll won't be back from CB for another few hours.

I need to figure out how hard the front sway bar is to remove. I doubt it'll be coming off unless it can be done in <5 minutes or I can rig a quick disconnect.

·
Registered
2007 Outback 2.5i
486 Posts
Don't think I can make it this time...I'll won't be back from CB for another few hours.
Well, don't worry about it. The wife said no, and quite frankly, I'm getting tired of trying to convince her all the time. I'm not sure there will be any more off-roading excursions in her OBW... :mob:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts