Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Forester 2.5X Mt
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Just did a quick nighttime oil change. I realized after all done that I didn't put a crush washer on the drain bolt. It's not leaking but I haven't driven it much yet. Should I be concerned about anything? Like the drain plug loosening over time or leaking? Didn't have time or want to redrain the new oil and add the washer yet. I will keep an eye on it before the next change.
Thanks

Ken

·
Registered
2002 Outback H6 4EAT
1,062 Posts
Should be fine.

I'm missing the crush washer for the front diff (bloody thing rusted apart when I took it off) and the area looks a little wet, but no drips or signs of fluid loss on the dipstick.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 Forester XT
15,021 Posts
So you con't have ANY washer on there? It should be OK although it may drip. Check it to see if it is dripping (mainly when hotr).

If you just didn't replace it with a NEW one don't worry about it. They can literally re reused dozens of times..although its not recommended.

·
Registered
2013 Forester Automatic
408 Posts
If you just didn't replace it with a NEW one don't worry about it. They can literally re reused dozens of times..although its not recommended.
I like to find a copper washer to use. Just heat it up until it turns red, then, let it cool before installing it. It will last the life of the car if a tiny bit of care is used (correct torque on installation, etc.).

·
Registered
2012 Forester 2.5X Mt
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses. Drove a bunch this morning and checked it a few times.....no leaks. I think I will just keep an eye on it and next oil change add a washer back. Yes there isn't any washer on it now. After I was all done and draining the old oil back into a container to recycle the washer fell out of the drain pan. I had an oh sugar moment since the new oil was already in the car

Ken

·
Registered
2013 Forester 5-spd manual
10 Posts
While this topic is up, i'm looking to purchase a bunch of these crush washers to have on hand when I change the oil. Is there an online parts store that you guys know that stocks these?

Thanks!

·
Registered
05 Forester XT 5 Speed
535 Posts
While this topic is up, i'm looking to purchase a bunch of these crush washers to have on hand when I change the oil. Is there an online parts store that you guys know that stocks these?

Thanks!
Contact Jackie from Annapolis Subaru, a supporting vendor on this forum

·
Registered
2015 Impreza 5-Door Sport Auto (CVT)
2,351 Posts

Thanks!
You far away from a dealer?

I get two at a time along with two filters.

Why would you want a "bunch" of these? You changing oil in multiple Subbies?

Dealer charges here in Jersey $1.20 each.

Not worth chancing using the old one over and over again, not for $1.20.

You start leaking oil because of $1.20 crush washer you going to have more problems that will cost you more in the long run.

Subaru says to change it at every oil change, change it. Geez how cheap can you get not to have peace of mind for $1.20.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Premium 6 Speed Manual
187 Posts
You far away from a dealer?

I get two at a time along with two filters.

Why would you want a "bunch" of these? You changing oil in multiple Subbies?

Dealer charges here in Jersey $1.20 each.

Not worth chancing using the old one over and over again, not for $1.20.

You start leaking oil because of $1.20 you going to have more problems that will cost you more in the long run.

Subaru says to change it at every oil change, change it. Geez how cheap can you get not to have peace of mind for $1.20.
I dont think its being cheap its just what people are used to doing. When I did my first oil change on my motorcycle I bought the crush washer, went to do the oil change and the crush washer was stuck to the drain bolt so bad I needed to use a flat head to get it off. Next oil change i forgot the washer so left the other one, never leaked a dropped. Bunch of oil changes later and the same washer it still has never leaked. I spoke to people that work at shops and most dont bother to change it either. I bought one for my first oil change im going to do on my forester in a few days just because, but if the washer is stuck on the bolt ill probably just leave it.

·
Registered
2011 Forester 2.5X Lim. Automatic
130 Posts
I just order 6 filters and washers at a time and always have some on hand. It's cheap so I replace it every time.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i 6 spd
433 Posts
A copper washer on the drain plug was standard for many decades. Then some bright soul decided to improve the bottom line by developing crush washers. Granted, it's probably a better seal, but you could always replace a copper washer that starts dripping.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
You don't need a torque wrench to tighten the drain plug, bolt whatever you wanna call it. When you put on a new crush washer you will know when it's tight enough.

You tighten with medium force until you can't tighten the bolt anymore using a standard ratchet or box wrench.

That's it you're done. Never force it beyond the point where it will not tighten anymore.

Once the crush washer "crushes" I have found the bolt will not tighten hardly at all.

If you over tighten the bolt and strip the threads you will start leaking oil and have to get an adapter that will rethread the oil pan. Or get a new oil pan installed.

Like I said, you will know when the bolt is tight enough.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 Forester XT
15,021 Posts
You don't need a torque wrench to tighten the drain plug, bolt whatever you wanna call it. When you put on a new crush washer you will know when it's tight enough.
Like I said, you will know when the bolt is tight enough.
I'll have to respectfully disagree I have been wrenching for 55 years. I use torque wrenches on drain plugs and spark plugs (on vehicles). They prevent you from over-tightening and yet give you confidence that you have the right torque. I have found over the years that any drain plug on any vehicle will be more than tight enough on 22 to 25 ft lbs
. The torque on my 08 is 36 ft lbs I believe. I never go there.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
I'll have to respectfully disagree I have been wrenching for 55 years. I use torque wrenches on drain plugs and spark plugs (on vehicles). They prevent you from over-tightening and yet give you confidence that you have the right torque. I have found over the years that any drain plug on any vehicle will be more than tight enough on 22 to 25 ft lbs
. The torque on my 08 is 36 ft lbs I believe. I never go there.
I have been changing oil in vehicles for about the same amount of time. Never ever did I have to use a torque wrench on an oil pan drain bolt. Never had a leak.

The problem is some people like to overtighten bolts. This is worse than not tightening the bolt enough.

I guess from my many years of experience doing my own oil changes I just know when the bolt is tight enough and not to over tighten it.

With the crush washer that is used on the Forester, you can feel when washer is being crushed as you tighten it, once it is crushed and you can't really tighten the bolt anymore, that is it, leave it alone, it is tight enough.

In order to get a leak from the oil pan by the drain bolt, you really, really have to have the bolt loose, like hand tightening it only.

If you feel comfortable using a torque wrench, go for it. I feel extremely comfortable not using a torque wrench for tightening a drain plug.

For others, once you change your own oil and put the drain plug back in, you will feel as you tighten it when the plug is tight enough. It's not rocket science people.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts