Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
04 Forester XT 5Sp
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 04 Forester XT manual 5sp. I'm not sure what else to check to get my cruise control working again. I've have no CELs and the cruise light is on and turns on and turns off with switch. My Speedo is working and showing correct speed. I have buttons/stoppers under all 3 places on the clutch and brake pedals. I did have to replace the speed sensor because it was broken during shipping. Any other known issues or things I should check/test?
Thanks,
Randy

·
Registered
04 Forester XT 5Sp
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I also did a quick check with my accessport and it appears the neutral safety switch is active, in gear it's on out in neutral it's off.

·
Registered
2007 2.5XT Limited 4EAT
343 Posts
If it's a cable actuated system I would start by checking for a broken vacuum line. If your 04 is a drive by wire system you should check for a blown fuse. Since your cruise light comes on you can probably rule out that switch. It sounds like your car starts so you can probably rule out the clutch safety switch as well. You know that the neutral safety switch is working, and as long as you have brake lights you can rule out both of those switches too. The only other hardware involved are the ECM, BCM, and possibly the ETC (electronic throttle control module) (if your car is drive by wire). If all else is right with the world you can likely rule out those items too. It's not often one of those modules fails in the first place, and very unlikely that your car would behave normally if any of them did. My money is on either a broken vacuum line or a blown fuse.

·
Registered
04 Forester XT 5Sp
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's an xt so it's dbw. I did check the 2 switches on the clutch they both seem correct. I even swapped out the paddle for accel/decel/cancel. I replaced the vss with a cheapo one wondering if that maybe an issue, even though the Speedo works, I'll check that against the accessport also make sure they close. Any ideas on what fuses control the cruise, I found one thing saying 16 (i think) but that was for the dbc models. Either way that fuse was fine.

·
Super Duper Admin Guy
2,890 Posts
@zcivic, Check the CC switch on the clutch pedal. Confirm the button has something to make contact with.

On my old `01 RS, the plug the button would contact making a happy circuit for the CC would occasionally fall out.

The last time it did, I used a peel n stick button/foot usually for furniture/soft close cabinets...

When you run your finger where the switch connects, if you feel a hole, then the plug is gone...

At least that was the case for me...

·
Registered
04 Forester XT 5Sp
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Unfortunately that button was the first thing I checked, not the issue. Also checked voltage off connector 137 pin 9 for the neutral switch all gears showed voltage, except neutral which is correct. Also logged with accessport vehicle speed which seems spot on also. I assume that is the speed that is input/output via ecu not from the cluster.

·
Registered
04 Forester XT 5Sp
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Issue is solved. It was the NSS but it wasn't bad. I have an 04 chassis and 05 transmission. They changed the switches between years. On the accessport it should be on in neutral and off in gear, so backwards from what I had.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts