Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Cruise light blinking, CEL steady, code P0000

41K views 65 replies 30 participants last post by  wtdash 
#1 ·
Driving along with the cruise on and then the cruise just cut-off. The green cruise light blinks and the yellow CEL remains steady. No other issues noted with the car. I have a ScanGauge II hooked all the time, it showed a code of P0000, which isn't even a real code. Cleared the code while driving, the cruise was again working fine. It's now happened again, so I'm not sure why it's throwing this P0000 code. Any thoughts?

MY06 Forester X

#2 ·
Generally a P0000 means no obd code found, AKA there is nothing wrong with the car.

When no trouble codes are triggered the ECU will respond with the P0000, but it should not show up in the code reader, as not to confuse someone when the codes are read and leave them wondering why am I getting this code & what does it mean.

It has also been known to pop up in scanners due to a glitch in their software. Not to long ago scangauge was telling people who seen this code to update to the 3.17(?) firmware

#3 ·
I haven't upgraded my Scan Gauge yet, I believe it's on 3.15 or 3.16 though. The manual says this blinking cruise light and CEL can be caused by accidental contact with the cruise switch while starting the car. But that's not the case here, other than I'm not really sure what the cause could be.

#4 ·
Linear Logic offered to upgrade my Scangauge and ship it back to Australia with no additional cost.

Once in a while the car still throws the P0000 code and the cruise control light flashes (without the scangauge plugged in). I proceed to reset it with the scangauge, then unplug it again. I still don't know what the P0000 means, and why it's happening, other than this the cruise control works fine. Sometimes it'll do it when the cruise control is even on (main switch), other times it'll do it when the cruise main switch is on and the cruise is activated. I see no pattern, I cannot duplicate the issues, it's as random as they come.

There are no other issues, the code seems to not even be a real code. Going to have to take it to Suby I imagine.

#5 ·
Newbie first post, I have the same symptom on new-to-us MY06 Forester 2.5 auto, trying to clear it by battery disconnect. Wife bought it from her parents, after a 5hr highway drive with cruise, flashing error when hit traffic/roadworks.

Apparently it's come on before and been cleared at dealer with no other action taken.

I'll keenly watch how you go. I've read lots of other emissions related codes/scenarios from this indication, but I won't be throwing $$$ at it until get used to how it runs and any other problem, other than the indicator and losing cruise.

#6 ·
I still have no idea what the cause is. It happens intermittently whether the cruise main switch is ON/OFF. Still throws code P0000. I have a ScanGauge so I can just clear it on the fly and it's all good again...until the next time any way. Dealer in Australia wants $63 just to read the code, I know it says P0000, and since they won't be able to say more I'll just wait and see what happens.

#7 ·
I have a neighbor with an 05 AT 2.5X that is having the same problem. The check-engine-light comes on every few weeks. When we read the code with a ScanGauge, it comes back with P0000. This has been going on for 3-4 months.

The ScanGuage isn't causing the problem. it is not hooked up when the code is thrown.

Has anyone come up with a solution or explanation for this?

#8 ·
I've not found any information as of yet, not even Subaru shops can explain it which concerns me. At least having a ScanGauge allows me to clear the code immediately. This would be hugely annoying if someone had to find someone or a shop to clear the code every time it occurred. If anyone finds out the cause please post up!

#11 ·
Same here guys, I drive an 06 xt AT and I just got this same symptom on the way to jersey, cleared it and kept going no prob, my father has a way better obd 2 scanner so I'll use that and report back with results, on a side note, a year ago I didn't have the scanguage but I did get this error, blinking cruise with constant check engine, I used my dads scanner, it said I had a valve stuck open, I drove it over to Subaru and they said the same, so I'll be sure to report back with any good finds, good luck everyone and safe driving!

#51 ·
Hello, I was wondering whether IrishGuy or anyone else has since figured out what this problem is. I too drive a 2006 XT AT, and for the past couple weeks occasionally for no reasons get these symptoms, and car still runs fine. Also runs fine after I clear the code (with ScaGauge).
All information/updates gratefully received!! Thanks!

#13 ·
same as others

I have the exact same issue as 'notthrilled'. I'm scheduled to take mine to the dealer this Friday (Aug 13th). When I asked the service desk what it could be, he stated that the 2010 Foresters are extremely sensitive and it could be the slightest thing...from the gas cap not being on properly to an actual issue. When I asked why all three lights are occurring (blinking cruise light, steady on check engine and steady on 'vehicle dynamics control OFF' indicator)...he stated that it revolves around the 'check engine'. Once check engine lights up, it disables the 'cruise'..hence blinking cruise...and disables the VDC. :confused: I have not felt any disturbances within the engine...still performs. Once I hear back on Friday (or Saturday if they hold on to it), I'll post a follow up. Notthrilled, let me know as well if you discover anything in the meantime.

#14 ·
I just got the same code on our '05 XS 4EAT yesterday. Didn't have the SGII in the car, so had to drive three hours home without cruise control, using the annoyingly springy-stiff drive by wire gas pedal. :|

#19 ·
I know this is an old post but next time this happens to anyone, simply disconnecting the negative battery terminal for a few minutes will clear all the codes too.

Just drop a 10mm wrench (at least that is what I needed) in the glovebox and when the code hits, pull over, shut everything down, disconnect the battery for a minute or two, reconnect the battery, and away you go. The code is cleared, and your Cruise Control is restored.

My issue stemmed from an occasional overboost and resulting fuel cut until I dropped the VF43 in there.

#15 ·
same as others

My lights disappeared and everything went back to normal about 4 days later and 150 miles or so. Still took it into the dealer. They ran their checks and said that the gas cap was not orginally secure. The lights went off and back to normal because after I filled the tank, I secured the cap properly...which led to the computer resetting itself after about 30-50 miles. So now when I refuel, I make certain that I properly slide the cap on perfectly, push it in slightly and turn away. I have not had any other issues since (no lights). Not sure if it was BS or not, but they did state that they made the newer Foresters overly sensative. For now I'll buy the reason.

#16 ·
04 Eat here and it did it to me while bombing up a hill out of a tunnel in traffic last Saturday. I set the cruise and like ten seconds later it wend off and started flashing and the cel came on.

I did just install a catless uppipe and neglected to get a resistor for the egt so we'll see.

Could not figure out how to pull codes. On My Nissan I just turn a flathead screwdriver in a kind of adjustable slot in the side of the ecu and it flashes out a code out on the cel on the dash. Do I have to go to Autozone or somewhere to check?

I reset the ecu by disconnecting the battery and I pumped the brake a few times. So far its fine. No new cel. Managed to stop by radioshack to install a 2.2k ohm resistor in the egt harness plug.

#18 ·
Yet another case of Mystery CEL/VD/CCL

Another case for the history books

1 year old 2010 MT and this happened to me yesterday.
  1. 59F, clear and sunny with some wind.
  2. Had parked for a few minutes to offload cabbage from the trailer.
  3. When I got going again I noticed the CEL on steady, VD on steady and Cruise blinking.
No other untoward things going on, although I seemed to smell hot brake from time to time all the way home. Checked the wheels and no unusual heating of the brakes. I drive like a grandma anyway. So I went to deliver another load of cabbage and knew that would take me close to the dealer. The idea was to stop into the service bay and see what they might do. However, after delivering the last load the CEL and VD went out by themselves. Brake pedal feels a bit harder. (See brake discussions. I have a really soft pedal the dealer says is nothing)

:icon_idea:My only thought was that a piece of swarf might have gotten into the wheel rotation sensors since: a) I was driving in a field to pick up the cabbage, b) Lots of leaves blowing around, one could have somehow gotten jammed somewhere in the wheel.

#22 ·
Check the vacuum line going into the front of the air box... I had a 2006 Impreza and I think the cruise is controlled through this some how. I had disconnected it, and when I started the car the cruise light started to flash... long story short... I reconnected and reset the battery...problem solved... might just be a vacuum hose loose, disconnected or cracked.

#23 ·
We have same problem (Cruise flashing, CEL solid) with 2005 2.5X SE - local shop said codes indicated both front and rear O2 sensors bad and advised that since this was unlikely could be something like water in a connector .... we have had very heavy rain for several days.

Checked the gas cap and tried disconnecting battery. Will wait for a few days and see.

#24 ·
Currently have the same issue although I have no idea what code it represents.

This happened 3-4 months ago and we were told it was the gas cap.
Happened again on Friday night - called the dealer and they said it was okay to drive so long as the Check Engine wasn't flashing. We have an appointment on Saturday to get this checked out.

#27 ·
Had our appointment yesterday morning and they reported code P0456 - Evap control system leak (very small).

Resecured the fuel cap, ran a diagnostic scan test that passed and cleared the code.

I find this strange because we've put gas in early this past week and tightened the cap just in case, knowing this was the cause before of the warning lights.

#28 ·
Not saying you did this because I don't know but this can happen when fueling while leaving the car running. Most people don't realize this can happen. You open the fuel cap and you instantly breach the evap control system. The light may or may not appear. :shrug:

#31 ·
Thanks for posting your results Coach. Did the CEL clear once the diagnostic was completed?
We have filled up with gas since first having this problem but still have the CEL / flashing cruise ... I read in another post it can take 2 or 3 fill-ups to clear ..?

#33 ·
OBD trouble codes in the Haynes manual show a seperate code P0457 for an EVAP leak / loose filler cap ... this is different than the P0456 code (EVAP / very small leak) that Coach reported.

Still having the problem here so will have codes re-checked later today and report back.

#34 ·
Battery disconnected to clear memory prior to checking - codes found were 0031 (upstream oxygen sensor) and 0037 (downstream oxygen sensor) ie same as before.

Mechanic suggested changing the spark plugs may help ..? Car has done approx 70k km

Any other thoughts?

#36 ·
Driving from LA to Chicago and 3 hours into our first day this happened again - CEL solid and flashing cruise.

Called a dealer on the route to see if we could get in but they said they would be closed. This is the second dealer to tell me if the CEL is solid and the Cruise is flashing then there is nothing to worry about.

Would like to get it cleared so I could use the cruise for the next 1,800 miles :)

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.