Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Forester S Auto
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have read some of the posts and have not been able to identify my issue. The horn works, no Airbag warning, reverse lights work (fuse shared with cruise), and the Cruise Button light comes on. I am tending to think its not inside the steering colomn. Any suggestions would be great.

Many Thanks

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,458 Posts
It's possible that your neutral safety switch needs replacement.

·
Registered
2001 Forester S Auto
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Pleaid7, first I have heard of this, very much appreciate the quick reponse. I will check into this.

·
Registered
2001 Forester
1 Posts
Had a similar worry that worked itself out - I realized I needed to Activate the cruise control by pushing the cruise control button to the right of the defroster.

·
Registered
2001 Forester Automatic
138 Posts
Does an 01 hace a vacuum line controlling cruise? Mine stopped working although it did engage for a very short time today. Car's actually my wife's so I don't use it much and AFIK she never use cruise. Lots of recent work, new exhaust, cat back, new rear O2 sensor, Idle air valve cleaned, throttle body cleaned, TPS monkeyed with. Car's 90% OK. Cruise is shot and I get a shudder/shake/sometimes stall at the first stop light of the day. Feels like the A/T lock up not releasing but since I'm under acceleration, uphill, all still cold I wouldn't think lock-up would have been triggered yet.

·
Registered
2003 Forester XS 4eat
200 Posts
Hate to resurrect such an old thread, but... the cruise control on 03' XS stopped working.

Backup lights work, so I am told this eliminates a fuse issue. I do not see a vacuum line to cruise control unit, only a electric connection. I am told other potential causes are a brake switch, neutral safety switch, or bad cruise control lever?

Its 25 degrees outside so I want to hit most likely fixes first.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2001 S 5MT
2 Posts
Potential Fix, Condensed Fix List

I'm not sure how this happened in the first place or why Subaru decided this was a good idea, but here's the solution to my cruise control woes.

There's a hole in the clutch pedal arm through which the end of a switch appears to go.
To the left (or right if you live in a weird country), there's a two-part clip that fits perfectly into that hole. Put the white bit in before the button to ensure it will not come out. If you don't want to do that or don't have that clip anymore, I think duct taping a piece of popsicle stick over the hole would work just as well.
Voilas, cruise works again!

Condensed list of possible solutions: make sure your pressed the cruise button, check clutch pedal switch (as described above), check cruise fuse (brake lights or reverse lights), check connection on brake pedal switch (in engine bay), or replace neutral switch (on transmission).

Best of luck!:grin2:

Attachments

·
Registered
2001 Forester S
5 Posts
I have the same problem only my car it an automatic and has 211,000 miles on it and it never worked. When I got the car it had 207,000 miles on it. I have changed the brake light switch because the print shows it as part of the CC release. I have considered swapping out the CC Control Modual?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts